Paint Shop

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
healey36

Re: Paint Shop

Postby healey36 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
healey36 wrote:What kind of paint did you use, Ruf? An acrylic? Some of the lacquer stuff dissolves foam, at least that’s been my experience.

Paint? I did not use any paint at all.

My bad...I thought you intimated that a coat of matte black was applied to the foam prior to the coal fill. Got it...

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:48 am

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

sarge

Postby sarge » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:35 am

I use foamcore board from the craftstore. You can actually get it in black, now, but never had a problem shooting it with whatever model paints I have to hand.

Done outside the car, covered in real coal "wetted" with water and a drop of washing up liquid, then 50/50 PVA and water to fix it, and you can make a load that tips out so the car can be run either loaded or unloaded as needed; perfect for loads in/empties out operation. A piece of balsa underneath holds it up and provides a fulcrum so you can tip it out with a finger.

If the load is to be fixed in place, tenders for one, then I just cut the foamcore to shape, then caulk it in with a hotglue gun being careful to make it water-tight. Once in place, add the coal, and wet and fix as above after putting the pile in the shape you want.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:58 pm

sarge wrote:Here's another "personal" loco.

A slide of PRR-lettered RSD12s at Dewitt sold on ebay back in December, while my MTJ account was deactivated:
Penn Central PC RSD12 DeWitt Yard East Syracuse NY 1968 Original Kodachrome
Sarge, any change that one of the parked vehicles belonged to you?

Tramp

Postby Tramp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 pm

Affect is a verb

Effect is a noun.

Simple, eh?
That a life will be spent gaining inches,
When this distance is read in miles.

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:11 am

Been a while since we have had any "Paint Shop", so here are a couple freightcars and such:
image.jpg

image.jpg

This was a carbody sent me by a good friend who had bought a "lot" off the bay. Whoever started it built a delightful mingle of old Athearn 50' boxcar parts (ends, roof, ladders, underside) and soldered up the sides in brass sheet, wire, and extruded t-stock. Had to make sonething of it, because it was cool, so I did.

Next, this early TTX flat:
image.jpg

image.jpg

It's a Max Gray, a model of the earliest of the old Pennsy Truc-Train cars. They transfered to Trailer Train when it was formed and wore this scheme when I paid any attention. Originally, they were chain-down equipped but TTX redid them with pedestals, so I cobbled up one that actually is part of the trailer in the model. It then just sits on the flat, pinned into one of the holes Max put in; nice and secure but easily removed.

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 am

Sarge, nice work!

Dan Weinhold
Lancaster, PA.

Robert

Postby Robert » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:36 am

Always good to see something you've had a hand in Sarge. Plus the disarray of a workbench in model building mode restores ones make something juices. Hoping the Hale is out of overspray reach.

Robert

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:27 am

Hmmm...that is very cool. Was that boxcar new equipment for the PC, or gear carried forward from Pennsy/NYC?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:18 pm

More, please.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

sarge

Postby sarge » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks, gents.

Healey, I have to admit the carbody is not a 100% replica of anything I could find. Rather than let my normal neurosis regarding prototype condemn the thing to merely sitting on a shelf in my workshop, I looked around for something sorta similar kinda and did it up. It would evoke more the cars bought during PC's life rather than one from before the Pennsy takeover. I freely admit, though, "evoke" is the word. Grin!

Roger, here is a New York Central Pullman Standard gondola, their "PS-5". Its actually a Lionel carbody; really nicely done. So, converted to scale with the trucks tucked up underneath as was typical, some other things added and cut away. This one is weathered a bit differently. Outside was sprayed with Roof Brown which was then wiped off with a cotton ball soaked in thinner using a downward direction. The floor inside is painted black, then drybrushed with light grey while the black is still wet which gives that weathered wood look. Again, the direction is important; this time the paint is pulled side-to-side in the same direction as the planks. Otherwise the inside is airbrushed with thinned Roof Brown.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Must be a recent Lionel. I have a whole bunch of the postwar long gons, none have those tie down cleats inside. Nice job.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:13 pm

That some of the builders/rebuilders/etc. are willing to be specific in how they do things in this hobby is important.
Seeing this post may encourage ithers to try similar projects. It often seems that some artists do not want to tell how something was done.
Thanks to all that do.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:23 pm

I have to ask. Is that a $32.00 spray can in your background? Car looks great. Much better the something shiny bright or overdone with horrid zebra stripes.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”