Paint Shop

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Chris Webster

Re: Paint Shop

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:38 pm

All-Nation F-units look really good in the Seaboard Coast Line scheme: Ebay #386487594160

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:37 pm

All-Nation F-units look really good in the Seaboard Coast Line scheme: Ebay #386487594160

Yes they do Chris , I think these were done with a MicroScale set I've used, a great set too and pretty much
will work on most any of SCL's fairly elaborate model roster especially if you're comfortable splicing stripes.
Opinion but silver road names/heralds/reporting marks look great on any dark scheme like Rice's post Champion black.

Have to give the seller credit for trying to get his listing/title and description right describing these AN F3 ABB's as E6's.
He obviously researched the A unit's road number(503) which was incorrectly applied by the builder but oddly correspond to the SCL's last E6''s, ironically Diesel Shop listed some surviving SCL F3's albeit in the 300 range back then.
Neat set though and kudo's to the buyer. Nice set indeed.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:45 pm

Here is another item out of Pete's Paint Emporium:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7wxzq9z9sfc3gvz6k2ynw/American-Standard-HW-14-1-Sleeper-MILW-Avalon-01.png?rlkey=3opgvhxm5ka9so23negmwcutf&dl=0
As usual. the second link is provided in case your browser is not showing the image at the first link.

This is a 14-1 open-section sleeper. As is typical, the window pattern on the two car sides is very similar but not quite identical:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nh2xcpa2543w2htfp0x5n/American-Standard-HW-14-1-Sleeper-MILW-Avalon-02.png?rlkey=112sfst4bhcpnxxvxv2jis681&dl=0

The car was built from an American Standard kit by Bob Jarvis, who I met through Dennis and Kathy Mashburn. Bob knew I was looking for an 14-1, which was the standard sleeper in the post-war Milwaukee Road Columbian, which was the secondary train from Chicago to Seattle-Tacoma. Bob built this model up and surprised me with it as a gift (trust me, I don't deserve such friends). He did leave the painting to me, which was more than fair but also a bad idea. A two-color paint job like this is currently above my skill level and I didn't think practicing on Bob's car was a good idea. Pete came to the rescue. Not only did he paint and letter it (One letter at a time on the car name), but also populated the interior and added window shades:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/plhzh30rs1b4n6c244exd/American-Standard-HW-14-1-Sleeper-MILW-Avalon-03.png?rlkey=mxitgv2hkkgx25zva4iolyvts&dl=0

Pete did say that Bob's car build was the best he has seen in his years of painting passenger cars. Note also, giving credit where it is due, that Pete's paint lines are clean and the decals are exceptionally well set. Wow!

I have a complete (and reasonably accurate) consist for the Columbian -- It was in fact the first complete train I managed to pull together. It's showing its age and wear a bit though, and has long needed some attention. Pete and I agree that it's best not to ship the 14-1, so he will bring it with him on his next trip to Dallas. That gives me time to get the rest of the consist all fixed up and ready.

Jim
Last edited by R.K. Maroon on Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slow progress is better than no progress

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:55 am

Jim, simply beautiful!

Dan Weinhold

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:24 pm

Thanks Jim
It was indeed a great build to work with and to further clarify, Bob installed the interior section seating and washroom dividers, including passengers!
My contribution to the interior detail was limited to the window glazing, shades and aisle rails only. I did learn some neat new tricks about modeling heavyweights studying Bob's technique here, foremost how to create a realistic looking roof canvas appearance and seams using permanently applied overlapping masking tape.
Genius stuff.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:22 pm

Here's another Milwaukee Road HW sleeper, fresh from Pete's Paint Shop:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ltawa0hu2szir1oonq3ll/GGD-PHD-12-1-Sleeper-MILW-Watertown-01.png?rlkey=5lnypaduzsjoee3fg095g6x0k&dl=0

This one is a Golden Gate Depot 12-1. It arrived from the factory as an unpainted model. Pete's disassembled it before painting. As with the 14-1, he added window shades to dress up the car.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/b87myzpnrs4d20tt0ncu3/GGD-PHD-12-1-Sleeper-MILW-Watertown-03.png?rlkey=na0iuximgqo2gm53imn1cwy5v&dl=0

GGD offered several if not most of their heavyweight cars in Milwaukee Road colors, but not the 12-1. It's a mystery to me why they didn't. By the way, the car name Watertown is prototypical. A photo of this car appears in one of the color guides.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”