KEY drive I never knew existed

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
sarge
Posts: 5138
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Dungfield Manor

Re: KEY drive I never knew existed

Postby sarge » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:37 am

Erik, I don’t recall a prime mover model inside any of these and Key thankfully had solid hoods then.

You might be thinking about OMI and PSC. They had a tit for tat door opening thing going on in that era. It got so bad the PSC RSD-5 was horrible to take apart. Nice solid heavy frame and the hood so full of opening doors that it was very easy to bend out of shape. I have one now, very much like the result of the rebuild, but first thing was to solder all those dam doors shut with the hood on a glass sheet just to straighten out the flobbery thing. Awful.

Both PSC and OMI put prime mover models in the hoods, and you could see them through the slotting in the roof. I painted many for the collectors who were really enthused about the “detail” but, like so many details heaped on models they were absolutely bogus. If those slots were there on an RS-series, that was the venting for the dynamic brakes, you saw the dissipation array through there, not the top of an engine. Same with those infamous flip up hatches on OMI’s Alcos; you see a block, not the equipment that was over the block. Details, details, no matter the wrong details.

The Key/Samhongsa RS-series really was under-appreciated because old-timers were suspicious of the drive. They were typical mid-80s Sam; solid, good representations of specific configurations, easy to work with, run nicely. Looking back, that was when Sam were just hitting their stride, and the models they did at the time for Key and Oriental need make no apology today:

Image
Image

Meanwhile, with PSC and OMI, on any that I own, I solder them shut and actually have to do some “de-detailing”. Better structure, less detailed but more accurate (novel concept. Grin!)

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: KEY drive I never knew existed

Postby up148 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:59 am

To my knowledge, the only KEY models that attempted to simulate a prime mover inside were the last few imports from FM. They used two flat brass sheets, shaped like a prime mover profile and stood vertical inside the model, so you saw it looking through the open side screening; but they still had the center motored tank drive system. These prime mover sheets blocked the interior (motor, wiring, etc) from being seen when looking at the model from the side.

The only OMI model I've owned or seen with a prime mover modeled inside was the 8500 HP Gas Turbine. It had a beautiful turbine engine model inside the "B" unit, but the "B" unit was unpowered, so there was plenty of room inside.

I used to have photos of a RS loco (can't remember if plastic or brass) the Lee Turner built/converted for someone and all the side doors opened exposing a prime mover model inside; plus it had his fabulous weathering. It might just be the finest model I've seen and looked absolutely real photographed on his diorama.

BTW Sarge, that is a beautiful RS-5. I had no idea KEY offered a RS with opening doors. It looks great!

User avatar
Erik C Lindgren
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:37 pm
Contact:

Re: KEY drive I never knew existed

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:24 am

Key PA engine room

I took these images while installing DCC on my Rio Grande set earlier this Summer and posted them before however feel it advantageous to include them in this thread for future reference. Please excuse the poor image quality.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I am beyond thrilled and happy with these models.
Last edited by Erik C Lindgren on Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: KEY drive I never knew existed

Postby up148 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:15 am

I've never owned one of the KEY diesels with the prime mover detail and have only seen photos when Gary Schrader was installing DCC in an E8 or E9. But, it looks like they put a little more in there than I realized. Looks very nice and certainly better than seeing motor and wiring.............thanks for the photos.

As far as not being up to MMW standards, at least Dave delivered, something we've yet to see out of Erik. KEY also tries to keep the price within reason, something else MMW doesn't. These are beautiful models and the SF paint scheme just sets them off.

User avatar
Erik C Lindgren
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:37 pm
Contact:

Re: KEY drive I never knew existed

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:40 am

I apologize for ranting Butch. Have a great day !
Last edited by Erik C Lindgren on Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: KEY drive I never knew existed

Postby bob turner » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:34 am

Glad Butch clarified that - it was not clear who was calling the Key Diesels junk. Now I assume it was one of the MMW "true believers?"
And yes, those are stunning - surely the benchark for model PAs.

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: KEY drive I never knew existed

Postby up148 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:50 pm

Erik C Lindgren wrote:I apologize for ranting Butch. Have a great day !



Erik, your posts and photos are never rants and there is always something to be gained and most times a lot to be gained. The PA's are exceptional.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests