Scalecoat

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
SWrailroader
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2024 11:24 am

Scalecoat

Postby SWrailroader » Fri Sep 18, 2026 6:12 am

While perusing the latest issue of O Scale Resource, I was surprised to learn that Scalecoat paint is still available but only in bottles. I purchased spray cans from the owner after Weaver, and they were fine. Not sure if this is the same company or a new one.

https://scalecoat.com/collections/in-st ... y=1&page=1

86TA355SR
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:52 pm

Re: Scalecoat

Postby 86TA355SR » Fri Sep 18, 2026 8:47 am

It’s a completely different company.

They’ve been doing a lot of work to bring SC back to the market-location change from previous owner, a supplier issue (s), etc. The new line, which is supposed to be a match with previous SC line, will be available in 1 oz bottles. Many may remember previous owner offered 1 or 2 oz bottles. No longer the case.

No sign or knowledge of spray cans being available.

If you go to their site, there’s a “request” form, highly encourage taking a few minutes. Every color I asked for is now listed for sale/available.

Glad to see SC return.

Aaron

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Scalecoat

Postby De Bruin » Fri Sep 18, 2026 12:18 pm

They're indeed shipping paint now, I have a friend who is doing a post-war B&O train in HO styrene that just received his order of Scalecoat II colors for it. He lives in Dallas and is waiting for the temperature to drop down some before applying it as his paint booth is in his garage. I'm looking forward to his report on the results as he is one the best in the business and taught me a lot about the process.
On a related note their first re-issue was a reformulation of the Scalecoat II "Wash Away" paint remover. I sprung for two bottles but have yet to use it as I still have some of the original stuff left and it still works well.
I have compared the new two versions of Wash Away, the original is one of the best agents for removing factory silk finishes but has that nauseating "poopey diaper" smell. Charming. The new one apparently doesn't and the fluid has an odd green tint, I'll report back on its efficacy as I intend to employ it on an entire Alco Century pvc shell soon.
On a different note I've had to suspend my modeling activities for the past six months to deal with a large basement foundation repair that required disassembly of roughly half of "Trackworld" :(
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42168
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Scalecoat

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Sep 19, 2026 12:14 pm

86TA355SR wrote:No sign or knowledge of spray cans being available.


I would not expect to see those return; just an added level of costs and complications combined with too much disdain from too many modelers regarding the use of rattle cans.

I am just about dry on the 2 remaining such SC cans. Spray head was exceptionally well designed and gave surprisingly good control. Paint still took days to cure before you could apply decals.
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.

86TA355SR
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:52 pm

Re: Scalecoat

Postby 86TA355SR » Sat Sep 19, 2026 5:02 pm

Just posted for general information. Thought others may be interested.

I’ve never used the SC spray cans but told by others they were excellent and many reiterated the same comment about nozzle design.

An old metal mail box with a 300 W light bulb inside and a fews hours will speed up the drying time.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42168
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Scalecoat

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Sep 19, 2026 5:34 pm

86TA355SR wrote:An old metal mail box with a 300 W light bulb inside and a fews hours will speed up the drying time.


I'm usually painting outside over blacktop where it gets so hot that resin cars will warp! Brass ones require gloves to pick up. Still takes 2-3 days thereafter before I'm confident that I can safely decal. Not a problem either - not in any rush as I always have other projects to futz about with on the bench.
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.

Chris Webster
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Scalecoat

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Sep 20, 2026 4:38 pm

De Bruin wrote:On a different note I've had to suspend my modeling activities for the past six months to deal with a large basement foundation repair that required disassembly of roughly half of "Trackworld" :(

Oh no!

I have a box of cork roadbed you can have if you can use it in your rebuilding. I have not use for it; the seller advertised it as homabed and I didn't look carefully enough at their pictures... doh!

I hope your foundation problems weren't caused by a sinkhole. Those can be scary expensive to fix. I've been watching atlantasinkhole dot com's tiktok videos and it is rather amazing to me how common buried debris pits are in local subdivisions.

Chris Webster
Posts: 945
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: Scalecoat

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Sep 20, 2026 5:24 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I would not expect to see those return; just an added level of costs and complications combined with too much disdain from too many modelers regarding the use of rattle cans.
HO modelers are getting surprisingly (to me) good results from regular rattle cans. For example, here's a blog post that describes using Rustoleum flat white primer on HO resin vehicle kits: HO scale resin trucks

They're also using Rustoleum's Camo paint on track - here's a video showing that:
Joes2fst4u Model RR - How to Easily and Quickly Paint Track for your Model Train Layout
The rattle can is shown at the 2:32 mark and at the 4:33 mark he shows that the wood grain detail (on the molded plastic ties) is still visible after painting.
I am just about dry on the 2 remaining such SC cans. Spray head was exceptionally well designed and gave surprisingly good control.
I wonder if those SC spray heads could be cleaned and reused on Rustoleum rattle cans?

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42168
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Scalecoat

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Sep 20, 2026 6:08 pm

Chris Webster wrote:HO modelers are getting surprisingly (to me) good results from regular rattle cans.


I regularly use Rustoleum rattle can paints, Gloss and Matte Clear, too. For what I'm painting they are adequate.

I wonder if those SC spray heads could be cleaned and reused on Rustoleum rattle cans?


Interesting thought. Once I kill 1 of the last cans I'll salvage the spray head and see what's possible.
We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 104 guests