Truck assembly question

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
gregj410
Posts: 2638
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Maryland

Truck assembly question

Postby gregj410 » Thu May 11, 2023 6:09 pm

I’m asking this question here for two reasons the first is that it’s two rail (On30) the second is I find this side of the forum to be pretty well mechanically inclined. Ultimately, I will post this over on the modelers thread on the three rail forum. My question is in the assembly of these trucks. I find you need a third or fourth hand to really make this happen. However, I’ve come up with a way that seems to work reasonably well, the pictures should explain below. I would like to know if somebody has a better method or a jig of some sort to hold the wheel sets and the truck side frames in place while you set the bolster from the top. I used a combination of set up blocks to hold things in place while I assembled the trucks.

Image


Image



Image



Image



Image



Image

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: Truck assembly question

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu May 11, 2023 8:00 pm

What holds the bolster on the sideframe after you drop the bolster on pivots? Also, I hope that you have the insulated wheels on the same side.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Truck assembly question

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu May 11, 2023 8:01 pm

It gets more fun when you have to put the springs into the side frames while holding everything together.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: Truck assembly question

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu May 11, 2023 8:12 pm

Been there, done that! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 90 guests