The Saginaw PRR G5

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby bob turner » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:18 am

The Mustang is converted completely - brakes, rear axle, steering, wheels - 14 mpg, down from 24. And the other one was already a V8 4-speed. We had a Fastback for a while - sorry I sold that. the 67 in the hangar is my partner's car - really low mileage. I had just put a new bumper on it and done some minor body work.

Back to the G5 for just a minute - this is a repeat of the existing model:

Image

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:22 pm

Somewhere in my stash, I have a 4-6-0 Pennsy/Long Island version, it is painted but unlettered. It is extremely heavy, the boiler must be full of lead, the motor in the tender. There is no evidence of third-rail shoes so I suspect that it is two-rail. Someday I will czech it out. Note that I am kind of partial to the smaller steamers. He says after looking over his scratch-built/kit-bashed Challenger! Hey, I can consider it two small ones running together, a 4-6-0 and an 0-6-4! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: Strange, my favorite electrics are also "challengers": the NH EP-3 and the PRR GG1.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby E7 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:56 pm

bob turner wrote:And I would post on the UP Steam thread, but I am trying to not be the last name on each and every thread around here


Bob, I doubt anyone around here gives a crap about that kind of stuff, post away!

Rich

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby De Bruin » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:10 am

Love that engine Bob.
Back in 1981 Quadrant Press did a 66 page soft bound book titled "Long Island RR Memories " subtitled "The making of a steam locomotive engineer" that documents the author's (Richard J. Harrison) life as an employee of the LI firing and later running G5's and H class consols. It has tons of info on the physical challenges of having to hand bomb these as well as run them that is fascinating, additionally having numerous excellent and quite rare B&W photos of the good old days out on Long Island including some of electrics.
Epic and hands down one of my favorite books despite it's slim size.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby bob turner » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:32 am

Rich - I care. One of my friends noted a Piper cub forum and said all he saw was "bobturnerbobturnerbobturner" on all the threads. Makes it seem like I am not doing anything other than hammering at a computer.

In reality, this evening I have installed two driver tires and milled the slots for leaf springs in my G5 frame (the original has them cast in). And watched half of day three of the Jan 6 hearings. But yeah, I get a kick out of fora.

I note that I am getting hardened to the ways of internet fora. The first time I got hit for being a troll/jerk/libtard/whatever, I got my feelings hurt bad. I am getting better - note that I am still here. I would have assumed that Brian and Martin would long since have been hardened - but you can see we somehow lost two of our valued forumites.

Let me see what I have tonight - note to Pete - I may have that book. I definitely have a lot of PRR books - Stauffer, Ball, Carlson, and others.

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby bob turner » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:36 am

Here we go - not mine, but I spend between four and six hours in it per week, as the duty instructor. It is as old as I am, and has been lovingly restored.

Image

sleepmac
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby sleepmac » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:36 am

Bob, that plane is beautiful!

Dan Weinhold

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:06 pm

Even I would not mind going up in that thing; And I seriously dislike flying; well, at least the commercial version. :mrgreen:

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby E7 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:09 pm

It ain't a stealth fighter, but I LOVE the paint! :mrgreen:

Rich

PS: Whenever I hear the name: Long Island, I think about an evening years ago when myself and a bunch of friends were in a bar/restaurant on the Jericho Turnpike. 3 of us were in a VW beetle, and when we left the place, we found someone had slashed one of the rear tires. Two of us lifted the rear end, and the guy that owned it put the spare on. Felt like it took him about two years! Remember the engines were in the back of those suckers! Both those guys are gone now, and I am the only on left to tell the tale. Not sure why the jack did not come into play, but I think alcohol might have been a factor!

up148
Posts: 4757
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby up148 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:24 am

Beautiful aircraft and it takes lots of time and money to restore one to that condition. Classic colors and love the rudder paint.

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby bob turner » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:07 pm

One more, and then I am drifting this thread into Mexicano 1001. Rivet impressions start this evening.

This one I purchased in 1962. I hired a duster pilot in Decatur, Alabama, to teach me to fly it. In 1967 I discovered that a licensed mechanic had stripped the threads in my carburetor, and used window putty to correct the problem. From that day to this, the only person who has touched my aircraft is Dan the cylinder guy, who does valve guides and valve seats for me. Everything you see, including the compound curved cowling, is done by me. Shiny paint is from 1981. Gone through four engine overhauls and two airframe overhauls. I have 5000 hours in it.

Image

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: The Saginaw PRR G5

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:58 pm

Nice. The only light plane that I have been in and was given about twenty minutes stick time was a Cessna 150. At least I think that it was 150; it was small, seated only two, and had Cessna painted on it.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 72 guests