This is a neat historical NASA film about soldering -- the section from the 3 minute mark to the 8:30 mark may be the best five and a half minute long explanation of soldering that has ever been filmed, IMHO:
1958 "ABOVE AND BEYOND" NASA SOLDER & SOLDERING TECHNIQUES ELECTRONICS INSTRUCTIONAL FILM XD48824
Soldering, as taught by NASA in 1958
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: Soldering, as taught by NASA in 1958
I was a NASA-certified solderer. Required when I worked on Flight Data Recorder, CVR's, Trip and Dates and other associated electronics. Not much different than USN Electronics Technician stuff, so I rolled right through the course.
Biggest thing is the wicking of solder up under the insulation. Strain relief. They'd strip your joints back and see.
Biggest kick for me is the PRC crap, especially model railroads, whee they save three cents a day on solder by NOT doing that. Vibration from running, the un-tinned bit turns into a brillo pad before it fails completely.
I've done literally thousands of radio/battery loco conversions, all done with NASA standards...they don't fail. 26 years later other than battery changes, still going strong.
Biggest thing is the wicking of solder up under the insulation. Strain relief. They'd strip your joints back and see.
Biggest kick for me is the PRC crap, especially model railroads, whee they save three cents a day on solder by NOT doing that. Vibration from running, the un-tinned bit turns into a brillo pad before it fails completely.
I've done literally thousands of radio/battery loco conversions, all done with NASA standards...they don't fail. 26 years later other than battery changes, still going strong.
Dave....gone by invitation
Re: Soldering, as taught by NASA in 1958
Great video Chris..............thank you. I too learned things I didn't really understand before.
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: sleepmac and 74 guests