O Scale Nat'l

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42166
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

O Scale Nat'l

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:41 pm

Anyone here going to Denver?
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:00 am

I will be at the show, along with three colleagues from the DFW O-scale club. We are bringing our portable traction layout. I will also be giving a "clinic", which will be a survey of locomotive drives over the years, complete with video of drives in action and show-and-tell pass-arounds. Looking forward to seeing any and all.

Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size

User avatar
RDSRR
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby RDSRR » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:17 pm

Yes, making a vacation out of it.
Regards,

Dan

The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42166
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:14 am

2.......

Hmmmm..............
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
Erik C Lindgren
Posts: 1307
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:37 pm
Contact:

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:17 am

3 :lol:

User avatar
riogrande491
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:50 pm
Location: Northern Colorado
Contact:

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby riogrande491 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:35 am

4 :mrgreen:

With a week and a half to go, roughly 150 had registered and the banquet was nearly full.
Last edited by riogrande491 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
A&O Historical Society

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42166
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:04 am

riogrande491 wrote:.......roughly150 had registered and the banquet was nearly full.


how many of the 150 are the vendors?
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
riogrande491
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:50 pm
Location: Northern Colorado
Contact:

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby riogrande491 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:20 pm

Martin -

I have no sauce about how many are vendors. Come to Denver and find out.
Bob
A&O Historical Society

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42166
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:42 am

riogrande491 wrote:Martin -

I have no sauce about how many are vendors. Come to Denver and find out.


That's the lack of helpfulness that I was looking for and will encourage attendance......and if you'll pick up the tab for travel, hotel, and expenses, I might.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

up148
Posts: 4757
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby up148 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:07 am

Wow, you never cease to amaze me Martin, Bob was merely passing on a fact that he knew, it's not his job to research and answer our questions. I see elements of the "Club Car" bleeding over into our 2R modeling forum and that is sad.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42166
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:10 am

up148 wrote:Wow, you never cease to amaze me Martin, Bob was merely passing on a fact that he knew, it's not his job to research and answer our questions. I see remnants of the "Club Car" bleeding over into our 2R modeling discussion and that is sad.


No, not at all. And I was not aware that asking questions was a forbidden action or something akin to kicking the sacred cow here. I'm really curious and also concerned about their attendance numbers - I'm hoping for their success as I've seen and attended conventions that failed miserably. Figuring the size of the usual selling pit, that 150 might be a significant number of the registrants - I'm hoping that's not true and is exclusive of the vendors. That would be a far better bit of information.

Sad is telling me to attend on 2 weeks notice -- for me to attend events takes 9-18 months advance planning. 2 weeks or 2 months just doesn't cut it. Sadder still is the presumption is that everyone is a retiree that can just drop and run to wherever, whenever.

Right now I'm try to figure out whether I can get to Chicago - btw, it's in April in 2022. Unclear if I can get to Indy in October; seems like everyone is having their meet or convention in October; Indy, East Penn, NMRA, York, etc., etc.....and model RR'ing is still dying.

But, I'm really wondering just how much longer National O Scale conventions will be realistic to hold; very few in the last 15 years have been actual conventions with a real array of double digit numbers of clinics, open houses, op sessions, etc. That O scale might not be able to sustain conventions while other segments and scale groups of model RR'ing would be sad.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

up148
Posts: 4757
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby up148 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:23 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:Wow, you never cease to amaze me Martin, Bob was merely passing on a fact that he knew, it's not his job to research and answer our questions. I see remnants of the "Club Car" bleeding over into our 2R modeling discussion and that is sad.


No, not at all. And I was not aware that asking questions was a forbidden action or something akin to kicking the sacred cow here. I'm really curious and also concerned about their attendance numbers - I'm hoping for their success as I've seen and attended conventions that failed miserably. Figuring the size of the usual selling pit, that 150 might be a significant number of the registrants - I'm hoping that's not true and is exclusive of the vendors. That would be a far better bit of information.

Sad is telling me to attend on 2 weeks notice -- for me to attend events takes 9-18 months advance planning. 2 weeks or 2 months just doesn't cut it. Sadder still is the presumption is that everyone is a retiree that can just drop and run to wherever, whenever.

Right now I'm try to figure out whether I can get to Chicago - btw, it's in April in 2022. Unclear if I can get to Indy in October; seems like everyone is having their meet or convention in October; Indy, East Penn, NMRA, York, etc., etc.....and model RR'ing is still dying.

But, I'm really wondering just how much longer National O Scale conventions will be realistic to hold; very few in the last 15 years have been actual conventions with a real array of double digit numbers of clinics, open houses, op sessions, etc. That O scale might not be able to sustain conventions while other segments and scale groups of model RR'ing would be sad.


Sorry, but if "That's the lack of helpfulness that I was looking for" is asking a question then you need to polish up your people skills.

How about, "thanks, but I'm unable to attend, if you (Bob) hear additional attendance figures please make another post". Anything with the slightest amount of gratitude for Bob taking the time to include us, since I doubt many of us will be able attend.

I agree with you, most O Scale shows have been on the endangered list for a long time.

Carey Williams
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby Carey Williams » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:01 am

Hello all ...look forward to seeing all who are heading to Denver .... I'll be giving a talk about vintage O scale 1920's-1955 ...

One of the pieces I'm bringing for display is F W Gresham"s Erie J-1 Pacific ... Gresham traveled to the 1947 NMRA convention from his home in Fort Wayne , Ind ...on trains via Denver with his Pacific ..running it on various club layouts throughout the trip ..including the Denver club in the basement of Union Station ....if you would like to see the engine run ..please see video link

https://youtu.be/-1xUGIcwIqo

Hope to see you in Denver
Cheers Carey

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42166
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: O Scale Nat'l

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:07 am

Carey Williams wrote:Hello all ...look forward to seeing all who are heading to Denver .... I'll be giving a talk about vintage O scale 1920's-1955 ...

One of the pieces I'm bringing for display is F W Gresham"s Erie J-1 Pacific ... Gresham traveled to the 1947 NMRA convention from his home in Fort Wayne , Ind ...on trains via Denver with his Pacific ..running it on various club layouts throughout the trip ..including the Denver club in the basement of Union Station ....if you would like to see the engine run ..please see video link


Very cool, Carey!
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], SWrailroader and 43 guests