This looks like a fun kit to build......

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
herronpeter
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Clifton Park, NY

This looks like a fun kit to build......

Postby herronpeter » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:09 pm

Anyone ever tackled one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124637424296

Peter

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: This looks like a fun kit to build......

Postby De Bruin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:08 pm

I've never done one of their dome cars, I have a junker and an un-built kit too, the used ones I find all have had damaged domes as the printed
acetate gets brittle with age, which was accelerated if the original builder used incandescents for the interior lights.
If/when I get around to one of these I will try and fabricate the dome ribbing and roof from brass and then fit the windows one by one. At least that's the plan.
I understand Kasiner based this on one of the car plans for the PS "Train of Tomorrow" domes that wound up on the UP on that daytime rotation between Seattle and Portland. Pretty snazzy.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: This looks like a fun kit to build......

Postby bob turner » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:14 am

I love Kasiners, but some aspects were less than pleasing. I junk the masonite and the truck sideframes, and make my own rather thick end plates. I often machine the door recesses, and on the long ones, chop off the part where Kasiner notched for the flimsoid door. Negative on that dome car.

My domes are Mac Shops, with the correct extrusion and Kemtron domes. I need to ship my "Ruth Glacier to pete for glazing - I hate windows. I just curl a piece of acetate inside and call it a day.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 84 guests