New Monitor

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

New Monitor

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:38 pm

Boy, this is fun.

Dell Ultra Wide 34" curved monitor.

Trying to get my eyeballs to take it all in.

Looked it up...boy, are these EXPENSIVE!

But the cost was just what I'd pay for one.

While digging around for DVI-HDMI cables, and DMS-59 to DVI "Y" cable, I found a six-port USB card that fits my Precision 490 and it's for XP. Saved myself another $40.
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: New Monitor

Postby rogruth » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Whachoo talkin' 'bout Willard oops Dave?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: New Monitor

Postby E7 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:43 pm

rogruth wrote:Whachoo talkin' 'bout Willard oops Dave?


Willard was the guy with the rats......other than that, I agree!

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: New Monitor

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:33 am

Hint:

Don't get one.

At over $700 for the monitor, you get lost in it at 34" wide.

I think I'll give it back.
Dave....gone by invitation

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: New Monitor

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:49 am

ScaleCraft wrote:Hint:

Don't get one.

At over $700 for the monitor, you get lost in it at 34" wide.

I think I'll give it back.


I have friends that have 2 of these or bigger on their desks. I think that they are compensating for other deficiencies.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: New Monitor

Postby up148 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:39 am

Several people including my wife, son and myself had two monitors on our desk when running our business and it was extremely helpful. I didn't really need two, but both wife and son did. For me it was nice being able to keep one monitor open on company business (invoicing, inventory, sales history, etc., etc) and one to use for the internet, file searching and going to my favorite train forum :D . Wife used to have 3-4-5 windows open on each monitor, but she handled all accounting, HR, insurance, banking, etc.

I have a 32" or 34" curve monitor right now, but seldom use it on full screen. But, I'm able to see all my icons on one side, while this window is open and can have two windows open side by side and still see icons. I seldom use two windows now, but it was handy at work.

Don't use full screen Dave. Try shrinking it down, by clicking the sizing button next to the "X" for closing your window. I'm a computer dummy so if I'm telling your something you already know just ignore me.

User avatar
ScaleCraft
Posts: 6693
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: New Monitor

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:53 am

I've tried resizing, making smaller, all that.

One of the neat tricks with XP is if you drag the edges to where you want them, it remembers.
Use the resize button, you get two choices.
Dave....gone by invitation

up148
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am

Re: New Monitor

Postby up148 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:17 pm

Biggest negative for me is they take up too much desk space.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: New Monitor

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:20 pm

up148 wrote:Biggest negative for me is they take up too much desk space.



Image
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests