whatizit?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Chris Webster
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: whatizit?

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:25 pm

I think this is an Custom Brass/NJ International RS3:
Ebay #224204586312 - Brass Alco RS-3 Diesel Locomotive O Scale 2 Rail CN # 3018

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: whatizit?

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:01 pm

I have a pair of NJCB GP30s with CLW drives, they had run quite well when I had access to a layout to run them. One of the gears on one truck broke (I never bothered to replace it) so I made it into a dummy. Any layout that I could conceive of building would never need two powered units anyway.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: whatizit?

Postby E7 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:37 am

Chris Webster wrote:I think this is an Custom Brass/NJ International RS3:
Ebay #224204586312 - Brass Alco RS-3 Diesel Locomotive O Scale 2 Rail CN # 3018


Very likely so. They are on the list and the drive looks a lot like the S1's in this thread.

Chris Webster
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Re: whatizit?

Postby Chris Webster » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:20 am

ScaleCraft wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-2-Rail-O-Scale-Brass-Alco-S-1-Diesel-Locomotive-DNR/392980324535
Chipped and dented, handrails pulled out of cab, backhead looks...strange.
Is that All-Nation trucks with Delrin chain and no chain on one? Seller says "broken gear".
Open frame motor,
Plate on cab says "American".
Five bidders ran it up to $512.99 -- one dropped out at $55, another dropped out at $275, another at $320, and the fourth dropped out at $502.99, so the "winner" got it at $512.99.

I just reread the description and looked at the pictures again -- my guess is that one of the geared axles is locked up and that caused the chain and gear to break. I have an A-N gearbox that locked up and, AFAIK, the only fix is to replace it.

If anyone has a spare, you should list it on ebay for $100 buy-it-now (because the bidder who was willing to pay $512.99 is going to be needing one real soon.)


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests