Obscure Walthers MU "parade-o-weirdness" continues at Trainz......

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
sleepmac
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Re: Obscure Walthers MU "parade-o-weirdness" continues at Trainz......

Postby sleepmac » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:28 am

I'll echo Rufus's sentiments. Great indeed!

Dan Weinhold

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Obscure Walthers MU "parade-o-weirdness" continues at Trainz......

Postby De Bruin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:18 pm

Thanks guys, the bonus is they actually ran upon arrival after some minor cleaning and lube. By itself, just one of the powered cars does not have enough ‘umph to pull the unpowered coach up the ruling grade by itself, so both are required.

Image

Kind of enjoying the grind and growl in operation not unlike the actual Mp-54’s.
Image
I had forgotten how noisy these Wagner drives are, also strange in either direction at constant speed the headlights have an odd fluctuation in intensity that seems cyclical. Weird.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Obscure Walthers MU "parade-o-weirdness" continues at Trainz......

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:02 pm

I rode so many of those from Rosemont to Berwyn and to 30th Street Station - I may someday have to have a set.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Obscure Walthers MU "parade-o-weirdness" continues at Trainz......

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:50 am

De Bruin wrote:Thanks guys, the bonus is they actually ran upon arrival after some minor cleaning and lube. By itself, just one of the powered cars does not have enough ‘umph to pull the unpowered coach up the ruling grade by itself, so both are required.


Might be a little cautious about load on those drive on a grade -- no idea which gearing they have vs. the weight of the cars.

I had forgotten how noisy these Wagner drives are, also strange in either direction at constant speed the headlights have an odd fluctuation in intensity that seems cyclical. Weird.


Might benefit from a drop or 3 of oil.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Obscure Walthers MU "parade-o-weirdness" continues at Trainz......

Postby R.K. Maroon » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:20 am

De Bruin wrote:....in either direction at constant speed the headlights have an odd fluctuation in intensity that seems cyclical. Weird.


The first thing I would do is make sure that the wheels are really clean. If there are wheel-wipers for pickup then inspect those as well to make sure they are making clean contact at all wheel positions.

If there is no problem there, then it may be that the size of the wire between the track pickups and the motor is a bit too small, so that there is a load-dependent voltage drop in the wire. The load dependency would be due to slight imperfections in the gearing. I have found this all too common in old steam locomotives, but with them the load dependency is usually due to mild binding somewhere in the valve gear. If you have an ammeter on your throttle you may be able see the fluctuation.

One test of this theory is to move the headlight wire from the motor (where it usually is) to the truck pickup. Or simply double up the pickup wires to the motor (even temporarily).

Or it may be something else I haven't thought of. Other ideas out there?

Really good looking units, Pete. Excellent restoration.

Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Obscure Walthers MU "parade-o-weirdness" continues at Trainz......

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:53 pm

Nice work Pete! I've always been fond of those P54's. Those portholes in the ends always reminded me of large eyes staring back, so I call them "Owls" LOL. If you're doing PRR electics those and the GG1 are pretty much a must have!

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: Obscure Walthers MU "parade-o-weirdness" continues at Trainz......

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:20 pm

De Bruin wrote: ...snip... I had forgotten how noisy these Wagner drives are ...snip...

None of my Wagner drives are noisy, yours might need some attention.

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Obscure Walthers MU "parade-o-weirdness" continues at Trainz......

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:50 am

J. S. Bach wrote:
De Bruin wrote: ...snip... I had forgotten how noisy these Wagner drives are ...snip...

None of my Wagner drives are noisy, yours might need some attention.


A few drops of oil and cleaning.....
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Obscure Walthers MU "parade-o-weirdness" continues at Trainz......

Postby De Bruin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:16 pm

I did actually grease and lube the Wagner drives before testing them, they were pretty well greased already, though the axles pockets were squeaky dry. That's all done now, they're still noisy. The un-powered trucks do seem to have a lot of rolling resistance even after re-lube. Maybe these have more mileage on them then I thought, the wheel in-gauge issues and tread surfaces certainly suggest that.
I think Jim's theory for the headlight fluctuation, that the wire gauge for parts of the harness is inadequate for the load is probably correct, I will experiment with thicker stranded replacement wire.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Obscure Walthers MU "parade-o-weirdness" continues at Trainz......

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:41 pm

De Bruin wrote:I did actually grease and lube the Wagner drives before testing them, they were pretty well greased already, though the axles pockets were squeaky dry. That's all done now, they're still noisy. The un-powered trucks do seem to have a lot of rolling resistance even after re-lube. Maybe these have more mileage on them then I thought, the wheel in-gauge issues and tread surfaces certainly suggest that.
I think Jim's theory for the headlight fluctuation, that the wire gauge for parts of the harness is inadequate for the load is probably correct, I will experiment with thicker stranded replacement wire.


Might too much weight and drag on those drives then - think my heavier cars have drives in both trucks to counter that.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 39 guests