Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
2railjon
Posts: 15906
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:33 pm

Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Postby 2railjon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 pm

Is there something special about this that I should be aware of??
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4166082408

It’s actually priced higher than Lionel Smithsonian Passenger cars sold separately.
I’ve got a couple GGD Heavyweight Undecorated Pullman’s i was thinking of offering on EBay for $75 plus shipping. Should I jack my price up to say 375? :D
Running that red block Charlie.

User avatar
RDSRR
Posts: 931
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:06 pm

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Postby RDSRR » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:57 pm

2railjon wrote:Is there something special about this that I should be aware of??


It's got big fancy couplers?
Regards,

Dan

The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/

User avatar
De Bruin
Posts: 988
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Postby De Bruin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:11 pm

Jon, it's a cool model, having some cachet across multiple manufacturers and even the occasional built kit on d'bay, in my view because of very nice upper berth sleeper windows detail.
That said here, I think the seller’s price is driven by the 3-rail world’s desire to “collect them all”
This is not even the best work GGD has done; I believe it’s a part of their earlier production that still employed the Lionel-like end caps and therefore not really comparable to finer versions of this plan# by importers like Precision, and only slightly better than well-built ALW or the even the BCM’s.
Opinion, GGD has learned a lot since they did this series.

But given it’s all a limited run, and that the post war Century is a very popular train with a lot of 1’48’ers, I would not be surprised if a 3-rail collector or NYC fan went for it at this price if it was missing from their collection.

All opinion.
Political Consultant- Tap into the hidden powers of your public office, insure your future is jail free, well funded. Visit shock and awe upon your adversaries, dominate the media, thrill your followers. contact morbo@happydaysrhereagain.com

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Postby E7 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:15 am

De Bruin wrote:But given it’s all a limited run, and that the post war Century is a very popular train with a lot of 1’48’ers, I would not be surprised if a 3-rail collector or NYC fan went for it at this price if it was mssing from their collection. All opinion.


I believe Pete pretty much nailed it. I think they came out circa 2009, numbers made per orders. A die hard 3-railer would want the lobster claws, and I believe the Smithsonian cars were all 2 rail. If you read the sellers description, the actual transaction might have involved most anything. Just a personal observation/opinion, but from what I see, among the Eastern stuff the 20th Century is most popular.

Rich

Chris Rock
Posts: 1480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:08 pm
Location: United States

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Postby Chris Rock » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:27 am

Another Golden Gate car, 10-6 48 Broadway Limited sleeper, went through the roof last night. It went for $440.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/K-Line-Item-K4 ... 3651137295

At the Strasburg show a few weeks ago there was an 8 car set of Golden Gate 37 Century cars for $1,050. Very nice. It seemed like a good price but I don't think they sold.

User avatar
rex desilets
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:18 pm

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Postby rex desilets » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:29 pm

Sort of astonished by the final price on the GGD B'Way car. A couple hunnert is about right. Anyways, i have all eight cars. My fortune is made :mrgreen:
On the NYC set..$1050 for eight cars is OK but not great..surprised no one bought them.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

User avatar
2railjon
Posts: 15906
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:33 pm

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Postby 2railjon » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:01 pm

$1050 for 8 cars is a nice price!!
Running that red block Charlie.

bob turner
Posts: 13647
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Postby bob turner » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:41 pm

Aren't they up to $350 each or so brand new?

I am lusting for a Skytop, but just assumed it would be a $3000 purchase for eight cars . . .

User avatar
rex desilets
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:18 pm

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Postby rex desilets » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:01 pm

bob turner wrote:Aren't they up to $350 each or so brand new?

I am lusting for a Skytop, but just assumed it would be a $3000 purchase for eight cars . . .
Quite possibly.
I suppose you could sell your aeroplane.. :lol:
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42164
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Is There Something Special About This GGD Car?

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:55 pm

bob turner wrote:Aren't they up to $350 each or so brand new?

I am lusting for a Skytop, but just assumed it would be a $3000 purchase for eight cars . . .


Apparently not. Of course making assumptions is fraught with danger.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests