An odd selling attitude here......

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: An odd selling attitude here......

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:41 pm

bob turner wrote:So does eBay facilitate hiding handling charges, which presumably are fixed, within the automatic shipping charges? If so, then it would make sense. Also insurance is fixed, and for a $2000 model that would be a huge chunk.

On the handling charge - handling is a very reasonable thing to charge for, but I personally think it should be up front, not hidden in the shipping charge.


You can set shipping to a flat rate and set the amount, or choose to let eBay generate that for you. I have never done the latter.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: An odd selling attitude here......

Postby bob turner » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Me neither. What I do is pull a number out of a hat, and guarantee a refund if shipping is less by more than a dollar.

I have never had any problems as a seller - except one item that I listed poorly. It sold for $50, and the buyer immediately re-listed it properly and sold it for $200. Can't complain much; all my other sales got me at least double what I expected.

As a buyer, I figure out what I think an item is worth to me, and will not bid if the total including shipping is above that. I assume without proof that that is common sense. This locomotive is not worth anything to me, because if I wanted one I have the parts here already.

However, on at least several items I have contacted the seller and was assured that only actual shipping would be charged. That has always worked well for me - refunds were always prompt.

The Bi-Polar is of interest, but my limit is $70 for a shell, and $100 or so for a shell with trucks and underframe. The listing I mentioned is already over that number, so I will simply pass, without rancor or any hard feelings. It is the seller's absolute right to ask for as much shipping $ as he/she wants, and to bury handling/profit in there as well. It is my absolute right to not buy it.

That seems simple to me.

E7
Posts: 8398
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:35 am

Re: An odd selling attitude here......

Postby E7 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:You can set shipping to a flat rate and set the amount, or choose to let eBay generate that for you. I have never done the latter.


How do you compensate for the variation in charges due to distance?

gnnpnut
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:24 pm

Re: An odd selling attitude here......

Postby gnnpnut » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:26 pm

I gotta go with Sarge on this, selling on e-bay has turned into a gigantic pain in the a$$.

I still purchase on e-bay, now usually items of a low dollar value like Mini-metals HO vehicles. I have not sold anything on e-bay for well over four years.

My last sale was a like new in box Pacific Fast Mail Denver and Rio Grande P-73 Pacific in HO. Very nice piece, and I had purchased it years ago with all intentions of painting and running it. Alas, I decided to shift my railroad's focus slightly, and sold off all but one piece listed below to concentrate on GN and NP.

Before I listed the model, I tested it to make sure it ran, and ended up changing the neoprene tube between the motor and gearbox. The valve gear appeared to be properly adjusted, and it ran back and forth over 20 feet of track, through switches, and around a 36 inch curve. Packaged nicely back in it's original box it went. Got packaged up in a nice USPS Priority mail box, filled to the brim in popcorn.

About three days later, I get a note from the buyer stating that the locomotive wouldn't run, bound up, sat there humming. Figured it was simply the eccentric loosened up and bound up the valve gear, asked if he wanted to check that. Further stated that if he wanted, he could return it to me at my expense, I would go thru it, fix what was wrong, and return it to him, at my expense. Or, if he wanted, he could send it back to me at his expense, and I would refund his money after I received the model. I explicitly stated in the listing that on any returns, the buyer paid the return postage. He returned the model to me, I refunded his money, and then the prique left negative feedback, which was the FIRST time I had that happen over more than 150 sales, with many of them brass locomotives. I protested to e-bay, and they didn't do a darn thing. Haven't used them to sell since.

I no longer have the intestinal fortitude to deal with this crap, so the P-73, along with a whole host of nice 3 rail brass, sits in my basement, waiting for retirement when I can explore options for selling this stuff. I'll probably try the consignment route (has success with that years ago), or I may just let one of the auction houses deal with it and get what I can by going that route. The lower payment is worth it for not having to deal with buyer BS.

Regards,
GNNPNUT

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: An odd selling attitude here......

Postby bob turner » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:12 pm

Nice to hear from you. I recall some pretty nice modeling efforts from your O gauge days.

Some of us are cut out for selling, others not so much. I am in the latter category, but have not had really bad experiences on eBay. I never buy anything for resale, and rarely sell anything. I am getting readyy to sell a 1966 Mustang convertible, and am not crazy about what I will be enduring - folks are always coming up to me and offering ten grand . . .

I am crazy about the Great Northern Empire Builder, with more than a few models in that spectacular paint scheme! Welcome back, sort of . . .

User avatar
sarge
Posts: 5138
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Dungfield Manor

Re: An odd selling attitude here......

Postby sarge » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:48 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
bob turner wrote:So does eBay facilitate hiding handling charges, which presumably are fixed, within the automatic shipping charges? If so, then it would make sense. Also insurance is fixed, and for a $2000 model that would be a huge chunk.

On the handling charge - handling is a very reasonable thing to charge for, but I personally think it should be up front, not hidden in the shipping charge.


You can set shipping to a flat rate and set the amount, or choose to let eBay generate that for you. I have never done the latter.


Apparently, sellers have figured out how to pad the eBay calculator, perhaps by exaggerating dimensions or weight. The result allows one to put a low "buy now" price on an item to get it to the top of price-based sorts, for one, or make something look much more attractive for the quick of finger. Either way, pretty sleazy and easily assertained by expressing interest in several items and asking for a combined shipping quote.

An example is an eBay shipping calc over $12 "economy shipping" for a small plastic kit of a few ounces within state. I chose several others and emailed a request for combined shipping. Not a peep, so obviously the combination $38 non-expedited shipping contains his profit margin.

Be patient and assiduous in your checks of every word in a description before buying. If there is a way of sleazing the system, sellers, especially the professional yard-salers, will exploit it. No-one is your friend on eBay anymore, buyer or seller.

Robert. You mention eBay will be collecting various sales taxes for sellers as a service. You can bet the fees will still be adjusted so you will be paying the freight.

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: An odd selling attitude here......

Postby bob turner » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:34 pm

Yes. Note my latest purchase - computed by eBay to be $52.00. Actual shipping cost $17.45.

gnnpnut
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:24 pm

Re: An odd selling attitude here......

Postby gnnpnut » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:19 pm

bob turner wrote:Nice to hear from you. I recall some pretty nice modeling efforts from your O gauge days.

Some of us are cut out for selling, others not so much. I am in the latter category, but have not had really bad experiences on eBay. I never buy anything for resale, and rarely sell anything. I am getting readyy to sell a 1966 Mustang convertible, and am not crazy about what I will be enduring - folks are always coming up to me and offering ten grand . . .

I am crazy about the Great Northern Empire Builder, with more than a few models in that spectacular paint scheme! Welcome back, sort of . . .


Hi Bob, always lurking here, living vicariously through others. Love O scale, just don't have the time and resources to do O and achieve my HO goals and objectives.

Regards,
Jerry

herronpeter
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Clifton Park, NY

Re: An odd selling attitude here......

Postby herronpeter » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:05 pm

The last 6 items I have sold have been in response to “looking for” posts on the O Scale Yardsale website. I have also purchased off the site and have had 0 problems and have made a couple of friends to boot!!

Peter

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: An odd selling attitude here......

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:35 pm

sarge wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
bob turner wrote:So does eBay facilitate hiding handling charges, which presumably are fixed, within the automatic shipping charges? If so, then it would make sense. Also insurance is fixed, and for a $2000 model that would be a huge chunk.

On the handling charge - handling is a very reasonable thing to charge for, but I personally think it should be up front, not hidden in the shipping charge.


You can set shipping to a flat rate and set the amount, or choose to let eBay generate that for you. I have never done the latter.


Apparently, sellers have figured out how to pad the eBay calculator, perhaps by exaggerating dimensions or weight. The result allows one to put a low "buy now" price on an item to get it to the top of price-based sorts, for one, or make something look much more attractive for the quick of finger. Either way, pretty sleazy and easily assertained by expressing interest in several items and asking for a combined shipping quote.


Trivial to pad the calculator - just entire false info and away you go. That there are less than honest sellers on eBay should hardly be a surprise to anyone. There are less than honest sellers and attendees (being polite...) at every show & meet that I attend.

As with purchasing stuff from anywhere - it's always has been and will continue to be caveat emptor.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

herronpeter
Posts: 748
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Clifton Park, NY

Re: An odd selling attitude here......

Postby herronpeter » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:44 am

The last six items I have sold were on the O Scale Yardsale site in “looking for....” posts. Every transaction was trouble free and I’ve made a couple of new friends to boot!!

Peter


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests