.

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
User avatar
webenda
Posts: 15413
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Columbia

Re: .

Postby webenda » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:35 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Nah, no argument here, Wayne. You are far too pleasant of a guy to do that with, and besides, every hobbyist is having his own good time of it being creative. Exchanging ideas sometimes works, but giving unsolicited advice/suggestion, as I did, is perhaps not a good idea - at least, not for me to do.

I find the huge variety in how each hobbyist, who has a layout, expresses himself and his interest in model trains to be intriguing. It's all play, adult play. I wouldn't want to intrude on anybody's personal expression of what is fun and correct for them. That's for sure.

Too late... thank you for the suggestion on the end clips/rail joiners/fishplates. If I just file the bottom of the protruding part of the clip it will soon look like the Otavi straps and yet still can be simply slid onto the rail with the part not filed on. I hadn't thought of that until you activated my mind with your comment to remove them. Arguing is good if nobody gets excited and starts SCREAMING.

ar·gu·ment
noun
1. an exchange of diverging or opposite views
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

User avatar
webenda
Posts: 15413
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Columbia

Re: .

Postby webenda » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:39 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Very interesting, and very welcome, information, Wayne. I would never have thought of the effect the desert's climate had on wooden ties, but it makes instant sense once pointed out.

I have never tried to model anything that I had not personally seen or experienced; thus, my modeling of product or as custom work, for customers and clients, had always been about the geography and climate of the Northeast of the USA, in particular, sights common to Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, and even Ohio and West Virginia.

Part of my enjoyment of the model railroad hobby is observing regional differences. Your modeling is so "busy" compared to desert modeling.

Image

Sorry two rail modelers, most of my modeling is with three rail track.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

User avatar
MurphOnMillerAve
Posts: 18489
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Kennywood Park
Contact:

Re: .

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Another voice I learned from on this forum is 2RailJon, even though he is not aware of the effect his modeling had on mine.

When constructing my layout, starting in the mid-90's, I did not give much thought to having ballast among the tracks. Quite some time later, I saw Jon's work with groundcovers and track ballasting when he was sharing views of his track areas on the 3rail forum. I was instantly impressed and tried to emulate his modeling, as best I could, even asking him what product(s) he utilized. He informed me about Dennis Brennen as a resource for such materials, so I immediately switched resources to Dennis and am glad I did.

Of course, we never "argued." I just observed, asked, and learned from a master of that kind of modeling.

User avatar
webenda
Posts: 15413
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Columbia

Re: .

Postby webenda » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:02 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Of course, we never "argued." I just observed, asked, and learned from a master of that kind of modeling.

Like I said, "Too late." You already helped me when you let me know you did not like the way the rail joiner looked and suggested removing it. I plan to remove part of it, leaving two straps showing.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

User avatar
2railjon
Posts: 15906
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:33 pm

Re: .

Postby 2railjon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:49 pm

LOL Murph! You got it back asswards!! I’m the absolute admirer of your fantastic layout and have always been impressed with your scratch built buildings!!! :D
Running that red block Charlie.

User avatar
rogruth
Posts: 24452
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:32 pm
Location: pembroke,ga

Re: .

Postby rogruth » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Murph & Jon,
You two convinced me to do some scenery other than the bare wood, wire and track that I had.
I was worried about what to do if I messed up. You both showed me where you had redone
stuf and it was no big deal. Thanks again.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 116 guests