Hobo Jungle

Play nice and have fun...
webenda

Re: Hobo Jungle

Postby webenda » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:10 am

I went over to the Auto Parts store in Russell Springs today to pick up a model train I had ordered a few days ago.

On the way back I spotted a pastoral scene near home, so I stopped and went out into the field to take a picture.

----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:14 am

If you have ever been around cattle you know they take a special interest in you.

Here they come!
Image[
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:28 am

The bull did something I have never experienced before. It stopped about 20 feet from me, turned sideways, and said something to me.

Have you ever heard the angry sound a bull makes when it asks you to leave? Mooing in rage" doesn't quite say what a one-ton animal that is about to charge sounds like. It is a bull's equivalent of roaring.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:01 am

Bulls don’t mess around. They are about as territorial as it gets. It’s surprising you are still intact and functioning, isn’t it. Very glad you are ok.

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:06 am

The train? When my wife saw it she decided it should be displayed in the window. She pulled the short gangway flexible connectors out of the cars and replaced them with the long ones. That looks better but even the long flexible connectors have a gap on the outside in the curves.

----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:22 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Bulls don’t mess around. They are about as territorial as it gets. It’s surprising you are still intact and functioning, isn’t it. Very glad you are ok.

Why thank you, Murph.

I have never been chased by a bull or a steer. I was chased by a cow once when I charged its calf to get the calf off the bicycle trail I was riding on.
Maybe the bull in the picture was just warning me to not get any closer to the cows and calves (seen under the Autumn Tree.)
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:10 am

Years ago, A friend of mine who is a vet by trade was nearly killed by a Hereford bull, an animal he’d cared for from birth. Like so many of the difficult professional experiences he had over the years, he always blamed himself for the incident. A bull can be a murderous animal.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:28 am

webenda wrote:I went over to the Auto Parts store in Russell Springs today to pick up a model train I had ordered a few days ago.

Not the HOBBY SHOP???

I see you got the ERROR TRAIN. A NICE looking model from what I can see, but the thing was never a favorite of mine. I saw it at Harrisburg when I was 11 or 12, and it was dislike at first sight. All the good stuff was across the river at Enola!

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:26 am

E7 wrote:
webenda wrote:I went over to the Auto Parts store in Russell Springs today to pick up a model train I had ordered a few days ago.

Not the HOBBY SHOP???

It was mail-ordered from a hobby shop 592 miles away.

Hobby shops with a nice selection of Lionel Trains are few and far between in Kentucky. I have visited and purchased old trains from Berkshire Trains & Vintage Toys in Lexington, Kentucky (one hour and 57-minute drive from me) and Roundhouse Electric Trains in Windy Hills, Kentucky (two and one-half hour drive.)

I ordered this MTH Aerotrain from The Toy Exchange in Mt. Airy, MD.
https://www.frederick.com/the_toy_exchange-sp-5087

UPS delivered it to the Advance Auto Parts Store in Russell Springs, only a 15 minute drive from home.
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:59 am

If anyone likes walking around in a hobby shop you can see a video taken while walkiing around in The Toy Exchang here:=> https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=ShUso ... 000&wts=.7
----Wayne----

--Merle Haggard

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:50 am

webenda wrote:It was mail-ordered from a hobby shop 592 miles away.

Hobby shops with a nice selection of Lionel Trains are few and far between in Kentucky. I have visited and purchased old trains from Berkshire Trains & Vintage Toys in Lexington, Kentucky (one hour and 57-minute drive from me) and Roundhouse Electric Trains in Windy Hills, Kentucky (two and one-half hour drive.)

I ordered this MTH Aerotrain from The Toy Exchange in Mt. Airy, MD.
https://www.frederick.com/the_toy_exchange-sp-5087

UPS delivered it to the Advance Auto Parts Store in Russell Springs, only a 15 minute drive from home.

Wayne, That's pretty wild, mostly the part about having it delivered to the Auto Parts store! That kind of stuff sounds like more of a two rail experience! :lol:

I recall when I was a kid (I am only slightly younger than you) when every hardware store and sporting goods place in my town carried Lionel during the holidays!

Up until recently there was a shop dedicated to Lionel trains and the like, but the owner retired.

Rich

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:06 pm

That is so cool that a company would accept UPS deliveries for you and others. I've seen UPS drop off points in unrelated stores, but didn't know you could take delivery at any.......reminds me of days gone by.

Yeah, as a young kid growing up in the 50's, I remember many hardware stores had train displays in the window at Christmas and boxed train sets for sale. Some had trains all year and that was cool too. Never could get enough exposure to trains.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:49 pm

webenda wrote:Image

Hmmm, I have an O scale EMD-style switcher that someone free-lanced a similar cab onto it. I never knew that there might be prototype with close similarities. Interesting. Thank you for posting that photo.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:57 pm

The Toy Exchange in Mt. Airy is just twenty minutes from my place. Haven't been in there in years, and I think it was exclusively a toy train shop before these guys took over. Maybe I should check it out.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:18 pm

It’s all fading away, isn’t it.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”