Hobo Jungle

Play nice and have fun...
Tramp

Postby Tramp » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:15 am

TT, something I invented, but obviously never produced, was a small speaker and audio chip that could be placed inside a chimney or anywhere it might echo and resonate inside your home. It could be programmed to play the passing of trains--steam, diesel, etc. and the trains would pass by (sound wise) any time of day you wished and as often or seldom as wished. I miss hearing trains come through. That way you could hear the Century pass through at 10:00 each night. I think the whole unit could be made for around 30. retail. I want one.
That a life will be spent gaining inches,
When this distance is read in miles.

San Diegan

Postby San Diegan » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:16 pm

I was feeling lonely and far from home. Thanks for calling us into the camp with a poem.

Vagabond San

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:17 pm

Old hobo trudges along the rails, making his way down from the yard. He hasn't eaten in two days. He slaps the boxcar dust from his pants, but more dust scuffles up with every step along this tired dirt. The vegetation's still dried, brown, brittle, but he hears the harsh *whirr-ree* of a red-winged blackbird from a trackside pond, and it cheers his heart, weary from a hard and punishing winter.

He thinks back on his friends, and the last he saw them, now scattered wide after the Incident. There was ol' drunk Trampy painting that parked-State Police car in Day-Glo paisley; Jackie, tough as a butternut, picking pecans in Walnut Creek for peanuts; San in a blonde wig, trying to sneak into the 'SF Gold Rush' cheerleading auditions at Santa Clara University; Dufus, teaching organic chemistry by day, 'lead' in a Chippendale's Revue by night; Wilbo, giving Hokey-Pokey lessons to retired-dowagers in Santa Rosa, and hoping to get lucky; and Stiff, good ol' Stiff, leaning on a pier at Monterey, plucking his uke and singing the blues: "My cranial membranes are just a memory, sometimes I think that Gold(tm) is bad for me, so then I stop thinking..."

Runamok sighs nostalgic. He pats his jacket, yanks out the unwrapped "30 Days to a Better You" motivational-tape from his pocket, ponders again on the motley crew, thinks "Yeah, right!", and lobs it into the middle of the pond. But then he stops dead in his tracks. 150 yards distant, he sees a thin wisp of smoke arising from a campfire, but it's the gawd-awful smell that gets his attention, the smell of garden mold and mutant fungus, the stinking mal-odor of a shoe-leather mulligan, rank, yet so familiar...

"Tramp!" he yells, and breaks into a run.

Tramp

Postby Tramp » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:13 pm

"By Gog, it's Peter. Hey, bud, where you been?"

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:09 pm

Tramp! Ain't you a sight for sore eyes! C'mere, man!
*Biiiiig hug*

What in tarNAtion you cooking there?
*Phee-yewwww*! I didn't eat for two days. Might be two days more.

Since we got kicked outa that other camp, I took the first ride oughtta town. Dang, if those OGRes didn't give me a goin'-away present too, some dang tapey-thing to help me see the error of my ways. I 'filed' it in that 'tank' back yonder.

You seen anybody else from the ol' crew?

Tramp

Postby Tramp » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:17 pm

"Man, now, I tried to tell you about all this here huggin' you keep wanten ter do. Easy, bud. Easy." Tramp pushes him back just a little. Peter don't smell all that great. "Well, them OGGers got Willy pretty much fooled. Sad ther see, but I ain't sayin' nothing. San, he been in quick, and a fellow by the name a Bock. He's named after the beer, you know. Nother feller TT come by, but I've purty much been tended the fire my lonesome. Cookin? You smell cookin? I think that's the chicken car a few tracks over."

JimTT

Postby JimTT » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:45 pm

I smell what yur cookin there, ya dun waked me up. I got some coffee n a pac a salteens I'l share with yuz ifin I can have some a yur vutels. I got me same pipe tabaca too.

Tramp

Postby Tramp » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:41 pm

"Petey, ifn you want ta keep obsessin about huggin, maybe you're on the wrong forum? And enuff about my cookin. Once these feathers burn off, it won't smell so bad."

"Hey there, TT. Sure, mate, I'll trade some tabacky for grub." Tramp pulls out a strange looking corncob with the stem made from a long reed stuck about center in the rough untreated cob. "Made this baby myself." Eyes Petey with a nasty look. "Weren't nothin in his old wallet anyways. I put er back."

San Diegan

Postby San Diegan » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:20 am

Petey, good to see you man. But sheesh, you got an powerful aroma about you. Say, you didn't ride across the plains as a chicken drover, did you?

The fundamelvinists got to Willy, alright. They're going on over there about elephants, dung, ice wine, smoke units, and some place in Tennesee. And they call us crazy.

Willy's got a level head and is fair minded. He'll shake it off.

San

Tramp

Postby Tramp » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:00 pm

"San, maybe we should throw a gatherin for Willy. I got to worry 'bout him. No tellin what them Melvatrons'll do to him. 'Member when he got me in that jail. I come out all OGGered. Took a lot (A LOT) of Gold [TM] to bring me back."

katy140

Postby katy140 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:22 pm

Hiede yawl, Mite nice camp ya got here. Feller up in Texarkanee told me bout it. I *** in late last nite from Texarkanee and culdnt find it. Spent de nite on de ground over this side the yard.

Early this morn went over to that ther missun and the old gal wurkin there new rite way that I wuz a bo. Told me if I needed I culd get me a loof o day old bred from the box and den she tol me to look in de next box and there it was, a box o grits,mind you.

So after dat I made me way over here to see wat dis was all bout. Real nice spot.

Well anyun need a peez o bred, she says day old but bet it more like weak uld but gosh de price is gud.

Un anyun got a pot er pan un we make up a batch o grits.

Got to keech me ride tunite to Ft Worth and then goin on to Del Rio. Luks like a gud ride tonite an ol MOPac box over in de yard.

Got to luk up a perty senorita in a Tex Mex beanery in Del Rio..last time she give me a free cup o joe but also tuld me where to go to git a free shower???

Okedok..luks lik em grits is ready. Lets eat em.

San Diegan

Postby San Diegan » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:50 pm

Pretty nice of you to share, katy140. It's the spirit of the old camp coming back.
a perty senorita in a Tex Mex beanery in Del Rio

Don't know why you are here and not there with possibilities like that!

Now Trampy, we are just going to have to lay low on Willy and let him figure it all out. They have that red haired widow woman bringing him their magazine on a regular basis and showing him glitzy pictures. There's no talking to him until she dumps him. Again.

San

Tramp

Postby Tramp » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:10 pm

"Right you are, San. I just heard they got Willy locked up, or locked out. He'll probably show once things er calmed down again--ifn you get my meanin."

"Hey, Katy. You sure you don't wanna trade in that camera on some good licker. I know an honest pawn." Katy pulls out a few photos and shows them to Tramp. "Ah, heck. With photers like these, you better keep the darn thing." He goes off mumbling to himself.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:53 pm

KT, appreciate the grits, bud. I'm so hungry, they go down like cheesecake and strawberries. Could you pour me a little of that coffee? Ain't that cup a beaut? Swiped her from a caboose on the Pennsy.

BTW, that there line you just said,
"a perty senorita in a Tex Mex beanery in Del Rio"
sounds like the start of a poem. You ought to think on 'er, someday.

Anybody seen Stiff? Or Willie? Miss them boys.

I'm gonna go back up the tracks and take a dip in that 'tank' I passed, in case JB shows up. I'm beginnin' to think it IS me making that shtink.

The Rock

Postby The Rock » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:13 pm

Luks like some of them ol boys are still making their way to the new campsite. Them yardhands are gettin a mite unfriendly lately. Nervus like mexican jumpin beans. katy cookin them fiddles will get em here. The ol Rock jus might break out the Ripple when they all show up.
Doug

After all, they're just toys!

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”