Hobo Jungle

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Hobo Jungle

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:56 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:It’s all fading away, isn’t it.

It's better to burn out
Than to fade away
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:45 pm

No it's changing.....some for the better, some for the worse.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:36 am

What’s the difference?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:25 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:What’s the difference?

Between what and what?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:57 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Between what and what?

“It’s all fading away...”
and
“No, it’s changing...”

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:15 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Between what and what?

“It’s all fading away...”
and
“No, it’s changing...”

If it's all fading away then there's nothing left. If it's changing then there's something new or different where the old used to be...which is pretty normal. The only thing that's constant is change.

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:13 pm

Yes, as we remember it Murph. We fortunately experience a great time to be young.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:18 pm

up148 wrote:

Yes, as we remember it Murph. We fortunately experience a great time to be young.

You do know that every generation thinks that their own youth's time was the best and all that followed flawed............until they look back at the harsh realities of the times.

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:12 pm

Yeah, I've heard that all before and I'm not talking about adult years. And, actually, a lot of our parents and grandparents did not think growing up and being a kid prior to the 50's was all that grand......life was much harder for everyone prior to the 50's. Life in the 50's (after the wars) had a feeling of hope, dreams and pretty much anything could be accomplished.

No childhood is perfect, but when I think of my experiences in the neighborhood, town and beyond (small town Missouri boy) I can't imagine a more idyllic time to grow up. Those truly were wonder years for me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:36 pm

up148 wrote:Yeah, I've heard that all before and I'm not talking about adult years. And, actually, a lot of our parents and grandparents did not think growing up and being a kid prior to the 50's was all that grand......life was much harder for everyone prior to the 50's. Life in the 50's (after the wars) had a feeling of hope, dreams and pretty much anything could be accomplished.

It did? I must have lived through a different space time. Threat of nuclear war, communists hiding under every bed, and the red horde in Asia.....

No childhood is perfect, but when I think of my experiences in the neighborhood, town and beyond (small town Missouri boy) I can't imagine a more idyllic time to grow up. Those truly were wonder years for me.

Maybe with enough isolation and shielded from the rest of the world things were okay. My time with my grandparents was special. The rest of my childhood, not so much......

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:43 pm

Loved your replies, here, guys.
Beautiful friends, neighbors, and relatives during a childhood in a Pittsburgh suburban neighborhood made those days and years idyllic and totally cherished, even as they were happening, I was aware. The same held true for college years in the Midwest, and professional decades in the Northeast. Keeping myself to a certain standard of conduct and respect toward others saturated the entire time with joy and accomplishment. Re-discovering the whole world of model/toy trains, later in my decades, through a happenstance involving my wife, granted me another cherished time in my life. Train parties in our home, several times per year during the 80's and 90's, plus my very successful booth at the York Meets, and maintaining and regularly reinterpreting the layout at FAO Schwarz, 5th Avenue, NYC, granted me even more fun.

Now, my wife has been dead since Jan14, 2019, and the epidemic has affected our hobby detrimentally, in my viewpoint, so the train-shows have stopped for me (the heart fell out of that for me), a favorite nearby hobby shop has closed, and the train parties in our home will never be resumed.

So, its been a fading away for me, and something of a closure, too. Thus, I agree with what you folks have said here,
Murph

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:21 pm

I don't know, Murph. I've found that I've never been busier or more productive in my hobby than in the past 3 years, pandemic or hobby shops closing or no trains shows.... But the train shows are back! Had the best sales day ever last Sat in Strasburg, so all the whining about the economy seems to be a lot of whining. I think a lot of folks just don't know how good they have it and just like to P&M all over everyone else.

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:08 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Now, my wife has been dead since Jan14, 2019, and the epidemic has affected our hobby detrimentally, in my viewpoint, so the train-shows have stopped for me (the heart fell out of that for me), a favorite nearby hobby shop has closed, and the train parties in our home will never be resumed.

So, its been a fading away for me, and something of a closure, too. Thus, I agree with what you folks have said here,
Murph

Maybe you should do some things to celebrate her memory. It might prove therapeutic. It might even make you smile. It's ALL up to you, and it will be whatever YOU make it.

PS: No playin' with bears!

webenda

Postby webenda » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:31 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:So, its been a fading away for me, and something of a closure, too. Thus, I agree with what you folks have said here,
Murph

I don't see it that way Murph. Remember your cousin's advise, "One step at a time, Frank. Take it one step at a time."?

You have taken myriads of steps since then, Murph. I appreciate that you are taking steps to associate more with your MTJ friends. I missed you.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:59 am

Old age is difficult, just like every other stage of life. :) But in old age, many of us find that the losses outweigh the benefits in many ways. Murph's loss of his wife cannot be easily outweighed by the pleasures of another beautiful sunrise, no matter how enjoyable. If you have faith, perhaps that can sustain you.

I find my optimism a bit compromised by the experience of aging, slow decreases in physical capabilities, and the grim tenor of the times, with fascism, racism and xenophobia, religious fanaticism all in ascendance. I still find meaning in work, our adult children and their partners, our siblings and their families, but there is an underlying feeling of sadness as our lives come to a close. Find some joy in each day if you can. Preserve your memories, they are all that's left you, to quote Paul Simon.
Neil

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”