NYC at 'breaking point'

Play nice and have fun...
HONDO74

NYC at 'breaking point'

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:17 am

Adams says NYC at 'breaking point' as asylum seekers continue to arrive in record numbers

New York City Mayor Eric Adams said Friday that the Big Apple is at its "breaking point" as record numbers of migrants continue to arrive.

The leader submitted an emergency mutual aid request to New York State for immediate help this weekend to shelter the asylum seekers.

"We are at our breaking point. Based off our projections, we anticipate being unable to continue sheltering arriving asylum seekers on our own and have submitted an emergency mutual aid request to the State of New York beginning this weekend," he said in a statement. "This type of request, reserved only for dire emergencies, asks the state for support to shelter arriving asylum seekers as the city faces an immediate need for additional capacity. Our initial request is for shelter to accommodate 500 asylum seekers, but, as New York City continues to see numbers balloon, this estimate will increase as well."

The city reportedly received more than 3,100 asylum seekers in the past week, with 835 arriving last Thursday alone.

Since the spring of 2022, he noted that the city had taken in around 40,000 asylum seekers, opening 74 emergency shelters and four humanitarian relief centers.

According to Politico, Adams said the cost to handle the asylum seekers is approaching $2 billion, and called the lack of a federal response to the crisis "inhumane" and "irresponsible."

HONDO74

Re: NYC at 'breaking point'

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:29 pm

New York Mayor says "no room" in his city for migrants
https://news.yahoo.com/york-mayor-says- ... 41825.html

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The mayor of New York traveled to the Mexican border city of El Paso on Sunday and declared that "there is no room in New York" for busloads of migrants being sent to America's most populous city.

Eric Adams, a Democrat, was also critical of the administration of Democratic U.S. President Joe Biden, saying "now is the time for the national government to do its job" about the immigrant crisis at America's southern border.

The visit of a New York mayor to a southern border city about the issue of immigrants is unprecedented.

Busloads of migrants have been shipped north to New York and other cities by Republican run states. That has exacerbated a housing crisis in New York and a worsening homeless crisis in the city.

Adams's trip to El Paso comes after he said the migrant influx into New York could cost the city as much as $2 billion, at a time when the city is already facing a major budget shortfall.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:38 am

Send some over to Soros. :mrgreen:

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:22 am

About time some of these liberal cities suffered the consequences of their idiotic migrant beliefs. It's okay when it's border or mid-west town, but they don't want it in their back yards. We need to send busloads to DC. This policy has to change before it's too late and maybe we're already there. If you want to save the world, that's fine, but you can't do it by allowing everyone to come here illegally.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:02 pm

New York City to use Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to house asylum seekers: 'Our city is at its breaking point'
New York City Mayor Eric Adams said recently there is ‘no more room in New York’

New York City Mayor Eric Adams says a shelter will soon open at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to "temporarily serve the continued influx of asylum seekers arriving in New York City," which he is warning has reached "its breaking point."

The announcement comes less than a week after Adams said during a visit to the U.S.-Mexico border that there is "no more room in New York" for asylum seekers being sent to the Big Apple.

"With more than 41,000 asylum seekers arriving in New York City since last spring and nearly 28,000 asylum seekers currently in our care, our city is at its breaking point," Adams said in a statement Saturday. "We continue to surpass both our moral and legal obligations and meet the needs of people arriving in New York, but as the number of asylum seekers continues to grow, we are in serious need of support from both our state and federal governments."

Adams said the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal Humanitarian Emergency Response and Relief Center – the fifth of its kind the city will operate – will provide adult men "with a place to stay, access support, and get to their final destination."

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:56 am

Media
Published January 27, 2023 10:56am EST

Andrew Cuomo called out his own party this week as responsible for the homeless crisis seen in blue states and cities across the country.

On his podcast, the former governor of New York who resigned in 2021 after accusations of sexual misconduct, described the "human and political crisis" homeless encampments and crimes put on Democrat-run cities.

"NYC is very very bad, Los Angeles I think its even worse...Frankly many of them are under Democratic leadership so it's a human crisis, and it's also a political crisis for the Democratic Party," Cuomo said on "As a Matter of Fact…With Andrew Cuomo."

"[B]ecause you're responsible for running these cities," he said, noting the federal government was also run by a Democrat. "So there's no one to blame but the Democrat elected who are there," he noted.

Cuomo said the Biden administration needed to help with housing being unaffordable in major cities. He also called the crisis a mental health and substance abuse problem, but a largely mental health issue.

"The greatest problem is with the mental health issue," he claimed.

"This is legitimately a difficult issue…governmentally at what point do you step in to provide that assistance?" he asked.

Although politicians want to stay away from this issue because it's "contentious," and "politically loaded," Cuomo said, they need to "address it head on."

Describing how there was a variety of opinions on the hot topic, he said politicians needed to buck the desire to avoid "offending" anyone.

"If that's the way you live, then you're never going to handle any of these tough problems," he said.

Cuomo said there needed to be clear and enforced laws surrounding the homeless, and a "significant commitment" to a mental health system.

The Democrat also derided far-left solutions to the problem.

"Many extreme-left Democrats say the homeless have a right to sleep on the street,…trains or park benches, you'll hear it in San Francisco,…New York…you'll hear it all across the country," he stated.

"Yes they may have a legal right but that doesn't make it right," he slammed. "But I think government should do more, that's a fellow human being," he added. "We're better than that."

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:20 pm

Eric Adams warns fentanyl will 'destroy generations' if New York continues 'sleeping on' crisis
Mayor urges New Yorkers to take opioid crisis seriously in State of the City address

New York City Mayor Eric Adams urged New Yorkers to stop "sleeping on" the opioid crisis during his State of the City speech Thursday, warning that fentanyl abuse will "destroy generations" if left unaddressed.

Adams' address touched on virtually every aspect of life in NYC, but he made a particularly impassioned plea regarding fentanyl abuse.

"Do you remember what crack cocaine did to our city and country?" Adams said. "That's what fentanyl is about to do right now. If we don't stop the fentanyl and opioid abuse, it is going to destroy generations to come."

"This is a major crisis that we are sleeping on," he continued. "Fentanyl is destroying our cities across America. We have to fight back and stop it."

The opioid crisis caused more than 100,000 deaths across the U.S. in 2021, and fentanyl abuse shows no signs of slowing.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:10 pm

I would think you could police a city out of drug use.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:18 pm

robert. wrote:I would think you could police a city out of drug use.

That hasn't been true ever.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:26 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Philadelphia allows it in open air. Police and medics watch it happen. People shootng up allover Kennsington. Police are there only to help with deaf bodies. They claim “ not to know where the drug houses are” thaťs BS. Any house with boarded up windows , 2 300lbs guys outside and people comming and going 24/7 is a drug house

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:29 pm

I think we could do much better with this situation.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:16 pm

robert. wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Philadelphia allows it in open air. Police and medics watch it happen. People shootng up allover Kennsington. Police are there only to help with deaf bodies. They claim “ not to know where the drug houses are” thaťs BS. Any house with boarded up windows , 2 300lbs guys outside and people comming and going 24/7 is a drug house

That's been true for over 50 years which is why I stated that you can't police a city out of drug use. Simply does not work.

I think we could do much better with this situation.

I have yet to read or see a viable solution applied - it's not a simple problem and trying simple solutions fails.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:12 pm

Understand that it is a great benefit for me to hash it out here. Much better than a room full of people thinking about voting for me. I have used a few ideas from here in the past. I do believe drug abuse stems from bad parenting. Nobody claims they want to be a junkie. My feeling are most are hiding from a bad childhood. I do feel that 80 percent cant beat addiction. Maybe some can learn to function on a daily basis.
If we can stop the flow of opioids maybe we can bring down the number of new addicts. This one reason to have secure borders. We need to do better than a dog chasing his tail Education on the use of opioids is a joke at best. Hell I'm not even positive that a good education on the subject would stop most. I lot of kids have rough lives. Perceived or true. They appear to be at higher risk. I would say " The medical field has changed its tune on giving out opioids. There may be a few doctors that run wild with their scripts. n the end they get caught ( i have a customer doing hard time for this exact reason) D-town hospital did an audit on all staff doctors. He wrote to many prescriptions per patient visit. I'm all ears to anybody's idea.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:33 pm

Animal tranquilizer found in 90%+ of Philly drug supply, 'Tranq' is eating users' skin leading to amputations
Xylazine is authorized only for veterinary use, but it is widely available on the streets
https://www.foxnews.com/us/animal-tranq ... mputations

PHILADELPHIA – Philadelphia’s Kensington neighborhood is known as an open air drug market.

"It is the biggest open air drug market on the East Coast. You literally can just walk up on a block and cop whatever substance you like," said James Sherman a former user who is now focused on street outreach with the nonprofit Savage Sisters Recovery.

Now, the area in North Philadelphia is at the center of the Tranq epidemic, hit hard by the emerging misuse of the animal tranquilizer Xylazine. The drug is leaving hundreds of users in Philadelphia with gruesome wounds that could lead to amputations.

Xylazine is a non-opiate sedative, analgesic and muscle relaxant only authorized in the United States for veterinary use according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. But, the drug is widely available on the streets.

"It used to be that you could go to this block for Tranq and this block for Fentanyl. That is just not the case anymore. It's like completely taken over the supply," said Sherman.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:15 pm

Hard to imagine these single adult men getting into this country illegally begging for help and then protesting the help they are getting apparently because it's not good enough for them. I have an idea, send their A$$ES back to where they came from. :wink:

Dozens of Migrants Refuse to Move from Manhattan Hotel to Brooklyn Mega-Shelter
https://news.yahoo.com/dozens-migrants- ... 38869.html

More than 50 migrants camped outside the Watson Hotel in Manhattan in protest on Sunday night as the city sought to move the single male migrants to a new shelter at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to make space for ( migrant families.)

The new shelter holds as many as 1,000 single adult men and provides the same services the migrants had been receiving, city officials told the New York Post. The shelter is the fifth Humanitarian Emergency Response and Relief Center to open in the city since last year.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”