Electric cars

Play nice and have fun...
ScaleCraft

Re: Electric cars

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:57 pm

...............................................................................................................................
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:08 pm

For those that continually seem worried about effective distance, the new Volvo claims a 500 mile range.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:15 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:For those that continually seem worried about effective distance, the new Volvo claims a 500 mile range.

Likely 200 or less on the highway with the a/c running.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:36 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:For those that continually seem worried about effective distance, the new Volvo claims a 500 mile range.

I was more concerned about not be able to charge the batteries overnight in the garage because the batteries can over heat and cause a fire. That was the recommendation from the manufacture.....

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:16 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. That’s going to help solidify my choice of the combustion engine :lol:

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:19 pm

Remember when airlines did not allow Samsung phones on planes? Their litho battery could cause a fire. Kids toys still burn houses down. A guy in the antique motorcycle club of America had his barn burn down. That fire wad started by a battery tender. You need to be careful of all electronics in your house. My wife wońt let the dryer run while we are out.
The guys that invent automobiles rode horsrs while the sorted out car troubles. Electric cars will get bettet by the day
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:03 am

robert. wrote:Remember when airlines did not allow Samsung phones on planes? Their litho battery could cause a fire. Kids toys still burn houses down. A guy in the antique motorcycle club of America had his barn burn down. That fire wad started by a battery tender. You need to be careful of all electronics in your house. My wife wońt let the dryer run while we are out.
The guys that invent automobiles rode horsrs while the sorted out car troubles. Electric cars will get bettet by the day

It;s not just cars that have a problem with Litho Batteries.

2 hospitalized after wheelchair battery catches fire
https://www.ky3.com/2022/11/23/2-hospit ... ches-fire/

Firefighters say an electronic wheelchair’s lithium-ion battery was charging when it caught fire.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:52 am

Similar problem in NYC and other large cities with electric bicycles:

https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/11/21/23468257/ebikes-fires-lithium-ion-batteries-delivery-workers

A couple of reports I've read attribute these e-bike fires to replacement batteries purchased by riders that are either second-hand or of an incorrect type (an effort by owners to sidestep the high cost of OEM replacements).

I seem to remember a similar issue with kids' hover-boards years ago, to a point where they were prohibited from being packed in luggage for air-travel.

It would be depressing to find your garage burned to the ground by your kid's self-immolating electric scooter.

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:36 am

Sold some car seats to a fellow in PA yesterday and his son is higher up in PPL (Pennsylvania Power & Light). He told his dad that if even 1/3 of the cars registered in PA today were converted to EV they would have to ration electricity or go without for one day a week. He said unless something changes, electricity will be rationed in the future.

I know burning fossil fuels has to stop, but the power grid in this country, that has needed to be updated for decades, can not support the demand.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:41 am

up148 wrote:........ the power grid in this country, that has needed to be updated for decades......

This as well as other bits have continually been kicked down the road. Things are going to collapse from within eventually....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:50 pm

So do we wait for the public utilities to fund and execute the required expansion, or do we look for intervention/incentivization (i.e. subsidies) by the government? Some utilities in the Northeast have already stated they have little capability to sharply increase power production.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:59 pm

healey36 wrote:So do we wait for the public utilities to fund and execute the required expansion, or do we look for intervention/incentivization (i.e. subsidies) by the government?

I doubt there is a single answer or solution. It's going to take more "alternate" sources to be integrated vs. the now routine actions of resistance and protectionism. Lots of business opportunities reside in solar that could make lots of jobs in the US that would go along ways. I'm sure that a truckload of monkey wrenches will find their way into the mix.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:18 pm

Come up with a Dyson sphere. Or we’re headed towards a Malthusian ending.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:56 pm

That cinches it, I'm keeping my Pinto! The plug keeps getting pulled out of the outlet in the garage when I try and take my electric car out onto the street. They rush to get this junk onto the market and we end up with crap. Add to that how much do they REALLY know about climate change, considering the number of recorded ice ages. Be kinda perverse to be sitting there in your new electric Voltmobile freezing your nuts off. We'll all hafta move in with Turner out in sunny San Diego!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:01 pm

robert. wrote:.....we’re headed towards a Malthusian ending.

Only if that is what we choose to do....and if Malthus was actually correct.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”