Browsers

Play nice and have fun...
ScaleCraft

Browsers

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:32 pm

I gave up on IE decades ago, refuse to use any of the later versions. Been FireFox for that long.
I also use XP, a 64-bbit Pro version. FireFox said "threadest thou" several years ago, newest we can get is 52ESR, and they're in high 90's now. My backup browser has been MyPal, a fork of PaleMoon, originally they were a fork of Firefox. I had tried PaleMoon, those folks are even more arrogant and clueless that FireFox.
5 days ago,( after a HUGE fallout with PaleMoon last year) MYPal has announce MyPal68, based on FireFox "Rust" (basically FF Quantum).
FF68-74 or so.
Apparently it is designed for first XP, works on everything else (I use it on a POS 10 laptop).
Now I gotta load it and see. Fun stuff!
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

robert.

Re: Browsers

Postby robert. » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:15 pm

You're speaking Greek, to me.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:23 pm

Ditto...

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:39 pm

Get an iPad :lol:

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:06 am

Get a Chromebook, your computer troubles are over.
I got fiber optic internet 2 weeks ago. The installer had to attach to it on a pole 2 houses down and bring the cable to a pole near my house and then to my house. there are 2 electrical things he fastened to my wall and two electrical plug ins are needed. Heavily promoted right now as it is new here and all this was free. No internet trouble since I got it. Only a little more than my old internet.Things that were slow to load before now come on fast. and its super fast all the time.
My old modem had a blue light,I had it where I could see it all the time, Blue light on you have internet, no blue light no internet. I had to unplug wait and plug back in maybe daily, maybe I could go 3 or 5 days no trouble. If that didn't work You had to call Frontier and they would do something and then it would come on.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:15 pm

v8vega wrote:Get a Chromebook, your computer troubles are over.

Maybe.....but you could just use Chrome on a PC; I do that as a set aside for my one business.

I got fiber optic internet 2 weeks ago. The installer had to attach to it on a pole 2 houses down and bring the cable to a pole near my house and then to my house. there are 2 electrical things he fastened to my wall and two electrical plug ins are needed. Heavily promoted right now as it is new here and all this was free. No internet trouble since I got it. Only a little more than my old internet.Things that were slow to load before now come on fast. and its super fast all the time.
My old modem had a blue light,I had it where I could see it all the time, Blue light on you have internet, no blue light no internet. I had to unplug wait and plug back in maybe daily, maybe I could go 3 or 5 days no trouble. If that didn't work You had to call Frontier and they would do something and then it would come on.

None of which has anything to do with browsers; btw, there's usually a little set of lights on the fiber optic box inside the house; all green and you're ok; red and something's off. Lots of fun when the back up battery in it goes on the fritz.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:23 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Lots of fun when the back up battery in it goes on the fritz.

Must be PS-1.

God's going to nail me for that :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:54 pm

healey36 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Lots of fun when the back up battery in it goes on the fritz.

Must be PS-1.

God's going to nail me for that :lol:

Why doesn't Jesus play ice hockey? Keeps getting nailed into the boards. Now you'll have company, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:54 pm

Jesus cant play rugby 'cause head gear is illegal .

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:21 pm

I’d appreciate recommendations for a really good laptop. I’m considering getting a new one .

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:05 pm

Get an iPad with WiFi and cellular. Your life will be so much easier. If typing is an issue get a Bluetooth keyboard.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:33 pm

Laptops no longer cone with good software. Everything is extra now. If you’re not traveling with it screen size may determine what you buy.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:16 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I’d appreciate recommendations for a really good laptop. I’m considering getting a new one .

I'd also suggest the iPad dependent upon what software you actually need and use. Hard to make any recommendations of real substance w/o knowing what you are really going to use it for - primary use - and then the software that you "must have". Amounts of memory, disk size and type, and processor speeds.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:52 pm

My current laptop is a OLD Sony VAIO, with XP-32 bit, office 2007 (does .docx).
Works good.
Uses MyPal.
Ain't buying new.

If I need to replace it with another used one, I have XP discs with license keys.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:29 am

I take my old Toshiba Chromebook II when I go to my brothers each Christmas as it"s 13" So I got it out and am using it to be check it out. It is 7 or 8 years old and still works perfectly, never have had any trouble with it.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”