The things you find in your back yard

Play nice and have fun...
HONDO74

Re: The things you find in your back yard

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:24 pm

gregj410 wrote:
Thank you! It was pretty uneventful for the most part. I went out in the night in my underwear. I wanted the least amount of co efficient of drag in the event I had to sprint to the pool :lol: All lights off, garage service door open in case I couldn’t make it to the pool

That would have been one heck of a YouTube video..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:20 am

I have a hard time finding effective hornet spray. I removed two last year, with brake clean. Those hornets laughed at Raid. This year i did one with a can of Great Stuff ( spray foam) . Closed up the hole, and cut the limb off. right into a metal can of burning wood. I would like to leave them alone but these were low to the ground. Right by the entrance to our dinosaur park.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:30 am

You could always try this :lol:

https://youtu.be/5b8IVaPzo1o

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:23 am

Greg, LOL

Dan Weinhold

chuck

Postby chuck » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:57 pm

As bad as the guy with the grocery sack is, this takes the cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByuUSZQQniQ

He did everything WRONG. Middle of the day, shorts and a T shirt, climbing a fence (no exit strategy), using "music" which riled them up. Fireworks? Then a garden hose on a medium setting. Grand finale, trying to play piñata with a stick. What a maroon.

Hurt me, hurt me, hurt me!
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:50 pm

chuck wrote:As bad as the guy with the grocery sack is, this takes the cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByuUSZQQniQ

He did everything WRONG. Middle of the day, shorts and a T shirt, climbing a fence (no exit strategy), using "music" which riled them up. Fireworks? Then a garden hose on a medium setting. Grand finale, trying to play piñata with a stick. What a maroon.

Hurt me, hurt me, hurt me!

Darwin award candidate.And somebody (wife?) was a helper.
I'm allergic and it hurt watching that.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:28 pm

Son found a yellowjacket nest yesterday while clearing brush; he got lucky and saw them boiling out from the ground around a rotted stump. No hesitation and and ran like hell. Damned aggressive buggers they are and that ended work at the end of the yard.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

chuck

Postby chuck » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:27 pm

Paper wasps seem to lumber around like WW2 heavy bomber. Hornets fly around like WW2 medium bomber, much faster but not a lot of stamina. Yellow Jackets zip around like P-51 Mustang/Spitfires. I've had them chase me a good 20-30 feet before they seem to forget what they were doing and head back to the hive. They also sting multiple times.

I only tried to clear the nest with jet spray AFTER the sun was setting and things were starting to cool down. They also have multiple exits/entries so TWO cans of spray, one in each hand, one for each hole. BTW, they really, really, really hate the lawnmower. I first became aware of the hive when they swarmed the mower and tried to attack it BEFORE turning their attention to me.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:20 pm

chuck wrote: Yellow Jackets zip around like P-51 Mustang/Spitfires. I've had them chase me a good 20-30 feet before they seem to forget what they were doing and head back to the hive. They also sting multiple times.

Nasty SOB's they are.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:28 pm

My recommendation:
I hope you can find this spray. It is flawless, starting to dissolve insects/spiders/centipedes , etc. as soon as they are hit with a stream. I have actually seen legs begin to fall off centipedes I have chased-down.

Five years ago, a bunch of wasps (I think that's what they were) kept bugging :P us as we would use our wooden deck at the rear of the house. I followed a couple as they flew under the deck and discovered a bunch of them headed for a grey wad of a nest (size of an apple) looking like masticated paper with individual entrances facing outward from the rear edge underside of the deck. I sprayed several while they were in-flight and sprayed the nest head-on, waiting for escaping residents to come at me. Got them, too.

I have not seen a single one of them since I hunted them down with:
TAT, "Power Jet Stream with Residual Action,"
made by: Chemisco, Division of United Industries Corporation (1-800-332-5553)

Flawless. Nothing escapes . Drops them immediately while in flight. They can crawl but a few steps until the TAT, literally, stops them in their tracks. They seem to crumble away, at least partly, as they begin to lose legs.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:13 am

Wasps are not a issue compared to yellowjackets. Even hornets, white-faced, etc., are less aggressive. Yellowjacket nests in the grown are hard to spot and that's usually after it's too late. We've both had our run-in's with these too many times to not react immediately upon noting the 2-3 disturbed sentinel bees buzzing about our ankles. I remember when my grandmother ran over a nest with the mower and they chased her inside.

Instead of spraying them, I'd rather toss a gallon on gas on the nest area and light it off. Can't do that this time since the nest is right next to a pair of the big pines at the edge of the woods. I did manage to knock over the rotten stump and remove that part of their shelter. Maybe that will encourage to look for a better home. I'll find out in a few weeks.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:22 pm

Walking up the side walk today I witnessed this. Strong little sucker and I imagine his sting would be quite painful

https://youtube.com/shorts/kEdvsV-winY?feature=share

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:46 pm

I learned all I need to know from Steve Irwin on how to handle dangerous snapping turtles. :lol: Oddly enough, I found this little guy walking around my shop floor

holes emoticons

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:05 pm

Won't make much soup....

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:31 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Won't make much soup....

Turtle on the half shell.
It looks to be a little dry. Poor guy probably needs some water. If you put it into a bowl. Make sure there is a dry place for it to rest. Their shell can go mushy real quick. Snappers need to be fully under water to swallow.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”