THE OPIOIDS CRISIS

Play nice and have fun...
HONDO74

THE OPIOIDS CRISIS

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:45 am

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Last edited by HONDO74 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: THE OPIOIDS CRISIS

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:57 am

The firm did not admit liability or wrongdoing in settling with the state, although it must ( stop selling painkillers nationwide.)

That was part of the agreement; family also has to totally divest of the company and never be back in the business.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:47 am

Is the drug banned?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:58 am

robert. wrote:Is the drug banned?

It doesn't matter it's a people problem. those that have no control over their desire to get high. No personal responsibility. They blame their problems on others.

They can get all the drugs they want from the street.... :wink:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:35 am

No.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:38 am

HONDO74 wrote:

It doesn't matter it's a people problem. those that have no control over their desire to get high. No personal responsibility.

That's the simple easy answer that overlooks all those people that get their addiction triggered during legitimate use and then find out that they are unable to overcome it. Personal responsibility doesn't really enter into it for a lot of these people.

They blame their problems on others.

There's another epidemic that's been going on for a while.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:48 am

Last edited by HONDO74 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:53 am

HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote: Personal responsibility doesn't really enter into it for a lot of these people.

Do you drink dark ale or wine to get high ? Or do you control how much you drink so you don't get high..

Some people don't control how much alcohol they drink and get Fkuped or they kill someone else. Who is to blame for that ??

I'm not addicted -- having an addiction goes well beyond exercising simple self-control. There's a huge difference between the two situations, once your brain chemistry is triggered. Attempting to equate the two demonstrates the lack of understanding resulting in why we fail to address addiction with any effectiveness.

chuck

Postby chuck » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:12 pm

The drug, a semi-synthetic opioid was intended to replace morphine in chronic use cases (e.g. cancer treatment) as it was perceived to have fewer side effects. The drug plugs right into receptors in the brain. It doesn't address the root causes of the pain. The patient just stops caring about it. In some cases they just stop caring about anything but their next dose.

If someone is prescribed the drug to deal with a serious injury they have to be carefully weaned off of it by smaller and smaller doses. The objective is to balance out the dose to match the pain. As the injury heals the pain level should also drop and the dosage level should drop to match. If they don't the patient runs the risk of addiction as the drug is essentially plugging in directly to the brain and no amount of "will power" can counteract this. It is so efficient that it is much more addictive than street drugs.

The manufacturers knew all of this and played it down to sell the drug. Doctors writing the scripts didn't read the fine print and the actual manufacturers who were supposed to be controlling production to be compliant with the various controlled substances acts turned a blind eye when the demand far exceeded any legitimate use of the drug. Everybody was making too much money. Like someone hooked on the drug, they just didn't care.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:22 pm

Without a lot of details I think that in the past most of the TV advertising involved household products of all sorts and automobiles.
Today in our area it seems that it might be insurance of all types, vehicles and lawyers equaling @ 60% with the rest being drugs of all types.
Several doctors that I know have told me that some patients have told them what is wrong with them and what drugs they need based on TV
commercials.
We have been told that it is very expensive to develop drugs. How much of that cost is from advertising?

IMHO drugs and guns share the fact that if someone wants either they will get it somehow.
TV is part of the cause for both problems.

Just my opinions with out any research/facts to back them.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

chuck

Postby chuck » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:44 pm

Roger, you are spot on. The drug companies refuse to release any meaningful information on real drug costs.

The direct TV advertising should be stopped. It's bad enough for MD's to try and figure out what is an effective treatment without having a wack job patient demanding they get a prescription for the allegedly latest and greatest "new drug" on the market.

If the side effects mention death three or more times as a possible side effect I would have serious doubts about using a product that allegedly clears up psoriasis or toenail fungus. The alleged mental health ones are the best at this kind of sh*t. Your anti-depressant still leaving you depressed? Ask your doctor to supplement it with this stuff. Of course it has been shown to lead to greater anxiety/suicide. Wait a minute. Wasn't this stuff supposed to be fixing this? Arghhhhhh!
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:24 pm

Some are lucky to have addictions that don't kill them.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:39 pm

robert. wrote:Some are lucky to have addictions that don't kill them.

Well, not directly, :? :?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:28 pm

robert. wrote:Some are lucky to have addictions that don't kill them.

What are you thinking of, Robert?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:39 am

Last edited by HONDO74 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”