THE DO's AND THE DO NOT's

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: THE DO's AND THE DO NOT's

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:32 pm

up148 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:
He has a very legitimate medical reason for showing a little attitude and I totally get it. And it keeps us all awake. :D As has been said many times, getting old isn't for pu$$ies.

As do we all. I try to keep mine locked in a box in the basement in a filing cabinet in the darkest corner of the dark......

Lock in box, hide in basement, never explain, never complain. Well, that gives a goal to shoot for.

Guarded by a rabid honey badger.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:46 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
As do we all. I try to keep mine locked in a box in the basement in a filing cabinet in the darkest corner of the dark......

Lock in box, hide in basement, never explain, never complain. Well, that gives a goal to shoot for.

Guarded by a rabid honey badger.

You'll get to keep them forever. The honey badger is the killer

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:28 pm

We had a man killed this week out on a golf course , struck by lightening. Who still goes out on the course, with a metal rod in his hand , no less, during a driving-rain storm like we had here?! How could anybody not know of the danger implicit in being there? I just don't get it .

chuck

Postby chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:15 pm

Not only are you waving a metal rod around over your head in an open area, you are usually weary cleated shoes that really make sure you are in contact with the ground!

Dumb de Dumb, Dumb Dumb! (think Dragnet "fanfare").
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:18 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:We had a man killed this week out on a golf course , struck by lightening. Who still goes out on the course, with a metal rod in his hand , no less, during a driving-rain storm like we had here?! How could anybody not know of the danger implicit in being there? I just don't get it .

This happened in south Jersey i believe. With no warning. At the time of the lightning strike. The man was under a tree that got hit first. People living next door to the golf course say ' It was perfectly sunny out with no storm near by at the time of lightning and thunder"
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

chuck

Postby chuck » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:05 pm

This happened in south Jersey i believe. With no warning. At the time of the lightning strike. The man was under a tree that got hit first. People living next door to the golf course say ' It was perfectly sunny out with no storm near by at the time of lightning and thunder"

With all of the "popcorn" storms popping up out of nowhere this is likely to become more frequent. All you need is a mass of unstable air (warm/humid). If you are watching the weather radar this go from amorphous green blobs to yellow to angry red in real time (like 15 minutes). That cell will rapidly dissipate and a new one forms nearby. It looks like popcorn popping in a pot on the stove. These cells are moving quickly, 25-35 mph ground speed. If the cloud base is two to three miles above the local terrain a lightening strike is possible at a distance of two to three miles away from that base.

We had some of these move through in the last few days. If you are under one of these cells it's pretty intense as it passes through but you need to be careful even if the main action is several miles away. It's really weird to hear thunder booming all around you but the sun is shining and the sky directly above is clear.

I used to keep a browser tab on my computer at work open to the regional weather radar in the summer months to monitor for such storms. Our main building had two wings. The newer research wing was almost completely glass "curtain walls" which had the potential of becoming a giant Cuisinart in the event of a direct hit from a microburst or funnel cloud/tornado. If the sirens went off everyone was to take shelter in the basement of the old wing.

BTW, the ground field prior to a strike is pretty intense. If you can feel the hairs on your arms starting to rise and nearby siding starting to vibrate/sing you need to get away from anything "tall" and try to crouch down (not lie down) to present as small/short a target as possible. If you lie down a near miss could still pass through you.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:45 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:We had a man killed this week out on a golf course , struck by lightening. Who still goes out on the course, with a metal rod in his hand , no less, during a driving-rain storm like we had here?! How could anybody not know of the danger implicit in being there? I just don't get it .

Like my old Daddy used to say: "Don't believe anything you hear and about half of what you you see, and you'll probably do OK." The "facts" you are given, are not always "facts". Why would you trust ANYTHING put out by today's news media? Kinda like some of the stuff put out on this board, maybe. All is not what it seems.

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:21 pm

chuck wrote:Not only are you waving a metal rod around over your head in an open area, you are usually weary cleated shoes that really make sure you are in contact with the ground!

Dumb de Dumb, Dumb Dumb! (think Dragnet "fanfare").

It's been YEARS since metal spikes were the norm. They were banned by many courses ages ago (last century). Obviously, I can't attest to the construction of the guys shoes, but his big mistake was getting under the tree, a no no! The first course of action is to head for shelter.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:15 pm

I'm pretty sure I learned, as a boy, decades ago, not to seek "shelter" under a tree if a storm were imminent or overhead, anticipating lightening's propensity to reach for the taller objects.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:09 pm

The guy that got hammered obviously didn't.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:30 pm

Kinda like some of the stuff put out on this board, maybe. All is not what it seems.

Bingo!

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”