And now for something completely different

Play nice and have fun...
chuck

And now for something completely different

Postby chuck » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 am

The German Miniature Wunderland has been closed to the public for about 6 months. This how they occupied their time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBNHmUT3GPg

Very clever! Normally the HO layout is stunning in and off itself with scale jet planes taking off and landing at their airport. About 6 minutes into the video it cuts to a behind the scenes/making of LGB musical layout. Incredible amount of engineering and work went into making this,
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

webenda

Re: And now for something completely different

Postby webenda » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:00 pm

That was fun, thank you, Chuck.

I once tried to calibrate a pipette using a analytical balance. It was obvious something was wrong as I watched the balance get lighter and lighter after I finished with ten drops. The water was evaporating rapidly.

I was wondering how they managed to create the set-up before evaporating water made all the glasses out of tune. Clever solution they found.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

chuck

Postby chuck » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:10 pm

Incredible group of people that work there. The level of detail that they go into plus all of their lighting and animation effects on the main layout. They were forced to close down to the public so they come up with this plan. As entertaining as the first part of the video is, the second part of the "back story" is really amazing. From building the "layout" inside the visitor space to creating the locomotive with the strikers to the array of microphones to catch the sound. Setting up the spacing to the glasses to deal with the different tempo's and of course just the issue of keeping the glasses in tune.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:01 am

Probably, several of you excellent minds, here , already know this, but it is such news to me I had to share it with you, just in case...

Jupiter has 79 moons :!:

Saturn has 82 moons :!:

Also , I have accepted , for some time, now, what scientists have deduced, that Jupiter is a sun (considering its helium/hydrogen composition , especially, that didn't turn on. (Yet.)

What d' ya' think of that stuff :!: :?:

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:37 am

It’s fascinating what went into pulling that off and not one broken glass! Musical engineering....who knew?! I was wondering how it was filmed and sure enough they were handing off cameras to each other. I thought a drone of some sort would have filmed it considering the amount of engineering required to build operate and maintain the facility. Something did get a little shaky in that tunnel around 4:32 but for humans handing off cameras to each other it’s pretty smooth. I have know idea what this was but it caught my eye?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Probably, several of you excellent minds, here , already know this, but it is such news to me I had to share it with you, just in case...

Jupiter has 79 moons :!:

Saturn has 82 moons :!:

Also , I have accepted , for some time, now, what scientists have deduced, that Jupiter is a sun (considering its helium/hydrogen composition , especially, that didn't turn on. (Yet.)

What d' ya' think of that stuff :!: :?:

I want to see Jupiter turn on as a SUN. :wink:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:18 am

HONDO74 wrote:I want to see Jupiter turn on as a SUN. :wink:

Pull a chair and grab a cold drink, and start waiting.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

chuck

Postby chuck » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:21 am

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:04 am

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:31 pm

Some of the "stars" we see as single points of light are so far away from us that we cannot discern with an unaided eye that they are actually two stars, often a Red Giant traveling with a Blue Dwarf.

If Jupiter were to "ignite," we do not know how far its presence and heat would consume.

Thank you, Chuck and HONDO, for those two movie clips. It was fun to see those episodes again.

chuck

Postby chuck » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:38 pm

If Jupiter were to "ignite," we do not know how far its presence and heat would consume.

It would need to accumulate 12X it's present mass to have enough gravitational pull to initiate fusion. Not too likely. The smallest observed star is about the physical size of Saturn. If the monoliths were adding mass to Jupiter and that caused the shrinkage before ignition it would still have blasted all of it's own satellites out of orbit on ignition and produced enough radiation to kill all life on earth unless the earth was on the far side of the sun. The increased mass would also cause all of the planets orbits to change, significantly. Again more likely to be deleterious to life on our planet.

Makes for an interesting story/motion picture.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:08 am

Yep.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:53 am

chuck wrote:

It would need to accumulate 12X it's present mass to have enough gravitational pull to initiate fusion.

Good to know that someone is not going to just wander out there and light it off just for fun.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:32 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
chuck wrote:

It would need to accumulate 12X it's present mass to have enough gravitational pull to initiate fusion.

Good to know that someone is not going to just wander out there and light it off just for fun.

That’s the plan for the next trip :lol:

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:18 pm

"JUPITER IGNITES". staring Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel. You can't find more ironic named characters star in this movie? The Rock and The fuel.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”