Is it a matter of imagination or...

Play nice and have fun...
E7

Re: Is it a matter of imagination or...

Postby E7 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:21 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Huh?

You could be accused of child molestation whether you did so or not.

edit to fix typo 2/15
Last edited by E7 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:35 pm

Oh boy! This is heading south :lol:
Murphs van

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:48 pm

Nah, not seeing Murph driving a van, :?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:40 pm

E7 wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Huh?

You could me accused of child molestation whether you did so or not.

With that as a reference point:
A few years ago, our Pastor asked me, as a retired Language Arts teacher, to volunteer-tutor a 4th grader, a boy, who was significantly behind in his reading and writing skills . I agreed to do so in the school twice a week, midday , for 1 - 1 1/2 hours per tutoring session, not in a classroom but in a little kiosk created for us at the end of a second floor of classrooms.

He and I made progress for him immediately, and he was well aware of that.

As a result, when I would enter the school precincts, part of the parish site, which by happenstance occurred at their lunchtime / recess time period, he began running up to me and embracing me around the waist with a welcoming , cheerful expression on his face.

The first time he did that, when I saw him coming to me, in front of the several classes and teachers assembled on the playground, I had to decide immediately whether to motion for him to keep back a little bit and, perhaps, simply shake-hands, as we had done on previous occasions when we both served at Mass, or accept his hug.

There was no way whatsoever that I was going to reject his outreach, especially not in front of everybody, and not for him as an individual either, for him as a child. I decided on acceptance. I depended on knowing myself, my reputation , and the purity of his obvious intention.

I was amazed he managed his little arms around me at all , but as far as they could reach was enough. I accepted his acceptance and joyfulness. His face came to approximately sternum-level on my chest, upon which he would rest his head, often when blessing me with the hug.

Every subsequent entrance I made upon that playground for our bi-weekly lessons, he did the same. I'd reply to the hug with a pat on his shoulder , allowing the hug to last for a second or two, max.

I depended on his judgement and mine and decided to not be intimidated by reports in the News relating scurrilous offenses committed by evildoers.

There were times that I'd make my way into the school after he had been returned to his classroom, and when he had been told I was at our station in the hallway kiosk, he would scurry/run down the hallway to me, as I sat there awaiting his arrival . I decide not to allow him to meet me as I was seated , which if he continued to do the hug, would have his arms around my neck, and find us face to face. That, I was not going to allow , so the hugs continued to be at waist-level, which I was sure was more proper.

Sometimes, our tutoring sessions took us right up to the end of the school day, so I would accompany him, along with his entire class, down the halls and out the doors, and directly to his mother who awaited us in her car.

Upon each farewell, he would hug me around the waist in front of her and other members of the school.

To this day , his mother, two older brothers , and he text me or call to see how I am and to give me updates on the boy's progress, as he is in high school , now.

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:40 pm

Mel Gibson had a movie based on this situation. Teacher and a young male student.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:25 pm

I'm unaware of that movie, Robert .

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”