Has President Biden

Play nice and have fun...
robert.

Re: Has President Biden

Postby robert. » Thu May 11, 2023 3:53 pm

Congressman make $175,000 a year plus travel. That would be a five fold increase for me. I would be squeaky clean.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu May 11, 2023 4:01 pm

robert. wrote:Congressman make $175,000 a year plus travel. That would be a five fold increase for me. I would be squeaky clean.

Maybe so, but 1st you have to pay the bills that got you into office; many 1st year congressmen arrive close to broke and quite a few find out that they cannot afford an apartment in DC. A couple last year got turned down applying for an apartment in DC.

Many arrive clean, but depart tarnished.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu May 11, 2023 4:37 pm

Simple get an apartment outside of DC. :roll: :roll: I had a talk with my wife in regards to me running for congress. In the end I declined my invite to run. I’d rather work in Harrisburg for half the money. My wife pointed out “ I was changing my original tune and she didn’t like” she said “ i lost my way” she did a lot of research on the folks wanting to back me. It’s a whole different group of shady people.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu May 11, 2023 5:34 pm

robert. wrote:Simple get an apartment outside of DC. :roll: :roll: I had a talk with my wife in regards to me running for congress. In the end I declined my invite to run. I’d rather work in Harrisburg for half the money. My wife pointed out “ I was changing my original tune and she didn’t like” she said “ i lost my way” she did a lot of research on the folks wanting to back me. It’s a whole different group of shady people.

Robert Your are still in your learning process. You will figure it out one of these days.

Years ago my wife said I should have been a politician. I told her she would not be able to stand me if I was. :wink:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu May 11, 2023 6:52 pm

robert. wrote:Simple get an apartment outside of DC. :roll: :roll:

Yup. All it takes is money.

That's why my son shares a house with 2 other people. The amount of money for a decent place in a good location costs.

But if you're outside DC and you need to get downtown, well, have fun with that....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu May 11, 2023 9:05 pm

Don’t they have lite rail? For a time i would stay in Savage Maryland and work in DC.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri May 12, 2023 7:18 am

robert. wrote:Don’t they have lite rail? For a time i would stay in Savage Maryland and work in DC.

Metro system - closer you are to a station, the higher the rent. Parking there is limited and not free. Whole system is overloaded......and not cheap.

But it does beat driving and parking downtown, and taking the toll roads into DC.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri May 12, 2023 8:32 am

Most of the representatives from my area take amtrak.You get paid travel expenses to and from work. They board it in Trenton and head for DC. Daily. Look how quick the changed the philly curve after Amtrak ran aground. That train had congressmen from Bucks and Hunterdon county on it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri May 12, 2023 9:02 am

robert. wrote:Most of the representatives from my area take amtrak.

Sure. If you have the luxury of being on the NE corridor Amtrak is perfect.........until it isn't.

Still, you need a place to stay for those days when congress is in session.........which are far too few.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Fri May 12, 2023 9:24 am

Woe is me Robert. MTJ the place to come and watch your dreams die :lol:

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri May 12, 2023 2:36 pm

gregj410 wrote:Woe is me Robert. MTJ the place to come and watch your dreams die :lol:

Think of it this way. There is no law saying you must go to DC. An election winner could stay home and get paid.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri May 12, 2023 3:59 pm

robert. wrote:
gregj410 wrote:Woe is me Robert. MTJ the place to come and watch your dreams die :lol:

Think of it this way. There is no law saying you must go to DC. An election winner could stay home and get paid.

And still get their travel expenses. :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri May 12, 2023 4:08 pm

robert. wrote:

Actually, I think you do at least get sworn in to office and to be seated.

Also not showing up for committees and voting tends to provide fodder for a failed re-election.

Then again, it seems that many barely do show up. Too bad that they are not required to put in a full week every week in the office for that salary.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri May 12, 2023 9:33 pm

Committees is where the money is made. I don’t believe anyone has not shown up for a full term. If anything they are guilty of showing up to much. You get your travel and daily expenses. When you show up everyday. Their fodder becomes. He lives in DC. And ghost his constituents. I think it was a PA guy named Santorum that this happened to.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat May 13, 2023 6:52 am

robert. wrote: I don’t believe anyone has not shown up for a full term. If anything they are guilty of showing up to much.

The highest number of days the House spent in session has as far as I know never broken 200 days; usually it's ~150. There are 261 work days. Regular people do work holidays.... Maybe if they'd show up to work as full time employees of the people something might actually get done. Then again, one might argue that their not showing up but rarely and not doing much of anything, we would all be better off.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”