vaccine

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: vaccine

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue May 04, 2021 7:13 am

E7 wrote:Easy to point the finger and criticize. What are the logistics involved in dispensing the vaccine? How much of the problem is A-holes who sign up and don't show? How long does it take to ready vaccines like the Pfizer that need to be stored under extreme conditions? Maybe these people who are doling out all the criticism should put some effort toward solving those problems. How about a fine for scheduling,and then not showing up.

Logistics of distribution, storage, and actual dispensing are not big issues; all of that was in place pretty quickly and easily. Most of that was a lot of hand-waving over nothing at all. -80 freezers and transporting -80 materials, vials to RT and use is something that a huge number of people and facilities already existed. Out in the middle of nowhere, not so much.....

But you've left out what has probably been the biggest issue - the scheduling systems themselves. Every state and many counties have operated totally independently using web sites that take a IT professional to navigate. Then CVS and Walgreen's had to have their own web systems.....that were a mess to use. We spent a week getting appointments set for my MiL in FL (a truly totally F'd up web system) that she could get to realistically. We spent another week working to get appointments set for ourselves but we had to use the newest unencumbered software stripped down computer we had in the house to get through the sites in VA.

Now that the vaccination sites are pretty much walk in.......there's no excuse not to get vaccinated, yet too many are finding one.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:28 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:But you've left out what has probably been the biggest issue - the scheduling systems themselves. Every state and many counties have operated totally independently using web sites that take a IT professional to navigate. Then CVS and Walgreen's had to have their own web systems.....that were a mess to use.

Interesting, because CVS was the ONLY site I was able to schedule with, and it was straight forward and SIMPLE to use. Since I had NO issues using their site, I didn't mention that there was a problem because I didn't experience one. There are NO Walgreens close by, so I didn't attempt to use their site, and can't comment on it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue May 04, 2021 9:43 am

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:But you've left out what has probably been the biggest issue - the scheduling systems themselves. Every state and many counties have operated totally independently using web sites that take a IT professional to navigate. Then CVS and Walgreen's had to have their own web systems.....that were a mess to use.

Interesting, because CVS was the ONLY site I was able to schedule with, and it was straight forward and SIMPLE to use. Since I had NO issues using their site, I didn't mention that there was a problem because I didn't experience one. There are NO Walgreens close by, so I didn't attempt to use their site, and can't comment on it.

Different state; different systems.....we have state & county systems that are completely independent of each other and that were a complete mess.

CVS was the only one that made sense and could be navigated, but it was still so overwhelmed in use numbers that you needed a really fast computer and all of your information front loaded for entry or you got bumped out. And there's the problem - complete inconsistency dependent on location as opposed to a simple unified system.

There was a whole cottage industry of young folks helping seniors out to get appointments. I can't imaging how people on dial up or even DSL managed.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue May 04, 2021 9:54 am

I think your right that every place is different, not just states. I called a local drug store and they gave us appointments. This was in February.
For the second shot the health department called and told us to come to them for the second shot. No problems.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 am

I'n not a wizz with computers but have enough experience to do OK. The CDC were giving shots at my church. I thought I had signed up but when I got there they had no record of it and they had a really complicated process. A complete census again with lots of questions that they didn't need for the shot.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue May 04, 2021 10:02 am

For the first shot they wanted our medical cards and ID. That was all and for the second only ID.
roger

I support thread drift.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue May 04, 2021 11:14 am

rogruth wrote:For the first shot they wanted our medical cards and ID. That was all and for the second only ID.

ID and insurance card for both shots, but the 2nd also had 2 pages of other questions that were really related to safety concerns and exposure to others, etc.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:30 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Different state; different systems.....we have state & county systems that are completely independent of each other and that were a complete mess.

CVS was the only one that made sense and could be navigated, but it was still so overwhelmed in use numbers that you needed a really fast computer and all of your information front loaded for entry or you got bumped out. And there's the problem - complete inconsistency dependent on location as opposed to a simple unified system.

There was a whole cottage industry of young folks helping seniors out to get appointments. I can't imaging how people on dial up or even DSL managed.

Seems like the problem is pervasive. I think we agree that things were mostly ill conceived and done by committee. I decided early on that I wasn't driving hundreds of miles even if it meant I never got the vaccine. Compared to the first site I tried, the CVS site here was straight forward, and I went at it in the middle of the night and seemed to have the thing to myself, and had my pick of times. Can't say for certain, maybe I got lucky!

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Pfizer expects Covid vaccine demand for years
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56979406

Demand for Pfizer's Covid vaccine could bolster its revenues for years, the US drugs giant has said.

Pfizer said it was expecting "durable demand" for the vaccine, in a similar way to flu vaccines.

In the first three months of 2021, the vaccine generated revenues of $3.5bn (£2.5bn) as governments scrambled to try to contain the pandemic.

Revenue from the treatment is expected to hit $26bn this year - accounting for more than one third of Pfizer's sales.

The forecast is based on already-signed contracts for 1.6 billion vaccine doses to be delivered this year.

Pfizer said it expected to sign more deals this year, and was in supply talks with several countries for 2022 and beyond.

Covid vaccines: Will drug companies make bumper profits?

"Based on what we've seen, we believe that a durable demand for our Covid-19 vaccine - similar to that of the flu vaccines - is a likely outcome," said chief executive Albert Bourla.

The two-shot vaccine was Pfizer's top-selling product in the first quarter.

Expenses and profit from the vaccine are split 50-50 between Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech.

Pfizer and fellow US firm Moderna profit from their vaccines, while AstraZeneca and US giant Johnson & Johnson are supplying theirs at cost price while the pandemic continues.

Pfizer recently signed a contract with the UK to supply 60 million additional doses in 2021.

It is testing the use of a third dose of its vaccine as a booster, and expects the US to give the go-ahead for it to be used in children between 12 and 15 years old during the pandemic.

It is also testing the safety and efficacy of the vaccine in children from six months to 11 years old, it said in a prepared statement.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue May 04, 2021 2:09 pm

HONDO74 wrote:Pfizer expects Covid vaccine demand for years

Actually, Pfizer has positioned itself to profit from the use of the mod-mRNA technology to make drugs other than vaccines.

I'm just sitting back watching the patent battle that I predicted a year ago starting to heat up on all this technology.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue May 04, 2021 2:42 pm

We in the USA are shown the horrible living and dying example in India of how bad it can get.

And yet , we still have a hardcore of blockheads who do not want to receive the protection of vaccination , nor to distance themselves from others, and to wear masks.

Is there a limit to intelligence ? Well, there sure seems to be no limit to ignorance, huh.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue May 04, 2021 3:03 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Is there a limit to intelligence ? Well, there sure seems to be no limit to ignorance, huh.

The full area of ignorance is not mapped. We are at present only exploring the fringes.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue May 04, 2021 5:47 pm

Yes, and sadly, much suffering remains to be endured due to it.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue May 04, 2021 8:13 pm

My wife and I had our shots and paid nothing out of pocket for them.
Who is paying for them and how much does a shot cost?
roger

I support thread drift.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue May 04, 2021 8:24 pm

rogruth wrote:My wife and I had our shots and paid nothing out of pocket for them.
Who is paying for them and how much does a shot cost?

Not completely sure but I believe Trump said they would be free to all Americans.....although nothings free so I guess we are all paying for it in one way or another

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”