How is everyone doing?

Play nice and have fun...
healey36

Re: How is everyone doing?

Postby healey36 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Well I can't speak for every jurisdiction in this great country of ours :wink: but locally things are pretty precarious. Maryland no longer produces enough teachers to replace the number that are retiring or abandoning teaching for another career (probably hasn't for at least ten years). They are actively recruiting from other states while simultaneously playing around with certification requirements to get a body in every classroom. I went to a state college where teachers were the primary output. When I graduated, the education department pushed out approximately 800 teachers. The year my daughter graduated from the same school, a teacher, the school pushed out 62. Not too many have the desire to do this anymore, which is shameful.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:34 pm

healey36 wrote:Not too many have the desire to do this anymore, which is shameful.

Not much in the way of reward in that profession; intangibles, yes, but you need enough to put a roof over, family, etc.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:34 pm

Let me clarify...it's not shameful on the folks who don't want to or can't do it for economic reasons. It's shameful that society places such a low value on providing an education K-12. Some of it is societal, some just a redirection of priorities. Don't get me wrong, no one should expect to get rich being a teacher, and most don't do it with that presumption. But there should be a basic expectation for support by the public and administration, adequate resources, and a bit of discipline, sadly much of which seems to have dissipated in the last 30 years.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:54 pm

healey36 wrote:Let me clarify...it's not shameful on the folks who don't want to or can't do it for economic reasons. It's shameful that society places such a low value on providing an education K-12. Some of it is societal, some just a redirection of priorities. Don't get me wrong, no one should expect to get rich being a teacher, and most don't do it with that presumption. But there should be a basic expectation for support by the public and administration, adequate resources, and a bit of discipline, sadly much of which seems to have dissipated in the last 30 years.

Agree. More than 30 years though.....was fading well before that, sadly. My alarms were going off while I was in college undergrad watching seeing the dregs of my class desperate for future employment declaring for a teaching certificate in their senior year.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:37 pm

My take on cyber schooling.
I have mentioned before that my daughter would go to a cyber school this year. So far after a month. We (Wife and I) are on the pleasant side of undecided. Our first few days were filled with bugs. We had expected that. New teachers, new software, and flat out unfamiliar territory. We picked a place called Reach Academy. Every problem we had or thought we had. They were able to help with quickly. They have hired extra staff members and increased their call center's hours. No doubt this year has been a change for them also.
My daughter has 3 half hour live classes 3 days a week and 4 live classes 2 days a week. You can schedule her recorded classes anyway you like. If you miss a live class you can watch it later as a recording. We have her 3 weeks ahead of her classmates ( 1/4 of her class is with us in pace) If we continue at this rate along with the other 25 percent. They will assign these kids to a new class and teacher. similar to an AP class. One big advantage to this type of schooling is. When the kid starts to fade out. You can pause her class and go for a half hour bike ride. Come back and start where she left off. One disadvantage is. Somebody needs to be home with the kid. Right now with one income it is a struggle. It could be worse. We are making it and not on the street. It does make my wife a little frazzled not getting out to meet co workers or people her age. I do Sunday and Monday lessons with the kid. That gives my wife some time. The biggest plus out of all this is. The kid has two parents and teachers helping with her education. Not just teachers.
If i can swing keeping my wife sane and a one income household. We may stay with this method of education.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

chuck

Postby chuck » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:27 pm

I wish you the best of luck wit this project. It is very gratifying to hear about parents putting such effort into personally educating their children. Too often parents treat school more like advanced baby sitting/pet training. Hope you can work some things out to help your wife so she isn't so frazzled.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:55 am

robert. wrote:It does make my wife a little frazzled not getting out to meet co workers or people her age.

I get together with several different groups of model railroaders using Zoom; 1-3 hours with a dozen or more friends and acquaintances across the country. Not out, but with camera and microphones, something that beats nothing

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:59 am

chuck wrote: It is very gratifying to hear about parents putting such effort into personally educating their children. Too often parents treat school more like advanced baby sitting/pet training.

Maybe that's one positive wake up call that's getting made. Personal financial responsibility might be the other. Things are going to take a long time to rebalance.

Today the funds for the airlines run out. That's going to toss a major monkey wrench into a far reaching sector of the economy.....

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:29 am

Teachers in California have one goal and one goal only. Reliable lifetime Democrat party voters.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:45 am

v8vega wrote:Teachers in California have one goal and one goal only. Reliable lifetime Democrat party voters.

Clearly missed out on getting an actual education.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:58 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
v8vega wrote:Teachers in California have one goal and one goal only. Reliable lifetime Democrat party voters.

Unfortunately that can happen if you live in California :wink:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:30 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

That would clearly seem the case for the elderly and infirm of mind.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:31 pm

Got this years flue shot. Actually noticeable tired and a bit sore in that arm......then again, I did split maybe 3 wheelbarrow loads of firewood on Tues.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

They counter balance that with all the idiots that live there :wink:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:04 pm

HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:Unfortunately that can happen if you live in California :wink:

They counter balance that with all the idiots that live there :wink:

I think that's redundant as they are one and the same.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”