Coronavirus:

Play nice and have fun...
robert.

Re: Coronavirus:

Postby robert. » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:24 pm

Mr. Turner did you say awhile back that tou just got over covid?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:51 pm

My spouse and I may have had a mild case in January - in February we got the Pfizer vaccine, and after the first shot I was "down" for the day, in that I really didn't feel like flying. We were never tested. We will get the booster in the next couple weeks.

I personally consider "anti-vaxxers" to be quite selfish - My brother is an anti-vaxxer, and he has grandchildren he is putting at risk, in my opinion, based not on "Facebook facts," but on CDC reports and other relatively reliable sources. My brother thinks the government cannot be trusted - and in some cases our government (even Colin Powell!) has lied to us - but I trust Dr. Fauci a lot more than I trust faceless internet posters who are friendly with known conspiracy theorists. (Yes, he has taken Ivermectin and has received Monoclonal Antibodies - still experimental and a lot more expensive than the vaccines)

It is a free country, and so far you are free to go maskless and vaccine-free, so long as you do not work for an entity subject to controls - like, say, Southwest Airlines or the Chicago Police Department. As far as I am concerned, those folks are free to remain unvaccinated, but not entitled to continued employment. I strongly feel that those who remove their masks on an airliner should be barred from airline travel until Covid is declared over. And maybe fined!

Any guesses as to what a Southwest Captain gives up when he is discharged for non-compliance? Think he can get a job teaching history for a quarter million bucks a year? Those folks who risk discharge and loss of pension are truly of strong principles, but perhaps have their priorities a bit skewed.

No Vaccine? Stay out of my hangar, and keep your six feet outside on the ramp. Please.

Note that I am not calling anybody here "names" or otherwise disparaging opinions divergent from mine. It is, however, difficult for me to understand the mind set of the approximately 1/3 of my fellow citizens who are drifting toward a new paradigm of governance, not only with attitudes toward vaccines and Covid, but with attitudes related to how we select our future representatives. As the Europeans know, it only takes a small percentage of a population to take a well-functioning democracy off the rails.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:52 pm

I've had 2 shots and will get the booster when I'm eligible. I had a devil of a time getting signed up. The apparatus to do so on the Net was an effing joke. The website I initially tried started at sites within 25 miles and as far out as 100. I can tell you if I had to drive 100 miles to get the shot, they could put it where the sun don't shine. That's 600 miles total round trip for 3 shots. I later got on the CVS site, which was easy to navigate and had my pick of appointments and drove about 3 miles. The week after I got my shot it was walk-in!

That was my choice. Note the word choice. I don't think this kind of stuff should be jammed down anyone's throat.

As my late Daddy used to say: "Don't believe anything you hear, and about 1/2 of what you see and you'll probably do OK.

The news media in this country is an absolute F*cking JOKE. Social media is even a bigger joke.

Back when I was a working stiff, I used to make predictions, and was actually pretty good at it. My last one was the next Civil War would be the poor against the rich.

Another thought: Have the people in this country forgotten what happened on 9/11? It should be mandatory viewing for those not born at that time.

One last blast: Paper ballots. It was always my understanding that mail-in ballots were for they who were UNABLE to physically get to the polls. Not for every lazy SOB that didn't want to be bothered, and I know some people like that. If you are physically able to get to the polls and can't be bothered, you DON'T deserve the right to vote.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:36 pm

Well stated, Bob, and sorry to read about your brother.

Folks get vaccinated for measles, polio, smallpox, diphtheria, whopping cough, pneumonia, HPV, shingles, tetanus and more w/o giving it a thought, yet this is a problem for them. And then they will take drugs that have no value at all, and/or take other emergency approved drugs without hesitation. The irrationality of it all is truly bizarre.

Your choice of the word "selfish" is appropriate.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:17 pm

I find it interesting that the vaxed are so concerned with the unvaxed. If your vaxed than what’s your worry or your beef with the unvaxed....you’re protected or are you?

My brother is an anti-vaxxer, and he has grandchildren he is putting at risk, in my opinion, based not on "Facebook facts," but on CDC reports and other relatively reliable sources

In your opinion :lol: based on the CDC reports and “other relatively reliable sources.” Shouldn’t you have stated it’s a FACT that’s he’s putting them at risk then?

As for your brothers grand children don’t you pose the same threat to them as him being unvaxed? You can still be a carrier of the virus and spread it around or is that more mis/disinformation by faceless internet posters? You sound a little uncertain about covid for someone that has all the facts and the right people on your side.

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:56 pm

Facebook and youtube shutdown anti vaxxers. Facebook will tag a post with a disinformation banner Then add link to what facebook believes to be truth. Make a video and post it on facebook about how bad vaccines are. They will shut your account down for 20 days.

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:14 pm

What is causing Southwest's cancelations? Is it pilots refusing a vaccine shot? I'm not sure why they call anti vaxers trump supporters. He received a vaccination.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:01 pm

"Selfish" - when these things are allowed to spread, they mutate. The great fear is that we will get a mutation that can withstand the various vaccines. The closer we get to fully vaccinated the less likely a Frankenstein mutation will occur.

This is good science, not Facebook rumor mongering.

I am afraid to ask whether the kids got vaccinated. Grandkids are too young.

And vaccination is no absolute guarantee - you are only 11 times less likely to die from Covid if you are vaccinated - not great odds either way. But what kind of fool would you be if you knew you could reduce your risk of premature death by an order of magnitude and chose not to do so?

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:09 pm

Just curious....did your brother give you his reason for not getting vaccinated?

I stand behind his right to choose, regardless if I agree or disagree, and I do think it's wise to get the shots, or a least Pfizer or Moderna Not so much J&J

You're not sounding very Liberal. (opinion)

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:11 pm

I came across this on another forum and offer it here for your consideration. I edited it slightly for clarification. The conversation was about wearing masks and another poster asked:

"Why not just get vaxxxed instead?"

The reply was:

"Its not A or B, its more like A and B and possibly C, D and E.

Nature is slowly persistent, and one solution is not going to fix it. I know I have had the approach of wishing (expecting?) that the one thing I do will solve my particular problem - but it rarely does, if ever. I sure wish it did - especially in this COVID time.

For example - proper parenting. Its not the one thing you do - its a myriad of approaches you and your partner take to try and guide your child towards right decisions. Just feeding them a healthy breakfast isn't going to do it. Just taking their cellphone away when they talk back isn't going to do it.

Basic risk management practices will demonstrate that multiple approaches to mitigate a risk will dramatically reduce the impact and probability of one. A consistent and broad enough approach can effectively avoid the risk altogether. This is what we do in Cybersecurity practices.

So while I do get that a vaccination is a 'one and done' approach that works for you - a 'vax and done' approach in general is worrisome to me because, like Dr. Ian Malcom (Jeff Goldblum from Jurassic Park) says - nature will find a way. I suspect a multiple pronged approach including me getting a vaccine, the general population with which I frequently interact with getting vaxed, wearing masks indoors, and preferring to meet out-of-doors if need be; all of which together with reduce my risk of getting COVID by having an exponentially more effective result than any singular approach.

Be safe out there!"

I think this is a reasonable, effective, risk management approach. It's what my wife & I do.

Richard

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:27 pm

Richard, sounds good. A multi faceted approach to beat this pandemic.

Dan Weinhold

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:38 pm

bob turner wrote:But what kind of fool would you be if you knew you could reduce your risk of premature death by an order of magnitude and chose not to do so?

Is there really more than 1 kind?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:25 pm

With the advent of social media and you tube there are all kinds of fools out there doing stupid things. :wink:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:43 pm

HONDO74 wrote:With the advent of social media and you tube there are all kinds of fools out there doing stupid things. :wink:

A fool is a fool is a fool......and categorizing them is foolish.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:11 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:With the advent of social media and you tube there are all kinds of fools out there doing stupid things. :wink:

A fool is a fool is a fool......and categorizing them is foolish.

So President Biden is just a FOOL........

Video: Biden walking through ritzy DC restaurant maskless, violating citywide mandate
https://www.yahoo.com/news/video-biden- ... 00056.html

Video footage shows a maskless President Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden walking through a Washington, D.C., restaurant, breaking the city's mask mandate for indoor venues.

The Bidens are seen walking through ritzy D.C. Italian seafood restaurant Fiola Mare Saturday evening, followed by Secret Service wearing black suits and black facemasks.

Washington, D.C.'s indoor mask mandate was reinstated in July due to rising delta variant cases for vaccinated and unvaccinated people over the age of 2.

Fiola Mare's own website clearly states masks must be worn in accordance with the city mandate.

"Per CDC guidance and DC Mayor Muriel Bowser’s executive order, all individuals over age 2 are required to wear a mask indoors, regardless of vaccination status. Masks must be always worn while in our restaurants, except while eating and drinking. Thank you for understanding," the restaurant's website reads.

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser has been caught several times violating her own mask mandate, most recently in September, when she spoke during an indoor panel at a convention center maskless, surrounded by maskless guest speakers.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”