Coronavirus:

Play nice and have fun...
HONDO74

Re: Coronavirus:

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:00 am

What Joe Biden Said About a 'Second Pandemic'
https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-seco ... ch-1717927

Video clips of President Joe Biden saying the U.S. needs to prepare for the next pandemic have gone viral on social media.

While speaking to the media in the Roosevelt Room on Tuesday, Biden praised his government's efforts to ensure children under five can now get vaccinations for COVID-19.

"This is a very historic milestone, a monumental step forward," Biden said during his speech.

"The United States is now the first country in the world to offer safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines for children as young as six months old.

"In the first time in our fight against this pandemic, nearly every American can now have access to lifesaving vaccines. And we're ready."

IF WE ARE READY,WHAT"S THE PROBLEM :?:

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:32 pm

Super-infectious BA.5 is a coronavirus 'beast.'
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/super-i ... 28079.html

The growing dominance of two super-infectious Omicron subvariants is threatening to exacerbate California's coronavirus wave, but experts and officials say there are sensible steps residents can take to protect themselves.

Taking preventative measures is especially important now, as the two strains in question — BA.4, and especially BA.5 — have shown the ability to reinfect even those who recently contracted an earlier Omicron subvariant.

"This is one of the biggest implications of BA.5: A prior infection, including an Omicron infection as recent as last month, no longer provides robust protection from reinfection," Dr. Robert Wachter, chair of UC San Francisco’s department of medicine, wrote on Twitter over the weekend.

BA.5 made up an estimated 53.6% of new cases nationwide for the weeklong period that ended Saturday, according to the latest figures from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A month ago, the subvariant was thought to be responsible for a bit less than 10% of new cases.

“BA.5 is a different beast with a new superpower: Enough alteration in the spike protein that immunity from either prior vax or prior Omicron infection (including recent infection) doesn’t offer much protection,” according to Wachter.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:06 pm

HONDO74 wrote:IF WE ARE READY,WHAT"S THE PROBLEM :?:

Diseases can be moving targets. That little detail seems to elude almost everyone for some reason.

We're as ready as possible, but last time I checked the future remains an unknown. It's hindsight that's exercised by critics that seems ever so clear and obvious.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:07 pm

HONDO74 wrote:Enough alteration in the spike protein that immunity from either prior vax or prior Omicron infection (including recent infection) doesn’t offer much protection.....

Mutations happen....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:53 pm

Has this virus weakened?
Last edited by robert. on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:32 pm

More of my friends are picking this one up - and most of them have had four shots. One, in paricular, had a weakened immune system, and died last month - a Scripps scientist I taught how to fly.
If you live in SoCal, go back to avoiding parties - I have stopped hugging the girls again; it is that serious!

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:49 pm

I have stopped hugging the girls again; it is that serious!

There’s a girl over on the California beaches not good enough thread that needs some hugging bob.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:53 pm

robert. wrote:Has this virus weakened?

No. Why would it? And which variant are you referring to anyway? There are probably weaker mutated variants, although weaker is at best vague - weaker in what sense and vs. what immunization status?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:54 pm

bob turner wrote:I have stopped hugging the girls again

No fun there!

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:07 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

No. Why would it? And which variant are you referring to anyway? There are probably weaker mutated variants, although weaker is at best vague - weaker in what sense and vs. what immunization status?

I read an article way back in the 2019 or early 2020. That said a virus will tend to become more contagious and less severe. Not every virus but most loose severity.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:35 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
bob turner wrote:I have stopped hugging the girls again

No fun there!

Nancy has one for you and one for bob….no worries. You can suckle yourselves to sleep :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:03 am

robert. wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I read an article way back in the 2019 or early 2020. That said a virus will tend to become more contagious and less severe. Not every virus but most loose severity.

Think about all the flu variants -- severity and contagion are variables. And, the targets of viruses also change. Immune systems change.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:54 am

What are the symptoms of the current variant? I have had something since last Sunday, not the flu. Super tired I spend half the day in bed.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:15 am

v8vega wrote:What are the symptoms of the current variant? I have had something since last Sunday, not the flu. Super tired I spend half the day in bed.

You couldn't possibly have it - you don't believe it's real. So whatever you do have is completely imaginary.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:15 pm

Not Covid-19 BUT :?:

The New York Times
The U.S. May Be Losing the Fight Against Monkeypox, Scientists Say
https://news.yahoo.com/u-may-losing-fig ... 22888.html

As epidemics go, the monkeypox outbreak should have been relatively easy to snuff out. The virus does not spread efficiently except through intimate contact, and tests and vaccines were at hand even before the current outbreak.

Yet the response in the United States has been sluggish and timid, reminiscent of the early days of the COVID pandemic, experts say, raising troubling questions about the nation’s preparedness for pandemic threats.

The first cases of monkeypox were reported in May, but tests will not be readily available until sometime this month. Vaccines will be in short supply for months longer. Surveillance is spotty, and official case counts are likely a gross underestimate.

There are already at least 700 cases in the United States, but experts say the real number is likely to be much higher. There probably will be many more infections before the outbreak can be controlled, if at this point it can be controlled at all.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”