Who takes flu and/or pneumonia shots

Play nice and have fun...
v8vega

Re: Who takes flu and/or pneumonia shots

Postby v8vega » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:02 am

The flu can be the beginning of the end if your getting up there in age.

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:17 pm

...especially if you're exposed to young, school-age grandchildren :roll:
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:36 pm

rex desilets wrote:...especially if you're exposed to young, school-age grandchildren :roll:

I think it's much more likely if you're exposed to someone that actually has the flu! :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:54 pm

E7 wrote:
rex desilets wrote:...especially if you're exposed to young, school-age grandchildren :roll:

I think it's much more likely if you're exposed to someone that actually has the flu! :mrgreen:

Maybe moving in with Murph in his bunker with the bear will save you from the flu.

But just going out the house to the routine locations, grocery stores, library, banks, etc. will almost certainly bring you into possible contact with someone with the flu or carrying the virus. School age children basically spend their days in a germ incubator so they can share with all their friends to take whatever home to everyone else. It's a wonder that teachers survive w/o becoming immune to just about everything.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Maybe moving in with Murph in his bunker with the bear will save you from the flu.

Do you think they'll have us? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:39 pm

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Maybe moving in with Murph in his bunker with the bear will save you from the flu.

Do you think they'll have us? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got to feed the bear with something better than Purina bear chow
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:56 pm

I almost hate to admit, seems almost un-American, that neither my wife or I get flu shots. The last time we had them was in 1970. Without a lot of details, in the combined @ 52 years that we taught since 1970 ( I taught 14 years before that ) we never had the flu. In 1970 when we had the shots we both had severe cases of flu that lasted way too long. I know Rufus can tell me that we are making a huge mistake and he may be right. This may be the year that gets us.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:53 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
E7 wrote:

Maybe moving in with Murph in his bunker with the bear will save you from the flu.

But just going out the house to the routine locations, grocery stores, library, banks, etc. will almost certainly bring you into possible contact with someone with the flu or carrying the virus. School age children basically spend their days in a germ incubator so they can share with all their friends to take whatever home to everyone else. It's a wonder that teachers survive w/o becoming immune to just about everything.
My daughter teaches kindergarten in a Las Vegas barrio. Each year she comes down with an assortment of ills, some of which may be the flu.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:13 am

rogruth wrote: This may be the year that gets us.

I hope not.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:22 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I hope not.

Me too.
roger

I support thread drift.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:20 am

rogruth wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I hope not.

Me too.

I got the mega "FluZone" shot at our local CVS. Simple. And with absolutely no after-shock, though for a few - a very few- days afterward, I felt especially tired, kind of seemed "aware" something like an adjustment, was transpiring inside of my entire body, so I stayed in the house, relaxing . By approximately the fourth day, I awoke in the morning feeling rested and refreshed and returned to normal. I am glad I got the inoculation , especially considering how active I am in our parish, which actually involves touching the mouths and tongues of some parishioners every Sunday.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:40 am

Murph,
You did the right thing and glad to see you back here on MTJ.
roger

I support thread drift.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:09 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
rogruth wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
I hope not.

Me too.

I got the mega "FluZone" shot at our local CVS. Simple. And with absolutely no after-shock, though for a few - a very few- days afterward, I felt especially tired, kind of seemed "aware" something like an adjustment, was transpiring inside of my entire body, so I stayed in the house, relaxing . By approximately the fourth day, I awoke in the morning feeling rested and refreshed and returned to normal. I am glad I got the inoculation , especially considering how active I am in our parish, which actually involves touching the mouths and tongues of some parishioners every Sunday.

Glad that you did as the flu appears to be peaking early this year with a significant number of fatalities.

And, very good to see you back posting here, too!

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Thank you , Rufus, for posting it was good to see me returning to MTJ .
I am doing so via my iPhone, only , and have
not visited MTJ via my computer since that RedScreen episode involving my attempting logging-in to MTJ that I had mentioned.

The entire screen on my computer said, quote:
We recommend that you do not continue to this website. It has been reported to Microsoft for containing threats to your computer that might reveal personal or financial information.

This website has been reported as unsafe.
Microsoft
Smart Screen

Case-closed, as far as I was concerned and understood .
Hence, this posting via my iPhone which is not linked to my computer via any deliberate action on my part.
Murph
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:54 pm

There is compelling evidence that those who receive a flu shot, particularly small children and older individuals, are less likely on average to be hospitalized or to die if they do get the flu. Some are completely protected, a few have no protection as it's not 100% effective compared with other vaccines like polio, measles, etc.

No doubt some folks will coincidentally get sick with something like the flu just after the shot. Not cause and effect. The vaccine is made up of inactive, killed viruses that cannot infect, just immunize. The sore arm and occasional low grade fever, feeling of lethargy after the shot are not due to infection but the inflammation caused by the adjuvant (stimulant) needed to stir up the immune system to respond to non-infectious viral substances (antigen). High fever or throat, cough, etc. symptoms are not due to the flu shot but some other infection.
Neil

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”