Who takes flu and/or pneumonia shots

Play nice and have fun...
rogruth

Re: Who takes flu and/or pneumonia shots

Postby rogruth » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Well OK to all of the above.
Do the very smallest "gears" eventually move? Or are they and I can't see the movement?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 am

rogruth wrote:Well OK to all of the above.
Do the very smallest "gears" eventually move? Or are they and I can't see the movement?

Yes and yes.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:16 pm

This year's flu.........

The CDC estimates there have been at least 3.7 million flu cases so far this season, 32,000 of which required hospitalization. Nearly 2,000 people have died, including 19 children.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:12 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:This year's flu.........

The CDC estimates there have been at least 3.7 million flu cases so far this season, 32,000 of which required hospitalization. Nearly 2,000 people have died, including 19 children.

This year's flu shot doesn't match virus circulating: report
https://www.foxnews.com/health/flu-shot ... ing-report

There's more bad news about the flu: The main strain of flu that's circulating right now doesn't exactly match what's in this year's flu shot, according to a new report.

However, the strain in the vaccine may still be close enough to offer some protection, officials said.

The news comes amid a particularly severe flu season in the U.S.; the season started early, and it's unclear if flu activity has peaked yet.

At the start of the season, officials noticed something very unusual: The main strain of flu virus circulating was a type called influenza B. Typically, influenza B does not cause as many cases as influenza A strains (H1N1 and H3N2) and tends to show up later in the flu season, not at the beginning. Indeed, the last time influenza B dominated flu activity in the U.S. was during the 1992-1993 flu season, according to the new report. Some evidence suggests that influenza B may be more deadly in children than in adults, Live Science previously reported.

The new report, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), details cases of flu among children in Louisiana, where flu has hit particularly hard. (Louisiana was one of the first states to experience elevated flu activity this season, all the way back in October 2019.)

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:15 pm

It never matches 100%. It can't. But it beats no shot.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:27 am

The mother in law and I got our flu shots yesterday.

Before we went to get the shots we were at the bank. One of the women we know was off two weeks with the flu. This was after she got the flu shot. You never know whats going to happen. You get your shots and take your chances. :wink:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:41 am

HONDO74 wrote:You never know whats going to happen. You get your shots and take your chances.

No vaccine is 100% perfect; the expectation of otherwise is problematic.

We got ours last month; covid boosters a few weeks later. Any protection beats none.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:57 am

Why I thought with all the masking and social distancing brought on by covid we pretty well had the flu under control. I heard on the news the other day the flu would be like it was in 1918 this year. One can’t help but believe that now that we are living with covid that they’re going to scare us with the flu now.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:40 pm

gregj410 wrote:Why I thought with all the masking and social distancing brought on by covid we pretty well had the flu under control. I heard on the news the other day the flu would be like it was in 1918 this year. One can’t help but believe that now that we are living with covid that they’re going to scare us with the flu now.

Scoff all you want - friend of mine just got over the flu -- almost 3 weeks, lungs were about gone, and nearly died; lost 30+ pounds and only now up to working 1/2 days. Saw him Thurs on his work site - looked like he'd been run over by a truck and then propped back up.

As for 1918......that seems to be hyperbole......which just about every news organization is very good at doing to get people riled up - worked on you, :wink: :wink: :wink:

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:59 pm

There’s enough paranoia around here w/o me bringing up any news media hype. I’m heading out to get my flu shot that has about 1 in 3 chances of helping me survive, but not because of the CNN hyperbole, but because I read it here first :wink:

As for scoffing....not my intent. I caught the Whu-flu on 10-26 and was bed ridden for 9-10 days. Off work for 2 weeks. It was everything they promised and more. Still not going to live out my life in some freakish paranoia over the latest virus floating around. When your numbers up, your numbers up, doesn’t matter what preventative measure you took.

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:25 am

I didn't slog through this whole post, but there are also shots for shingles and pneumonia. Shingles virus is present if you had chicken pox. Probably best to get them ALL. See your Doc and ask them!

A little addenda: Considering the number of OBITS I see with Pneumonia (obviously I can't vouch for the accuracy) as the cause of death, the shot appears to be a good investment. Opinion.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:18 am

E7 wrote: Considering the number of OBITS I see with Pneumonia (obviously I can't vouch for the accuracy) as the cause of death, the shot appears to be a good investment. Opinion.

It certainly is if your doc will give it to you - mine won't despite my having had pneumonia and being susceptible to respiratory problems. There's something tied to age and actual diagnosis of record that links to that vaccine being subscribed.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”