The Art of Model Railroading

Play nice and have fun...
webenda

The Art of Model Railroading

Postby webenda » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Rufus said, "Tinplated steel - total scratch build -- actually cost me nothing - free. Best thing I can do with it is to salvage the trucks and couplers, and I can use the archbars. More than a little crude representation of a GLa hopper; maybe 17/64th's as well. Load is actually cardboard."

I asked him to throw the car sans what he wants off of it my way. He did. It arrived today.

One man's trash is another man's art. This thing (made of real steel, none of that unrealistic brass) is a masterpiece of the primitive art of do-it-yourself model railroading. I am so reminded of Grandma Moses. (Grandma Moses art auctions in the $130,000 range. :D )

Thank you, Rufus.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Re: The Art of Model Railroading

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:47 pm

It does have some of that charm one associates with crafts and all, but it's in a happier home now and that's what matters.

Glad you like it.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:14 pm

webenda wrote: ...snip... This thing (made of real steel, ...snip...

There was a company called Arvid L. Anderson (-sen?) that made O scale hoppers out of steel. I got one done up for ERIE in a group of Weaver hoppers; oddly, it was in a Weaver box that once held an ERIE car. The car numbers did not match, though. :shock: They were/are nice cars equal to or maybe a little better than the Weavers in detail. Oh, and a lot less fragile! :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:32 pm

I thought the Arvid A kits were all brass?

Pretty sure that the Rail Craft kits were steel
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:44 pm

That PRR hopper looks great to me. :D
Very nice.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I thought the Arvid A kits were all brass?

I just checked the ERIE car with a magnet, it must be brass as here is no attraction. I am happy because I learned something today about the Anderson cars, I always thought that they were steel. Note that the label states that the car that would have been in the box was a Bev-Bel product with the road number 862254, the car in the box is 234157. Needless to say, I am happy with my $10.00 brass hopper with KD couplers! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: Note: I just improved it, I installed IM wheelsets. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”