STREET LIFE

Play nice and have fun...
John Webster

Re: STREET LIFE

Postby John Webster » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Murph, you could try Respigi's Pines Along the Appian Way.
You begin flying with a full bag of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:30 pm

John Webster wrote:Murph, you could try Respigi's Pines Along the Appian Way.

Huh? :)

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:16 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:

Huh? :)

It is very peaceful Murph. :=> https://youtu.be/1Dshxdz7muc

This movement (4/4) portrays pine trees along the Appian Way (Latin and Italian: Via Appia) in the misty dawn, as a triumphant legion advances along the road in the brilliance of the newly-rising sun. Respighi wanted the ground to tremble under the footsteps of his army and he instructs the organ to play bottom B♭ on the 8 foot, 16 foot and 32 foot organ pedals. The score calls for six buccine – ancient circular trumpets that are usually represented by modern flugelhorns, and which are sometimes partially played offstage. Trumpets peal (a little loud for the Murph?) and the consular army rises in triumph to the Capitoline Hill.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:33 pm

Murph,
It is a symphony in four connected movements depicting scenes around Rome called The Pines of Rome by Ottorino Resphigi.
I think the first section would be more appropriate for your photo but it is an excellent recommendation. I think the first movement is the Pines of the Villa Borghese. It is very bright and happy. Then the Pines of the Catacombs with very dark sounds. This is followed by the Pines of the Janiculum with a night time scene and the recorded sound of a nightingale. Last is the Pines of the Appian Way which depicts the return of an army to Rome. Grand march style.
If you haven't heard this work I strongly suggest you get a copy and listen. I think you will fall in love with it on your first hearing.You may think a different movement is best for your forest view. I suggest that you drive to the site and listen to the music while parked, or driving around.
I first played the Pines with the Wheeling,W.Va, Symphony when I was 15. Hmm.That is 69 years ago. It is still a favorite.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:39 pm

The Peragallo Organ Company are our cousins. I love organ music. My wife and I recently spent time in their studio-workshop, on the occasion of their anniversary. I considered, while there , volunteering to help them with some menial task among all the skilled work they do, when birthing an organ, or like accompanying them the next time they are in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC for maintenance and/or shepherding the organ through its next major religious event.

No Classical organ music is too much for me, Tocatta and Fuges being a favorite. I have the speakers in our house organized so I can blast such works as Bach's Tocatta and Fuge in D Minor loud enough on our Bose system to vibrate the floor upon which I am lying flat, arms outstretched and head facing upward .

So I thank you, John, Wayne, and Roger for informing me about a musical composition I had never heard. I will make its audio acquaintance very soon.

I feel like I have just attended an on-line graduate course's concentrated focus on a work of music I must learn more about, and experience, very soon .

Thank you, each of you, very, very much.
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:09 pm

John Webster, thanks to Wayne's kindness and Roger's excellent description, I reviewed some photos online of the Appian Way, and can see your point in the suggestion of that musical composition because this favorite roadway of mine has much in common with the ancient Roman Way (though not paved as well) , doesn't it. :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 4204 times
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Murph,
To clear up any confusion the Pines of Rome is an orchestral piece.
roger

I support thread drift.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:32 pm

rogruth wrote:Murph,

Thank you,, Roger. My mentioning organ music not bothering me was in reply to Wayne's remarks about the "ground trembling" and "the organ to play Bottom Bb" on the 8 foot, 16 foot, and 32 foot organ peddles," and such music possible being too much for me, "a little loud for the Murph," with such organ peddles being part of the playing. Also, "Trumpets" are organ peddle names, too, if I recall correctly.

I had better go listen to the link Wayne provided, now: Andre Rieu, Pini di Roma, and the Johann Strauss Orchestra, performing the Third Tone Poem for orchestra in Respighi's collection of works.

The link provided the First Movement, only. I have to find a source for the Second Movement, the one reflecting the darkness of the Catacombs, as you informed me.

I just now, I think, found the whole work, listed on YouTube under the name Ottorino Respighi, which is designated as lasting 22min. I am in the process of hearing it now....

One thing for certain, your collective and individual kindnesses, John, Wayne, and Roger, have determined that I will treat myself to another trip back to Brake Hill Road in Upstate NY, very soon, and I will just sit there and absorb it all, once again, perhaps with the music playing as well, to accompany the shade, sunlight, breezes, and peace. Again, Thank You.
"Doing wrong is like a joke to a fool." Proverbs 10: 21-28

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:56 am

rogruth wrote:Murph,

Assuming I have listened to the correct recommended piece, Roger, I have to tell you, I hear something of these works in the performance I listened to, last night, in its entirety:
Berlioz: Symphony Fantastique.
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring.
Dvorak: Symphony #9, From the New World.

I can't be surgical in explaining what and why that may have happened, but find it curious those pieces came to mind while listening to the Respighi piece. Can you think of any reason(s) this might have occurred ? I figure, you would know far batter than I why such other works came to mind for me.

John? Wayne? Any perspectives in this regard?

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:07 am

A pipe organ in our shop. Most of the sound parts are shot. This one is all about the case.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:20 am

Robert, When you say "your shop," are you referring to where you have your own organ which needs repair? Or do you have a shop of your own in which you rescue the organs of others? I'm not sure what you are saying. Do you want me to connect you with our cousins? Peragallo can completely replace/repair/refurbish any part of that organ, including every pipe and the woodwork. They have an organ completely disassembled in their shop right now, as they rescue it. Would you like me to take pictures there and show you what they can do to assist you? Shall I show them these photos of yours?

If you would like a recommendation, you could contact the Cardinal's office in NYC about the Pergallo's work for them. The association has been a long one.
Murph
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:14 am

No need to contact them. One day we will remove everything and place a flat screen tv in it. It’s to far gone for music.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:38 am

Murph,
All of the pieces you mentioned were composed before the Pines so it is not surprising to hear sounds from them in other works.
They also could be considered to be rather ground breaking pieces and affected many.
roger

I support thread drift.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you, Roger. I suspected as much.
Murph

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:00 pm

And Thank You, again, John, for the recommendation.
I knew when I posted that "Huh?" I could look like an idiot, but I went ahead anyway, having had no idea what was being recommended. At that moment, I wasn't even familiar with that being music. Next time, I'll try to be more appropriate.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”