Kalmbach

Play nice and have fun...
rogruth

Kalmbach

Postby rogruth » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:34 pm

This maybe old information to most of you but I recently heard that Bob Keller will no longer be at CTT magazine.
Also that there would be fewer issues per year. Mention was also made of other Kalmbach publications being affected.
Anybody kmow what is going on?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

HONDO74

Re: Kalmbach

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:52 pm

rogruth wrote:This maybe old information to most of you but I recently heard that Bob Keller will no longer be at CTT magazine.
Also that there would be fewer issues per year. Mention was also made of other Kalmbach publications being affected.

Roger, I think what is happening is that all print media is dying with the internet and digital taking it's place. They are reliant of advertiser dollars that have moved elsewhere.

OGR had a digital edition for download from subscribers. Did CTT do the same ??

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 pm

I don't know. I don't care for digital mags.
roger

I support thread drift.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:01 pm

rogruth wrote:This maybe old information to most of you but I recently heard that Bob Keller will no longer be at CTT magazine.

CTT is running out of material.......
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Why no modern day classics? You can find online anything you want for free. Every toy train made now has a youtube review. Maybe even 20 reviews. Even with layout photos. Guys do 2 -3 year long build thread. What's the point of a mag publishing his end result. It's old news already.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:15 pm

robert. wrote:Why no modern day classics? You can find online anything you want for free. Every toy train made now has a youtube review. Maybe even 20 reviews. Even with layout photos. Guys do 2 -3 year long build thread. What's the point of a mag publishing his end result. It's old news already.

Maybe so but I am an old codger that really doesn't care for digital. I would rather read print books and mags. As I have stated many times MTJ is my favorite forum on a computer. The people here, well most of them, seem like real people and because thread drift isn't a cardinal sin talk, usually,
like real people. I have met a few of the posters here and would like to meet more. This is very unlikely as I don't travel very far or long anymore so
I enjoy them here in this way.
There are some folks I don't agree with but they have the same right to an opinion as I have. There was a time when I would physically challenge,
if necessary, anyone that rubbed me wrong. Quite a few years ago I decided that my actions, either physical or verbal, didn't accomplish much.
So now I try to live what is left for me in a fun and unaggravated manner. The only person who can upset me or tell me what to do these days is
the lady I have been married to for sixty-four years. That time has not been perfect but I still love her.

So how was that for thread drift? :D
roger

I support thread drift.

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:53 am

I made a post here several years ago that was a regular news story and was promptly told that I better delete that quick before I got banned.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:07 am

v8vega wrote:I made a post here several years ago that was a regular news story and was promptly told that I better delete that quick before I got banned.

That is real news to me. I have been here for some time. Does not sound like MTJ.
roger

I support thread drift.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:16 am

rogruth wrote:
v8vega wrote:I made a post here several years ago that was a regular news story and was promptly told that I better delete that quick before I got banned.

That is real news to me. I have been here for some time. Does not sound like MTJ.

The only members that have been banned are those that have attacked other members through verbal abuse and have become threatening. Like the person who went by the name of VOX. He went off on Murph a couple of times. He got kicked off of OGR a couple of times also.

If you are re-posting a news article you need to post a link to the article and acknowledge that is where it came from. Even that can be a little sticky at times because of copyright.

People who have had their layouts published in one of the train magazines cannot use the pictures that were used because those now belong to the magazine. They own the copyright on them.

chuck

Postby chuck » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:37 am

CTT, MRR, Trains, Fine Scale Modeler are all available as digital editions via Zinio. I have a digital subscription for CTT. I like it on the iPad and it is one of the reasons I'm considering upgrading to the iPad Pro 12.9" (not because if CTT but because digital editions often support features like active links, are searchable and best of all the take up no space and don't get funky as time goes by.)

No idea if or why Bob Keller is leaving, I wish him the best no matter what. He and Roger Carp are two of the main reasons I still read the magazine.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:53 am

There is some "news" that is questionable...maybe that's why the suggestion?
However, since Roger posted this, there seems to be a whole lot more to this Clambake Saga.
Change at the helm at CTT plus frequency of issue...and one other magazine is badly affected....lost the founder/editor, went from every two months issue to quarterly....gonna watch it close.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 pm

HONDO74 wrote:People who have had their layouts published in one of the train magazines cannot use the pictures that were used because those now belong to the magazine. They own the copyright on them.

Well, that's a big maybe and complete dependent on what type of agreement the publication uses. It's rare that actual ownership of copyright is transferred but rather exclusive right of publication is generally put into place.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Al Gore's "Internet" strikes again.

I realize there is much good with the internet, but personally, I think the good is outweighed by the bad. We are just beginning to see how destructive the internet is so many levels that we never even dreamed it could be used for, even 10 years ago. I'm sure part of it is my age and accepting change, but while our generation was worried about "Big Brother" watching us, the younger generations (below 40) either don't care or they embrace it. Everyone has to know everything about everybody. I'm a private kind of person and I can't embrace that philosophy.

BH

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:17 pm

To sime it must be a good thing that "big box" stores are losing business to internet sales.
Personally I prefer to go to the store where model trains are sold to look at a product in
person rather than just look at a picture. This type of place is quickly disappearing.
And I don't mean just model trains. I would rather go to the store and try on shoes,or anything
before I make a purchase. My wife is just the opposite. She will get what ever and if it doesn't
fit or she doesn;t like something about it she mails it back the same day. Any money she
saved she spent on returns. Oh well.
roger

I support thread drift.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Just remember..when it comes to Clambake, they don't seem to let information out.
When Neil was canned at CTT, there has never been any press release or statement pertaining to that at all from Clambake. Still. To this day.
It all started going downhill rapidly when they re-organized as Kalmbach Media from Kalmbach Publishing, end of 2017/beginning of 2018.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”