Save the EARTH

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Save the EARTH

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:16 am

up148 wrote:........ temps rise enough to compromise the electrical grid or ???

The temperature window for flora and fauna is surprising small.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:35 am

Looks like the multi trillion dollar infrastructure bill is going to butt heads with that UN report. No way to build new roads and bridges without increasing carbon output. And if we are going to go all electric. they better figure out how they are going to produce all the electricity that will ne needed.

Looks like part of Biden's infrastructure plan is to tear down some of the interstate roads to combat racism :?:

Biden's unlikely plan to use roads to fight racism
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58106414

Tucked into US President Joe Biden's expansive infrastructure bill is a plan to knock down "racist" roads that he says harm minority communities - but not everyone he's trying to help agrees.

A fine layer of soot covers the straw-yellow paint of the wooden houses that line Interstate 81, a highway in downtown Syracuse, New York state, held up by rusted steel girders and dingy pillars of cement.

The road, from which car exhaust billows out to choke passers-by and the sound of lorry (truck) tyres can be heard day and night, cuts the surrounding neighborhood in two.

It includes $1bn for "reconnecting communities", which means tearing down urban highways that run through neighbourhoods like the one in Syracuse. But whether knocking down roads along which generations of Americans have lived is a route to racial progress is an open question - and there are plenty of sceptics.

It will probably be 30 years before they get all the environment impact studies done :wink:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:16 am

HONDO74 wrote:Looks like the multi trillion dollar infrastructure bill is going to butt heads with that UN report. No way to build new roads and bridges without increasing carbon output. And if we are going to go all electric. they better figure out how they are going to produce all the electricity that will ne needed.

Turn the midwest into a solar farm...
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:35 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:Looks like the multi trillion dollar infrastructure bill is going to butt heads with that UN report. No way to build new roads and bridges without increasing carbon output. And if we are going to go all electric. they better figure out how they are going to produce all the electricity that will ne needed.

I think we are working on it. In an area not to far from me, Nixa Mo. they put in a solar farm. There is a power sub station across the road from it that they tied into. Works great.... Except the people in the area are complaining about their electric rates going up. Somebody has to pay for it. :wink:

Most of my electricity comes from Table Rock dam. Some of it comes from a power plant in Springfield that converted from coal to natural gas 10 years ago. Used to see coal trains coming through my town from Wyoming. None now, Just container trains loaded with crap coming through from China going to the east. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:55 am

HONDO74 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I think we are working on it. In an area not to far from me, Nixa Mo. they put in a solar farm. There is a power sub station across the road from it that they tied into. Works great.... Except the people in the area are complaining about their electric rates going up. Somebody has to pay for it. :wink:

Yes, they are paying the electric company for the electricity that they are not selling that was generated by non-solar that they are still contractually obligated to buy and also still having to run the gas powered plants. Those cost do not go away.

Entire fields that farmers are just not using are being converted over; school down the road from my place in PA - entire yard is a solar farm.

I will be setting up a panel later this year just to provide power to my one shed. Pending that, more on the main roof to power some independent stuff in the house.

Most of my electricity comes from Table Rock dam. Some of it comes from a power plant in Springfield that converted from coal to natural gas 10 years ago. Used to see coal trains coming through my town from Wyoming. None now, Just container trains loaded with crap coming through from China going to the east. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coal essentially died years ago. Not all coming east across the river; plenty of containers being delivered to the east coast directly.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:41 pm

Gas stoves and water heaters face a climate change reckoning
https://news.yahoo.com/gas-stoves-and-w ... 07213.html

In 2019, Berkeley became the first city in the country to ban gas stoves and water heaters in all new construction in order to cut down greenhouse gas emissions that are causing climate change. Since then, dozens of others, including Seattle, San Francisco and New York, have followed suit with similar restrictions and President Biden has laid out an ambitious plan to help Americans ditch gas appliances and heaters in favor of electric ones.

“The United States can create good-paying jobs and cut emissions and energy costs for families by supporting efficiency upgrades and electrification in buildings through support for job-creating retrofit programs and sustainable affordable housing, wider use of heat pumps and induction stoves, and adoption of modern energy codes for new buildings,” the White House said of the plan on its website.

On the other hand the "Quockerwodger" in the whitehouse.

White House asks U.S. oil-and-gas companies to help lower fuel costs -sources
https://news.yahoo.com/white-house-asks ... 29154.html

(Reuters) -The White House has been speaking with U.S. oil and gas producers in recent days about helping to bring down rising fuel costs, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

Energy costs are rising worldwide, in some cases leading to shortages in major economies like China and India. In the United States, the average retail cost of a gallon of gas is at a seven-year high, and winter fuel costs are expected to surge, according to the U.S. Energy Department. Oil-and-gas production remains below the nation's peak reached in 2019.

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:53 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:We grew up with glass and those mostly had deposits. We can go back to that - why not?

If people want to do away with plastic, fine. Suck it up and use glass, and either charge a deposit or collect the glass for recycling - we already do the latter.

Absolutely NOT! That makes far too much sense! Shame on you! :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:31 am

HONDO74 wrote:Energy costs are rising worldwide........

But they are nowhere where they were jut a few years ago when oil forged way over $100/barrel. Just been creeping up toward $100/barrel only very recently. Suspect it's not the cost of the energy as much as the cost of logistics of transport and refineries.

In the United States, the average retail cost of a gallon of gas is at a seven-year high............

I keep hearing that but not seeing it anywhere around here. Gas here is $3.09; up in only the past 2 weeks or so......and was $2.99 for well over a year. Gas prices have been impacted by what seems to be never ending major storms plowing across where our aging refineries are located. What's it running where you are now?

up148

Postby up148 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:13 am

We've been in the mid to upper $3.00 range for the high octane gas for many, many months. We always seem to be at the higher range for gasoline prices around the country, yet Oklahoma produces a tremendous about of oil and natural gas. I thought that would qualify us for better fuel prices, but it doesn't and I once read the oil extracted in OK is a very good quality "sweet" oil and is exported to Japan. Seems the refineries aren't set up for oil this good and it takes more $$$ to refine it. Never looked into this as the answer would most likely just p*ss me off. :?

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:20 am

Pa. Has 58.7 cents gas and 75.2 cents diesel tax a gallon. When diesel reaches $4.00 a gallon it cost near 50 cents per mile to for my delivery truck.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:20 am

up148 wrote:We've been in the mid to upper $3.00 range for the high octane gas for many, many months. We always seem to be at the higher range for gasoline prices around the country, yet Oklahoma produces a tremendous about of oil and natural gas. I thought that would qualify us for better fuel prices, but it doesn't and I once read the oil extracted in OK is a very good quality "sweet" oil and is exported to Japan. Seems the refineries aren't set up for oil this good and it takes more $$$ to refine it. Never looked into this as the answer would most likely just p*ss me off. :?

I suspect it's more likely that it's exported (if that's even true....) solely on the basis of higher profits. More likely it's the costs of trans port out of state to refineries, refinement costs and blending, and then shipped back to a state where profits are maximized where the population is willing to be gouged.

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:44 am

Well, since we can't use the crude they pull out of the ground (read in local paper) we are definitely importing our gas. I'll have to check, but I imagine we are using the NG they pull out, of which we have a great deal.

Yeah, they always find a way to gouge you and always have an excuse/reason.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:09 am

Be thankful you don't live in Gorda California

The price of regular unleaded gas at a station in Gorda, California, hit $7.59 on Thursday as gas prices jump across the country to a 7-year high, according to a report.

The Gorda station is known to have some of the highest prices in the country ABC 7 reported. The price of premium hit $8.50 at the central coast station.

President Biden joined CNN for a televised town hall on Thursday night and said that he does not foresee any significant drop in prices in near future.

"My guess is you’ll start to see gas prices come down as we get by going into the winter, I mean, excuse me, into next year in 2022," he said.

Oklahoma and Texas are the only two states in the nation where the average price of gas still sits below $3 per gallon, according to GasBuddy's Patrick De Haan.

"By the weekend, we'll see no states with an average of under $3/gal, it'll be the first time in over 2,500 days since that last occurred," De Haan said in a subsequent tweet.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:00 am

What will happen when sates pay 15 an hour to pump gas?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:09 am

Who uses premium gas?

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”