Save the EARTH

Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: Save the EARTH

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:36 am

CBS News, this morning, showed a Polar Bear ambling across a baseball field in Canada, its polar white being an interesting and unfamiliar contrast to the green grass of the outfield. The bear was pursued and darted to protect the surrounding community from having to be in contact with it.

I've seen pictures and film of Polar Bears getting stranded on floating mini-icebergs, but they were in the Artic Ocean, not in ballfields in Canada.
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:44 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:CBS News, this morning, showed a Polar Bear ambling across a baseball field in Canada, its polar white being an interesting and unfamiliar contrast to the green grass of the outfield. The bear was pursued and darted to protect the surrounding community form having to be in contact with it.

I've seen pictures and film of Polar Bears getting stranded on floating mini-icebergs, but they were in the Arctic Ocean, not in ballfields in Canada.

I think it might be easier for a polar bear to get off the mini iceberg than to get out of the ball field near a town.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:42 pm

I learned, today, that South America's Patagonia has a stable 6,000+ long glacier which is believed to be a mile thick.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:11 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
I've seen pictures and film of Polar Bears getting stranded on floating mini-icebergs, but they were in the Artic Ocean, not in ballfields in Canada.

I doubt that polar bear was stranded. They are excellent swimmers. Probably looking for a seal to eat.

Watch this video from the BBC.
Hungry Polar Bear Ambushes Seal | The Hunt | BBC Earth Jun 30, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNO0kxTClYo

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:44 am

Looks like Europe os going to be burning fossil fuels for a long time as they become dependent on Russia for their gas and oil.

Denmark Snubs Trump With Approval of Russian Gas Pipe to Europe
https://news.yahoo.com/denmark-snubs-tr ... 04626.html

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:04 pm

HONDO74 wrote:Looks like Europe os going to be burning fossil fuels for a long time as they become dependent on Russia for their gas and oil.

So? The US can't compete on this realistically.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:39 pm

I believe we can. There are ports all along the Spanish, French, and Belgium coasts, and they have railroads that can reach back into Poland and other European countries. Natural gas is converted to liquid and transported just like oil is transported, so it is doable. The thing is that the Germans and other European countries insist on purchasing from their enemy, Russia, who can squeeze their balls anytime they want to by overpricing or just cutting the gas off. Imagine that in the dead of winter. The US now has so much natural gas that we are a net exporter.
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Mitch wrote:I believe we can. There are ports all along the Spanish, French, and Belgium coasts, and they have railroads that can reach back into Poland and other European countries. Natural gas is converted to liquid and transported just like oil is transported, so it is doable. The thing is that the Germans and other European countries insist on purchasing from their enemy, Russia, who can squeeze their balls anytime they want to by overpricing or just cutting the gas off. Imagine that in the dead of winter. The US now has so much natural gas that we are a net exporter.

I don't know that we can - transport costs and shipping over ocean vs. pipelines.

Why they have made what seems surely a poor decision (many actually...) is difficult to figure.

Maybe we should export less and lower our domestic costs first?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:36 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Mitch wrote:I believe we can. There are ports all along the Spanish, French, and Belgium coasts, and they have railroads that can reach back into Poland and other European countries. Natural gas is converted to liquid and transported just like oil is transported, so it is doable. The thing is that the Germans and other European countries insist on purchasing from their enemy, Russia, who can squeeze their balls anytime they want to by overpricing or just cutting the gas off. Imagine that in the dead of winter. The US now has so much natural gas that we are a net exporter.

I don't know that we can - transport costs and shipping over ocean vs. pipelines.

Why they have made what seems surely a poor decision (many actually...) is difficult to figure.

Maybe we should export less and lower our domestic costs first?

This last sentence sounds really good. Possibly we could reopen some manufacturing if costs were lower.
Just a comment. I know little about this.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:39 pm

Mother Nature is Officially Pissed :wink: :mrgreen:

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Venice is in big trouble again. Flooding of over 80% of the paved areas and buildings has reached over 6' . A person was seen swimming across the square in front of St. Mark's cathedral. It's the worst it's been since the 1960's.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:05 am

A rubbish story: China's mega-dump full 25 years ahead of schedule
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50429119

China's largest dump is already full - 25 years ahead of schedule.

The Jiangcungou landfill in Shaanxi Province, which is the size of around 100 football fields, was designed to take 2,500 tonnes of rubbish per day.

But instead it received 10,000 tonnes of waste per day - the most of any landfill site in China.

China is one of the world's biggest polluters, and has been struggling for years with the rubbish its 1.4 billion citizens generate.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:33 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Venice is in big trouble again. Flooding of over 80% of the paved areas and buildings has reached over 6' . A person was seen swimming across the square in front of St. Mark's cathedral. It's the worst it's been since the 1960's.

Plenty of Holy Water available - break out the water wings!

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:51 pm

Extinction Rebellion aims to turn up political heat with hunger strikes
https://news.yahoo.com/extinction-rebel ... 02164.html

LONDON, Nov 20 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Extinction Rebellion activists pressing for more rapid action on climate change threats on Wednesday entered a third day of a week-long hunger strikes in 27 countries.

The strikes, which began Monday, have been in part spearheaded by 20-year-old Giovanni Tamacas, a University of San Diego student, who carried out a solo hunger strike last month in front of the White House.

“We are hunger striking because we have no choice," he said in a statement, arguing governments and corporations "have criminally and catastrophically failed to tackle the climate and ecological emergency".

If this helps to reduce the over population of the planet I say go for it. However there are thousands of replacements being born every day. :mrgreen:

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:52 am

China biodegradable plastics 'failing to solve pollution crisis'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55301203

A massive increase in biodegradable plastic production in China is outpacing the country's ability to degrade the materials, according to a new report published by the charity Greenpeace.

China - the world's largest producer of plastic waste - introduced bans earlier this year on several types of non-degradable single-use plastics, prompting manufacturers to ramp up production of biodegradable versions.

According to Greenpeace, 36 companies in China have planned or built new biodegradable plastic manufacturing facilities, adding production capacity of more than 4.4 million tonnes per year - a more than sevenfold increase in less than 12 months.

China's e-commerce industry is on track to generate an estimated 5 million tonnes of biodegradable plastic waste per year by 2025, when the country's single-use plastic bans come into effect nationwide, the charity said.

'Staggering' levels of plastic pollution by 2040
Reality Check: Where is the plastic waste mountain?

Biodegradable plastics can be broken down by living organisms, but most require specific industrial treatment at high temperatures to be degraded within six months. Left in landfills under normal circumstances, the materials can take much longer to begin to break down and will still release carbon into the atmosphere.

"In the absence of controlled composting facilities, most biodegradable plastics end up in landfills, or worse, in rivers and the ocean," said Greenpeace's East Asia plastics researcher Dr Molly Zhongnan Jia.

"Switching from one type of plastic to another cannot solve the plastics pollution crisis that we're facing," she said.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”