Save the EARTH

Play nice and have fun...
HONDO74

Re: Save the EARTH

Postby HONDO74 » Tue May 25, 2021 11:16 am

v8vega wrote:Hondo did you type all that or copy and paste it. Do you sight type or proper type?

It is a cut and past from the link I posted......

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/bid ... -us-miners

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:12 am

Climate change tipping points are upon us, draft U.N. report warns: 'The worst is yet to come'
https://news.yahoo.com/climate-change-t ... 03244.html

A draft report by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change warns that unless drastic and immediate action is taken to limit greenhouse gas emissions and keep global temperatures from rising further, life on earth is poised for a catastrophic reckoning.

The 4,000-page draft, a copy of which was obtained by Agence France-Presse, states that mankind may have already missed its opportunity to keep the climate from passing a series of thresholds that will further spur the warming of the planet.

“Life on Earth can recover from a drastic climate shift by evolving into new species and creating new ecosystems,” the report says. “Humans cannot.”

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:53 am

Humans can not or will not?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:00 am

HONDO74 wrote:“Life on Earth can recover from a drastic climate shift by evolving into new species and creating new ecosystems,” the report says. “Humans cannot.”

Someone needs to go back to school; evolution is a constant process. Now whether it can move fast enough is another topic entirely.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:26 pm

So would less people help alleviate the greenhouse affect?/ effect?
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:31 pm

rogruth wrote:So would less people help alleviate the greenhouse affect?/ effect?

Not that simple or necessary even.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:01 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
rogruth wrote:So would less people help alleviate the greenhouse affect?/ effect?

I think that was the idea behind the book by Paul Ehrlick (?) The Population Bomb.Or some similar title.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:11 pm

rogruth wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

I think that was the idea behind the book by Paul Ehrlick (?) The Population Bomb.Or some similar title.

Or, Soylent Green, :wink: :wink:

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:09 pm

There is a new "Netflix" show about climate change, narrated by David Attenborough called "Breaking Boundaries". Very interesting and worth the time to view. “Breaking Boundaries tells the story of the most important scientific discovery of our time – that humanity has pushed Earth beyond the boundaries that have kept Earth stable for 10,000 years, since the dawn of civilization,” There are 9 boundaries that keep our planet healthy enough to support human life and we've already surpassed several.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb6wQtNjblk

Although over-population is not mentioned, destruction of rain forest and jungles to produce food is. If we didn't have more people than the planet could support, then we wouldn't have to rape the land for food. It's a pretty sobering show and presented very well.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:28 am

up148 wrote:Although over-population is not mentioned, destruction of rain forest and jungles to produce food is. If we didn't have more people than the planet could support, then we wouldn't have to rape the land for food. It's a pretty sobering show and presented very well.

Actually, we're very wasteful and inefficient when it comes to food production. If we were to correct that deficit, we'd be in far better shape than we are now headed. And, yes.....very good show; Attenborough tends to present well.

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:12 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:Although over-population is not mentioned, destruction of rain forest and jungles to produce food is. If we didn't have more people than the planet could support, then we wouldn't have to rape the land for food. It's a pretty sobering show and presented very well.

Actually, we're very wasteful and inefficient when it comes to food production. If we were to correct that deficit, we'd be in far better shape than we are now headed. And, yes.....very good show; Attenborough tends to present well.

Never cared for him much when I was younger, but all his shows since the early 2000's are just incredible and I've gained a whole new respect for him.....he is severely sincere about what he's been preaching for the past 50-60 years. I've learned more about nature/animals/oceans, etc, etc, in the past 2 decades watching his shows than I every dreamed I would. We'll miss him when he goes and at 94, he just can't have that many more productive years. In fact these 2020 produced shows might be his last...hope not.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:45 am

up148 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Never cared for him much when I was younger, but all his shows since the early 2000's are just incredible and I've gained a whole new respect for him.....he is severely sincere about what he's been preaching for the past 50-60 years. I've learned more about nature/animals/oceans, etc, etc, in the past 2 decades watching his shows than I every dreamed I would. We'll miss him when he goes and at 94, he just can't have that many more productive years. In fact these 2020 produced shows might be his last...hope not.

There was a good interview with him recently that I caught a lot of and "severely sincere" is accurate. Can';t watch his shows w/o learning.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:00 pm

Climate change: IPCC report is 'code red for humanity'
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-58130705

Human activity is changing the climate in unprecedented and sometimes irreversible ways, a major UN scientific report has said.

The landmark study warns of increasingly extreme heatwaves, droughts and flooding, and a key temperature limit being broken in just over a decade.

The report "is a code red for humanity", says the UN chief.

But scientists say a catastrophe can be avoided if the world acts fast.

There is hope that deep cuts in emissions of greenhouse gases could stabilise rising temperatures.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:06 pm

China continues to rely heavily on coal.
new coal-fired station are still being built across China.

Why China's climate policy matters to us all
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57483492

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:52 am

I don't know how long before the oceans rise enough to affect major cities or temps rise enough to compromise the electrical grid or ???, but it's coming. It will be a different way of life in the future for sure.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”