Save the EARTH

Play nice and have fun...
robert.

Re: Save the EARTH

Postby robert. » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:40 pm

Part of my point was lost or i did not make it clear enough. Every country should stop shipping coal to china. So many complaining about china’s pollution problems are feeding the fire.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:15 pm

robert. wrote:Every country should stop shipping coal to china.

Good luck with that - they either don't have the spine or cannot afford to stop either economically and/or politically.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:21 pm

I can see how stopping would prove to be a hardship for many. It nay even ruin politicians’ careers. It all comes back to. If you want to make an omelette you gotta crack some eggs. Achieving a clean environment wont be easy or cheap. Who ever solves this problem most likely wont have any friends left.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:26 pm

robert. wrote:I can see how stopping would prove to be a hardship for many. It nay even ruin politicians’ careers. It all comes back to. If you want to make an omelette you gotta crack some eggs. Achieving a clean environment wont be easy or cheap. Who ever solves this problem most likely wont have any friends left.

Way beyond just hardship or careers. Might not have a country left either; China has some real leverage over just about every country that when applied can cripple an economy in a matter of weeks.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:46 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
robert. wrote:I can see how stopping would prove to be a hardship for many. It nay even ruin politicians’ careers. It all comes back to. If you want to make an omelette you gotta crack some eggs. Achieving a clean environment wont be easy or cheap. Who ever solves this problem most likely wont have any friends left.

Way beyond just hardship or careers. Might not have a country left either; China has some real leverage over just about every country that when applied can cripple an economy in a matter of weeks.

What would they do bomb us? Ask for their money back. I bet most of the world could live without food exported by china. See how long china last with any food imported. Start cracking those eggs it's time to make an omelette.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:39 am

robert. wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

What would they do bomb us? Ask for their money back. I bet most of the world could live without food exported by china. See how long china last with any food imported. Start cracking those eggs it's time to make an omelette.

Gee, you might consider that China actually does control some materials that the world does depend on - when they cut those off, just abot everything stops.

Maybe you need take the 1st step, move to Australia and get elected there, and cut off exports to China.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:03 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
robert. wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

Gee, you might consider that China actually does control some materials that the world does depend on - when they cut those off, just abot everything stops.

Maybe you need take the 1st step, move to Australia and get elected there, and cut off exports to China.

Australia’s laws wont allow me to run for office or live there. They don’t put up with foreigners like we do.

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:29 pm

We had to installed a new Carrier HVAC system 4 months ago and there were no "correct" thermostats from Carrier/Bryant due to a backlog of materials. China makes the thermostat for Carrier and it seems India refused to sell China the precious metals needed to build these thermostats..........at least at the old price.

We got our "correct" thermostat a few weeks ago and it didn't work (off by 5-6 degrees and other issues), so it was replaced with another new one, which didn't work right either. So, HVAC company called Carrier and learned they'll have to go into the back of the thermostat, where the factory sets everything and make some adjustments to make it work. I don't feel good about this as these damn things are all mini computers now.

Same thing happened with a subzero freezer that came with a bad door seal and a Miele range we waited 8 months to get and required the gas valve replaced. We're in trouble guys.......quality control is almost non-existent today and the backlog from Covid is really aggravating the situation.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:31 pm

robert. wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
robert. wrote:

Australia’s laws wont allow me to run for office or live there. They don’t put up with foreigners like we do.

Interesting......and odd.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:35 pm

up148 wrote:........ India refused to sell China the precious metals needed to .........

And China has similar control over other rare and precious materials that they can very effectively use to control other countries.

The voltage regulator for my '52 tractor comes from India........ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

.......quality control is almost non-existent today .....

That's what you get with a disposable society dominated by a consumer economy......just sell another one to the customer and keep moving

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:53 pm

It appears. If you filed for bankruptcy. You can’t hold office or run for it in Australia

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:58 pm

robert. wrote:It appears. If you filed for bankruptcy. You can’t hold office or run for it in Australia

Now there's a one that we should have applied to our Congress! Last I checked 117 members of Congress had directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses. Looking over the infractions that apply to Congress, it's a pretty impressive array of crooks of all categories....

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:26 am

Maybe a good Deal for Pennsylvania

Hydropower eyes bigger energy role, less environmental harm
https://www.ky3.com/2022/03/19/hydropow ... ntal-harm/

FILE - The Emsworth Dam and Lock are seen on the Ohio River in Emsworth, Pa., April 9, 2021. As the U.S. pushes to transition to low-carbon energy, some hydropower companies see an opportunity to expand hydropower generation at existing dams while minimizing environmental harms. It reflects a surprising alliance that has emerged between the industry and conservation groups.(AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)
By The Associated Press
Published: Mar. 19, 2022 at 1:11 AM UTC

WASHINGTON (AP) — In southwestern Pennsylvania, eight locks and dams that for decades helped barges move goods along the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio rivers will in a few years also generate enough power for 75,000 homes.

Rye Development, a Boston-based hydropower company, is retrofitting the dams with turbines to generate electricity and says the upgraded structures will limit damage to the rivers’ water quality and fish.

The project reflects a recent thawing between the industry and conservation groups, which had long opposed dams that can prevent fish migration, alter water temperatures and cause other environmental problems. As the U.S. pushes to transition to low-carbon energy, Rye is among the companies that sees an opportunity to expand hydropower production at existing dams while working to minimize environmental harms.

The recent compromises between the industry and environmental groups are reflected in President Joe Biden’s infrastructure law, which puts $2.5 billion toward projects including dam removals as well as upgrades at existing structures for hydropower and energy storage

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:48 pm

robert. wrote:Part of my point was lost or i did not make it clear enough. Every country should stop shipping coal to china. So many complaining about china’s pollution problems are feeding the fire.

We can't let that stand in the way of making the almighty dollar.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:59 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:The voltage regulator for my '52 tractor comes from India........ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Stop screwing around and go the Full Monty and get yourself a Mahindra! :mrgreen:

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”