Historical stuff

Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: Historical stuff

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Everybody here had a pair - at least a pair - of these, right?

No. Only pair(s) of jeans I owned were for work.

Well, I meant in a variety of fabrics, too, such as gabardine and wool, too. The term "Dress-blues" comes to mind, too.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:09 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Everybody here had a pair - at least a pair - of these, right?

No. Only pair(s) of jeans I owned were for work.

Well, I meant in a variety of fabrics, too, such as gabardine and wool, too. The term "Dress-blues" comes to mind, too.

Still no. No money to spare on fripperies, and the only dress blues that I might have known would have referred to my father's uniform.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Anybody else out there wear Elephant-bells back-in-the-day?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:17 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Anybody else out there wear Elephant-bells back-in-the-day?

Maybe that was a NY Village thing?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:14 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Anybody else out there wear Elephant-bells back-in-the-day?

hanging with Andy Warhol were you? Partying at his factory?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:26 pm

robert. wrote:

I only wish I had. However, my memory of his presence in NYC society was very, very early-on, so I do not recall being too impressed by his art, let alone his shenanigans, and lots of folks keeping him at arms-length for quite a while. (He was from my hometown in Pennsylvania.) In fact, I have the distinct memory of seeing his Campbell soup piece and his Marylin Monroe piece on display in an artshop on Christopher Street and thinking it was trivial, it being a soup can, and the likeness of her not including her below the neckline. Some visionary I was - NOT!!! Sheeeesh!!!!. The stuff wasn't too expensive then either. I'm not sure my "vision" for art extended beyond my nose back then (or now.)
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:32 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
robert. wrote:

I only wish I had. However, my memory of his presence in NYC society was very, very early-on, so I do not recall being too impressed by his art, let alone his shenanigans, and lots of folks keeping him at arms-length for quite a while. (He was from my hometown in Pennsylvania.) In fact, I have the distinct memory of seeing his Campbell soup piece and his Marylin Monroe piece on display in an artshop on Christopher Street and thinking it was trivial, it being a soup can, and the likeness of her not including her below the waist. Some visionary I was - NOT!!! Sheeeesh!!!!. The stuff wasn't too expensive then either. I'm not sure my "vision" for art extended beyond my nose back then (or now.)

Andy Warhol ........... apparently there's a movie on Nico coming out, maybe already out - Nico, 1988

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:What happened to them? It seemed like all of a sudden, they were finished. What happened?

They are ONLY worn at Hula Hoop competitions these days!

John Webster

Postby John Webster » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:25 am

Had a pair of those skates as a kid. When dad died I found a skate key in his small tools box.

Saw Woody Herman's Herd at Music Hall in Cleveland. Nancy Sinatra was the singer. Also saw Elton John, the Beach Boys, Chicago, Gordon Lightfoot and Crosby, Stills and Nash. Took a girlfriend to see my friend Alex Bevan at the Smiling Dog Saloon. He was sharing the bill with Odetta, a folk singer I had never heard of. Turned out the girlfriend was a big Odetta fan so Alex dragged her over to our table and they had drinks with us between sets. The girlfriend was very grateful.

Had a pair of those elephant bells. The triangular inserts that made the flairs were brown leather.

Went to the U.S. Grand Prix in 67. Saw one of the driver's girlfriends walking her pet cheetah.
You begin flying with a full bag of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Roy

Postby Roy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:43 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Andy Warhol ........... apparently there's a movie on Nico coming out, maybe already out - Nico, 1988

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/movies/nico-1988-review.html
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Roy wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Andy Warhol ........... apparently there's a movie on Nico coming out, maybe already out - Nico, 1988

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/movies/nico-1988-review.html

Yes, saw a trailer for it. I think I might still have 2-3 of her albums with Eno, Cale, and Manzanera

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Do you remember any of these restaurants....???

Classic Fast Food Restaurants That No Longer Exist
https://www.daily-choices.com/35-classi ... =NEWS_US-c

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:15 pm

HONDO74 wrote:Do you remember any of these restaurants....???

Classic Fast Food Restaurants That No Longer Exist
https://www.daily-choices.com/35-classi ... =NEWS_US-c

Interesting. Some, yes: Red Barn; Beefsteak Charlie's; Howard Johnson's; Isaly's (fav flavors: Whitehouse and Maricopa); White Tower; Gino's; Wimpy (didn't they have a slogan that simply said: "Wimpy, Wimpeeey, Wimpeeeey's!!)

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”