Questions on train forums I wouldn't think of asking.

Play nice and have fun...
robert.

Re: Questions on train forums I wouldn't think of asking.

Postby robert. » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:23 am

FD235D78-3AE2-41F4-8CC2-B0759826821A.png
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Roy

Postby Roy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:01 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I am a bit dubious about getting too near large cities along the way, considering how so many (?) of them have become hellholes of crime and violence.

I would imagine you're more likely to be carjacked, driving a new Benz. I'd go in a functional, reliable older car that nobody wants, and looks like shit. Also, don't dress expensively, or wear jewelry.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Roy wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I am a bit dubious about getting too near large cities along the way, considering how so many (?) of them have become hellholes of crime and violence.

I would imagine you're more likely to be carjacked, driving a new Benz. I'd go in a functional, reliable older car that nobody wants, and looks like shit. Also, don't dress expensively, or wear jewelry.

Thank you, Roy, for your good-sense reply. I appreciate the candor and practical viewpoint of what you have said. Not everybody has the courage to admit what is out there, lurking, all the time.
Thanks again.
daMurph

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Roy wrote:

Words to the wise!
If you are a stranger, you cannot know where the good and bad areas in a big city are. Too bad there isn't a book or an app that you could refer to.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

NJPiney

Postby NJPiney » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Having both lived in urban areas (born and raised in Paterson) and worked and recreated in areas closer to wilderness, I can say that it's a toss up as to which is safer. There have been abductions, carjacking, murders, etc, in parks and similarly remote areas. And big cities have areas to avoid, but the parts visitors are drawn to tend to be safer. I tend to think you are safer in a crowd in a city than you are by yourself in the wild. My experience in both leads me to agree with Roy as far as just not doing foolish things to make yourself a target. I spent a summer during school working in Central Park in NYC, including the sketchier parts in the northern part of the park. I was still living in Paterson at the time, and while some of my fellow forestry major coworkers who hailed from more "redneck" areas were quite nervous, I was much less so, yet kept aware of my surroundings and of suspicious characters and just used good common sense. Your number is up when it's up, but there's no reason to dare the odds.

Roy

Postby Roy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:42 pm

rex desilets wrote:If you are a stranger, you cannot know where the good and bad areas in a big city are. Too bad there isn't a book or an app that you could refer to.

There are ways of finding these things out. You could call the police department, let 'em know you're doing the Route 66 thing, and ask if they could please hip you to a map showing the dodgier areas of town.

Planning a trip is part of the fun, and part of that is doing the homework.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:07 pm

rex desilets wrote:
Roy wrote:

Words to the wise!
If you are a stranger, you cannot know where the good and bad areas in a big city are. Too bad there isn't a book or an app that you could refer to.

Kind of like a version of "Green Book," right? Too bad there isn't such a guide! I'd buy it. Maybe that is what I am searching for here.

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:58 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I am much enjoying these postings about my idea of a drive westward to visit Yosemite. Your personal experiences and opinions will be a treasure of information upon which to base any decision in this regard. Thanks again to those offering me such solid information.

I am a bit dubious about getting too near large cities along the way, considering how so many (?) of them have become hellholes of crime and violence.

Oh, dubious one, after going down with trees and other shenanigans that could have killed you, you are worried about the bad parts of big towns? I can't believe you, Murph. What happened to your sense of adventure. Anyone you might meet will be no worse than those students you have told us about. Treat them with respect and they will return it to you.

I used to drive a tow truck in Southern California. I had calls from Watts and East LA. I was challenged a few times but never denied access to the people I was there to help.

Because of my experience, when the movie, Grand Canyon, came out in 1991, I loved the way Danny Glover handled this situation... showing respect to the dudes that challenged him.

Here is the scenario:

After attending a Lakers basketball game, an immigration lawyer named Mack (Kevin Kline) finds himself at the mercy of potential muggers when his car breaks down in a bad part of Los Angeles late at night.

Here the local dudes, driving a BMW, spot their potential victim.

As the potential carjackers make a U-Turn and come back to his car, Mack says to himself, "Mayday, mayday, we are going down."

The dudes approach Mack and demand that he get out of the car.

Then comes Simon (Danny Glover), a tow truck driver.

And no, he did not use a tire iron to persuade them to let him do his job. He talked to them and they left.

Reference: https://youtu.be/0PI8VXaQiWs

It is a great year to visit Yosemite, all the waterfalls will be flowing big time.

Hint--Respect works for Yosemite Bears too. If they are walking across the road, show them respect by not running over them and not getting out of your car. Don't even roll the windows down. Bears are different from humans, they will not stop to listen to reason.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:02 pm

There's bad places everywhere. The Murph can get attacked anywhere.Even in his own backyard
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/03/11 ... ner-in-nj/
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Wayne,
Ask Murph about his experiences jumping into Clifton Gorge.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Mitch

Postby Mitch » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:32 pm

I would do Jeans and Sneakers; no dress pants or shoes. Carry your wallet, (and your phone), in a front pants pocket; harder to have it picked. Leave at least 1 good active credit card hidden somewhere in the car for an emergency, and place a spare vehicle key in one of those magnetic boxes and stick it up under the car where purpose is a little more important than availability. Should anything happen, (barring physical injury), you'll have the means to get home.
If you agree with the Progressives, it's freedom of speech. If you disagree, it's hate speech. There are no alternatives.

webenda

Postby webenda » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 pm

robert. wrote:There's bad places everywhere. The Murph can get attacked anywhere.Even in his own backyard
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/03/11 ... ner-in-nj/

Did anyone ask the bull what it was thinking, trying to get on the hood of its owner's car?

This cow simply said, "Mooo," when asked why it was on a car. I think that means, "Warm."
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

John Webster

Postby John Webster » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:22 pm

You could start out this spring by doing some less distant places. The Altoona/Johnstown area has the Railroaders Memorial Museum, Horseshoe curve, the East Broad Top RR, the Gallitzin Tunnels, the Alleghany Portage Museum and two Johnstown Flood Museums. York has a running reproduction of a Civil War era steam locomotive.
You begin flying with a full bag of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:15 pm

This is turning out to be most pleasant. You guys have given me plenty to consider . This is a good start, should you wish to continue with more.
Thank you.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:29 pm

You could mount up an expedition to the local purveyor of fine consumables in search a container of calves' foot jelly and a foil of Venezuelan beaver cheese.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”