Questions on train forums I wouldn't think of asking.

Play nice and have fun...
v8vega

Questions on train forums I wouldn't think of asking.

Postby v8vega » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:24 am

I figured I could risk this question here where I wouldn't think of it on the other two.
I rountenly see questions where I think to myself "if you have to ask that question, how on earth are you going to build a layout"
Questions where when I need to work something out I mock it up, or do some measuring and figuring, or common sense and mechanical aptitude
I've built things all my life and was a machinist so I am aware there are lots of people who never make anything, never have ,were real academic and their work was office type work and their questions they really don't know..
Some questions if they would try what their asking they could find the answer in no time.
Last edited by v8vega on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

webenda

Re: Questions on train forums I wouldn't think of asking.

Postby webenda » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:40 am

I think you answered your own question Dennis.

I might add, they might lack the confidence to even start on something they have never done before. I know lack of confidence often blocks me from starting something. If I can overcome the block, I am usually amazed at how easy it was when I finish a project.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:43 am

v8vega wrote:I figured I could risk this question here where I wouldn't think of it on the other two.
I rountenly see questions where I think to myself "if you have to ask that question, how on earth are you going to build a layout"

Indeed, one wonders at how some folks manage to get up in the morning and not stab themselves with the toothbrush, or drown in their shower, yet they do manage to achieve some level of functionality throughout their day. Yet, one wonders......and then ceases to really care too much about it other than to avoid being run over by such a person yakking on the phone, drinking coffee, or painting their toenails whilst driving at 70 mph....

Questions where when I need to work something out I mock it up, or do some measuring and figuring, or common sense and mechanical aptitude I've built things all my life and was a machinist so I am aware there are lots of people who never make anything, never have ,were real academic and their work was office type work and their questions they really don't know..

Some "real academics" are more competent outside that environment than you might thingk; I have been the recipient of such a label for obvious reasons, yet I have frame a house, install floors, hang drywall, install the electrical, put on a roof, and if pressed even do plumbing. And then I hear that my SiL paid a plumber close to $200 to install a new float valve in the one toilet, and then, one wonders..........
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

chuck

Postby chuck » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:38 pm

It used to be young children learned basic:

electricity, carpentry, painting, etc by building models and working on the trains. Now they barely know how to switch the batteries on the remote.

As bad as the questions seem to be, there are an increasing number of cases where they are looking for affirmation rather than information. I've already decided to do something stupid and now I want a cheer leading squad to back me up . Sorry there is no safety in numbers, stupid is stupid.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:...avoid being run over by such a person yakking on the phone, drinking coffee, or painting their toenails whilst driving at 70 mph......

I have seen all of those shenanigans, as a pedestrian and as a driver, alongside, in front, and behind me. I've also seen drivers with large buffets of foods spread on their laps and next to them, chomping away as they try to occasionally reach the steering wheel. And that's not all I have seen in drivers' laps as traffic has progressed along avenues in Manhattan.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:47 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:...avoid being run over by such a person yakking on the phone, drinking coffee, or painting their toenails whilst driving at 70 mph......

I have seen all of those shenanigans, as a pedestrian and as a driver, alongside, in front, and behind me. I've also seen drivers with large buffets of foods spread on their laps and next to them, chomping away as they try to occasionally reach the steering wheel. And that's not all I have seen in drivers' laps as traffic has progressed along avenues in Manhattan.

I try to avoid all visual contact other than that required to maintain personal safety. Too much curiosity might get you shot at.....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:

I try to avoid all visual contact other than that required to maintain personal safety. Too much curiosity might get you shot at.....

Well, sometimes, such as in Manhattan , one finds oneself waiting at the curb at a crosswalk, waiting for traffic to inch its way around a corner, and. WOW, low and behold, two healthy folks expressing their respect and affinity for each other in their passing car. The driver is not watching where the pedestrians are in the crosswalk he is traversing. Like seeing a house-afire, sometimes you get caught in a moment before you can safely look away. Right? (Notice, I did not say "Huh?" :mrgreen: )
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Make sure you let those wanting to merge do it OTHERWISE. :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:21 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:I have seen all of those shenanigans, as a pedestrian and as a driver, alongside, in front, and behind me. I've also seen drivers with large buffets of foods spread on their laps and next to them, chomping away as they try to occasionally reach the steering wheel. And that's not all I have seen in drivers' laps as traffic has progressed along avenues in Manhattan.

Well, sometimes, such as in Manhattan , one finds oneself waiting at the curb at a crosswalk, waiting for traffic to inch its way around a corner, and. WOW, low and behold, two healthy folks expressing their respect and affinity for each other in their passing car. Like seeing a house-afire, sometimes you get caught in a moment before you can safely look away. Right? (Notice, I did not say "Huh?" :mrgreen: )

Don't look in the 1st place.

But to return to the topic at hand, it seems that younger generations simply are being taught or having information passed on & down from their elders. Some like to blame the lack of the old Vo-Tech schools, but where are the parents that shold be teaching their kids basic stuff like how to change a tire or check the oil? Oh, and how to go over to HD, buy the kit for parts in the toilet, and taking care of that water bill problem.... My son cna do that stuff, put brakes on his car, and then build me a computer.

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Indeed, one wonders at how some folks manage to get up in the morning and not stab themselves with the toothbrush, or drown in their shower, yet they do manage to achieve some level of functionality throughout their day. Yet, one wonders......and then ceases to really care too much about it other than to avoid being run over by such a person yakking on the phone, drinking coffee, or painting their toenails whilst driving at 70 mph....

Rufus, Takes a lot of talent to do ALL that simultaneously! :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Some "real academics" are more competent outside that environment than you might thingk; I have been the recipient of such a label for obvious reasons, yet I have frame a house, install floors, hang drywall, install the electrical, put on a roof, and if pressed even do plumbing. And then I hear that my SiL paid a plumber close to $200 to install a new float valve in the one toilet, and then, one wonders..........

Finishing butt joints and the corners of drywall takes some talent.....and the pros fly! Your SiL should have just installed a Fliud Master.......and most of that $200 was probably just for the guy showing up! :shock:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:34 pm

E7 wrote:Finishing butt joints and the corners of drywall takes some talent.....and the pros fly!

I strive to attain a level of adequate amateur. The Amish guy who works for me does exceptional work.

Your SiL should have just installed a Fliud Master.......and most of that $200 was probably just for the guy showing up! :shock:

My SiL needs a brain transplant, preferable receiving one that actually works. It's a $14.99 DIY thing that every single home owner should be able to do.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:48 pm

My SiL needs a brain transplant, preferable receiving one that actually works. It's a $14.99 DIY thing that every single home owner should be able to do.

You mean the toilet fix or the brain transplant :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Postby Seaboard Air Line Fan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Sometimes I ask what may sound like something I should already know, but some of the things I know are from 30-66 years ago. I figure there must have been an improvement along the way.

When I wrote maintenance procedures for the Navy, I got a feedback from a sailor who wanted to know the part number for a known blown fuse, so he could test his alarm circuit. After I calmed down I responded to his feedback with "Just take the good fuse out of the circuit" :roll:

(man, I wish I would have kept all those blown fuses during my electronics career, I could have made a fortune selling them to the Navy)
BobD aka Drifty

The Crow Flies At Midnight

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Seaboard Air Line Fan wrote:

You mean the toilet fix or the brain transplant :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

In her case, both would be an upgrade.

Roy

Postby Roy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:50 pm

I'm still waiting for an example of a question on a train forum I wouldn't think of asking.
Torturers, White Racists, Gay Bashers, Rich Psychopaths.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”