Play nice and have fun...
MurphOnMillerAve

Re: The invasion of Europe

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:05 am

Oh.

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:45 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Let me ask, because I have wondered about this for some time, who or what force bestowed upon us, the USA, the prerogative to be the defenders and police of everybody else deemed worthy of our military force throughout the entire world? And when did the American people get asked to pay for it, one episode at a time.

And why are we - the USA - sending "truck-loads" (hyperbole) of cash to countries like Iran :roll: , Iraq :shock: , and Afghanistan :? ? Or have I been misinformed and/or insufficiently attentive and focused during the News on TV? (BH: "The crooks in those countries take the money and run.")

(OK, let me have it. I can take it. Promise. ) :)

In order, apparently us in our hubris. About 1943. Because neither party has been able to rid itself of the "nation-builders".

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:In order, apparently us in our hubris. About 1943. Because neither party has been able to rid itself of the "nation-builders".

And that is a major problem with the thinking of our political leaders that they can bring our form of government and democracy to the rest of the word. Not going to happen and will never happen in the Muslim countries. Those countries are controlled by Islam and the religious leaders. Islam and democracy are totally incompatible.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:13 am

Tom Dempsey wrote:
G3750 wrote:The Obama / Clinton / Kerry foreign policy disasters of the past 8 years destabilized Iraq (withdrawing on an announced time-table, seriously?), Egypt, and Libya.George

You're right of course, George, that invasion during the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld administration couldn't have possibly had any effect on a garden spot like Iraq. And, we know that a nine year Iraqi war with Iran just preceding it certainly didn't affect the area at all, now did it. Damn those Democrats!

Tom,

No one is condoning the Bush adventures in the ME, but remember that Sassami Hussein invaded Kuwait and threatened the stability of the entire region. Bush 41 should have finished the job by taking Baghdad. W’s response to 9/11/2001, reports of WMDs, and Saddam’s posturing was justified but regrettable.
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:27 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Let me ask, because I have wondered about this for some time, who or what force bestowed upon us, the USA, the prerogative to be the defenders and police of everybody else deemed worthy of our military force throughout the entire world? And when did the American people get asked to pay for it, one episode at a time.

And why are we - the USA - sending "truck-loads" (hyperbole) of cash to countries like Iran :roll: , Iraq :shock: , and Afghanistan :? ? Or have I been misinformed and/or insufficiently attentive and focused during the News on TV? (BH: "The crooks in those countries take the money and run.")

(OK, let me have it. I can take it. Promise. ) :)

I can’t and won’t defend the Obama foreign policy screw ups or sending cash to Iran. However if the US were to pull back from our role as world leader, the repercussions would be severe. Regional dictators, warlords, ISIS and the like would be emboldened and evil would ensue.

However I like what Trump is doing. He is maintaining our global role (while publicly saying otherwise) and asking our allies to pay their fair share. Smart and effective.
What is a 'Conservative'? "Someone who wants society and policy to recognize objective reality- economic, biological, and historical."

—Katy Faust

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:49 am

George, I think you should widen your sources of news stream, I believe you've been getting less than 100% of the story for a good while.

G3750

Postby G3750 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:56 am

Tom Dempsey wrote:George, I think you should widen your sources of news stream, I believe you've been getting less than 100% of the story for a good while.

So let me guess, this is about the WMD controversy, right? :roll:

—Katy Faust

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:04 am

G3750 wrote:So let me guess, this is about the WMD controversy, right? :roll:

Well, no, there is no controversy at this point, even President Bush has indicated he may have been mislead. My point however is that I read that you have opinions formed from the best available data and I'm stating that your data may be less than complete. Your response above could well indicate that as you made the five mile jump to WMD based on what I said.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:George, I think you should widen your sources of news stream, I believe you've been getting less than 100% of the story for a good while.

Where precisely would you recommend that one go for more enlightened and source-widened information? If I may ask, where do you go?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:45 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:

Where precisely would you recommend that one go for more enlightened and source-widened information? If I may ask, where do you go?

Murph
I almost hate to admit this but for the last 2 months I had been reading more from the BBC
https://www.bbc.com/news

They appear to actually have journalist that investigate and do their homework before they publish a story.

A case in point was that I first read the true story about the picture of the little girl that was crying. Read the story and then compare it to what our liberal media was saying.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44578339

The child was not ripped from her mothers arms and separated. The border patrol asked her to put the child down so she could be search for drugs. When she picked the child back up the girl stopped crying.
The mother has a husband and three other children that she left and paid a smuggler $6 thousand dollars to get he to the border. She has other family in this country and according to the father that is were she was headed.

The BBC has some interesting articles about the crisis in Africa.

To research what is going on in the world takes a lot of time. The one thing I have learned is that I cannot trust our media.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks very much, HONDO, for that input about sources. I have started to catch news by the BBC, too. They often have news about news I did not hear about on NBC, CBS, ABC, or FOX. Discussions here on MTJ have motivated me to pursue other sources, besides "the usual," which is why I asked my question, of course.
I get so tired of hearing News reports drone on and on and on about President Hair-do, figuring there has just GOT TO BE other happenings going on in the world besides his latest blow-hard in the wind.
Thanks again.
Murph

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:58 pm

We had this conversation about a month or so ago, I'll give you the same answer. You have to listen to everyone, leaven it with a little common sense and only almost believe the "facts" they all agree on. I also have found that there are certain news personalities on all the broadcast networks who can generally be believed (yes, Fox included here) and many others who I would not believe if they were talking about blue skies and green grass. I also have come to believe that our media is frequently at the mercy of spin artists and under incredible pressure to get content out probably far too quickly.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:08 pm

...and your choice(s) for good sources are, so George and I can "widen our sources"?

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:19 pm

I think I will take a vacation from all of the political stuff happening on MTJ.
The 2r forum does not seem to be involved in politics so maybe I will spend more time there.
I hope the 3r forum doen't get as involved also.
I understand that the Club Car is for this type of discussion so it will be best for me to stay away from it.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

Tom Dempsey

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:25 pm

I guess I'm not being clear, there are no "good" sources. You should be able to draw your own conclusions. My first thought would be if one party is always right and the other is always wrong, that's an awfully good indication of bias reporting, wouldn't you think. I don't pay any attention whatsoever to any alleged journalist who doesn't at least give me some heartburn once in a while. Any elected official who always makes you happy probably isn't doing his/her job, as the only way to always keep your electorate happy, happy, happy is to pander, pander, pander. As to giving you specific journalists you should pay attention to and others you should not. Why do you need me or anyone else to tell you what to think Murph, you've certainly made it clear here that you feel your education was quite adequate. I would think you would be able to make informed decisions about this sort of thing.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”