Favorite Movies

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Favorite Movies

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:56 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:How was it that humans came to the conclusion that it was necessary to build these elaborate massive structures for religion. :?: In the name of Christianity. Did Jesus preach in these structures. :?:

He did favor the Jewish temple in Jerusalem.

I'm guessing that was just a wee bit smaller than the European cathedrals.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:59 am

If we look at what has come to be called The Temple Mount, and take notice when Jews visit its foundation walls to touch them and to offer prayer , the site appears, to me, to be quite massive. Atop that mount is a blue domed edifice which has come to be respected by Islam as a place sacred to them too, connected to Abraham.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:15 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
HONDO74 wrote:How was it that humans came to the conclusion that it was necessary to build these elaborate massive structures for religion. :?: In the name of Christianity. Did Jesus preach in these structures. :?:

He did favor the Jewish temple in Jerusalem.

I'm guessing that was just a wee bit smaller than the European cathedrals.

It's all about marketing or, in this case, scaring the crap out of the God-fearing populace.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:21 am

The Crusades- initiated, supported and sometimes directed by the Roman Catholic Church against pagans, heretics or for alleged religious ends. These differed from other Christian religious wars in that they were considered a penitential exercise, and so earned participants forgiveness for all confessed sins.

In 1095, Pope Urban II proclaimed the first expedition at the Council of Clermont. He encouraged military support for Byzantine emperor Alexios I Komnenos against the Seljuk Turks and called for an armed pilgrimage to Jerusalem.

Favorite movies about the Crusades.... Kingdom of Heaven and Arn the knight Templar.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:48 am

healey36 wrote:It's all about marketing or, in this case, scaring the crap out of the God-fearing populace.

By a religion that's based in love, :wink: :wink:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:16 pm

Burning at-the-stake was popular, too, for quite a while, even in the early Colonial times.

Of course, if we think about it, the whole experience began with violence, from Herod's search for the infant Him, to the Jews screaming their heads off at Pilate for Him to be crucified.

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:22 pm

SOUND OF FREEDOM. Watch it.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”