Favorite Movies

Play nice and have fun...
healey36

Re: Favorite Movies

Postby healey36 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:17 am

Jaguar has had issues with "initial quality" for a long time. A friend of mine bought an X-type back in the early 2000s, during the period when Jag was owned by Ford. That car got a lot of flack for it having been based on the Ford Mondeo platform, but was in fact largely Jag equipped and manufactured. He had a number of nagging issues with the car for the first six months or so, but once those were worked out he rather enjoyed it. I seem to recall the thing had a 3-liter V6 in it, which given it's relatively light weight, made it pretty fun to drive. Ironically, he traded it in on a BMW 3-series five or six years later, a car that suffered a catastrophic computer failure with just 60K on the clock. I think he went back to Chevys after that.

Anyway, hoping to go see Ford vs. Ferrari today, fingers crossed.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:24 am

I watched bits-n-pieces of "Titanic" (Cameron, 1997) last night, for the third time (or was it the fourth? :) ) and was reminded of what an elegant and realistic gem it is. The "theme" song by Celine is, of course, haunting, and like true art, contains a truth that pulls us in but leaves the specific feeling(s) and thoughts to us. This movie is true Art.

chuck

Postby chuck » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Healy said:

Even my wife enjoyed it. No CGI crashes. There is a behind the scenes video of how it was made and that's pretty incredible too. The track at Lemans looks nothing like it did in the mid 60's so they scouted around back roads in Georgia to match up with the way the track looked back then and then filmed the chunks and edited it back together. The Grand Stand was built in California. The editors had to match the lighting and weather throughout to cut it all together.

A couple of reviewers were nit picking some elements of the story (particularly the roles of Beebe and Lee Iacocca). The movie is based on real events but a number of things were changed, it's not a documentary. The actual timeline for all of the events in the film stretches out for close to three years not the 15 months actually shown. They considered covering where the chassis came from but just had them appear, fiat accompli. The director said it would have added another hour to the movie just to deal with that.

I really enjoyed the film and I hope you do as well.
Once I built a railroad, I made it run,
Made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad, now it's done --
Brother, can you spare a dime?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:09 pm

Have any of you Si-Fi junkies been out to see the latest STAR WARS movie The Rise of Skywalker. Episode IX

If so what did you think of it ? Were you surprised by the ending to find out who Rey is ?

To me none of the Star War movies have the charm of the 1st one. We took the kids to see it in 1977 and I thought it was the best Si-Fi movie I had ever seen.

Just something about these three that made it all work. :D

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:30 pm

The first three were more than enough, no desire to see any of the others. Seems like once they get something halfway successful, they flog it to death. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ May the farce be with you! :mrgreen:

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:48 pm

Now that the Oscars are over with, did anyone see anything they would want to see.

When they come out on video I would like to see Ford VS Ferrari and 1917. Maybe ** ** Rabbit.?

Just added this. Can't believe it censored the word **.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:54 am

HONDO74 wrote:Now that the Oscars are over with, did anyone see anything they would want to see.

That was nominated or won? No.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

rex desilets

Postby rex desilets » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am

chuck wrote:Healy said:

Even my wife enjoyed it. No CGI crashes. There is a behind the scenes video of how it was made and that's pretty incredible too. The track at Lemans looks nothing like it did in the mid 60's so they scouted around back roads in Georgia to match up with the way the track looked back then and then filmed the chunks and edited it back together. The Grand Stand was built in California. The editors had to match the lighting and weather throughout to cut it all together.

A couple of reviewers were nit picking some elements of the story (particularly the roles of Beebe and Lee Iacocca). The movie is based on real events but a number of things were changed, it's not a documentary. The actual timeline for all of the events in the film stretches out for close to three years not the 15 months actually shown. They considered covering where the chassis came from but just had them appear, fiat accompli. The director said it would have added another hour to the movie just to deal with that.

I really enjoyed the film and I hope you do as well.
Excellent, Chuck. Loved the film, was a little bit disturbed that credit wasn't given to Lola for the Mk6 chassis contribution; I remember clearly reading about the then-sensational car when it was first shown in R&T? C&D? (I forget). And, the film glossed over the English contribution to GT40 development in its first two years. OK. Nit-picking. A truly wonderful, toxic-masculine film...that my wife loved.
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

chuck

Postby chuck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:39 am

Some of that material was cut down/out to keep the running time reasonable and to focus on the interplay between the principals. There were other licences taken, it isn't meant to be a documentary. They compressed time by about 15 months and changed some of the characters roles a bit.

Also, you can't see Willow Run from the Glass House, too far. It was a great line that Henry Ford made about how they used to make bombers over there. "This isn't the first time Ford Motor's gone to war in Europe" great movie

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:23 pm

For the third time , over a few years, I watched The Revenant , again, yesterday, straight through. It is a wonderful essay. Strange and real. It takes its audience - at least this audience - to places and meeting people I would never have met. The characters are "!types", sort of, that I'd never have met, even if I lived back then.

And the treatment of animals is so realistic I could smell them and feel their heat - their life-forces.

The presentation of Native Americans, and especially the revenant that visits the main character at the end, are flawless in their brevity and depth and suggestion.

What really counts with me in a movie is if I could never have thought of it on my own. The original, first "Alien" was like that for me, as was "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," which presented a Mother Ship I could never have seen in my imagination and invented. It was wonderful .

The Revenant was like those two movies for me: places and people I'd never have imagined on my own until shown the way by those directors.

Anybody here care to offer further opinion of "The Revenant".

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:46 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:And the treatment of animals is so realistic I could smell them and feel their heat - their life-forces.

I was ripping along speed reading (which I don't do so well) and thought for a second you had typed feces instead of forces. LOL

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Anybody here care to offer further opinion of "The Revenant".

I thought "Jeremiah Johnson" was a much better film. I can hardly remember anything from "The Revenant", even the heat of the "feces". LOL

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:11 pm

The Revenant is very similar to Man in the Wilderness with Richard Harris

The Revenant, Man in the Wilderness, and the Intersection of History, Legend, and Art
https://www.awardsdaily.com/2016/02/22/ ... d-and-art/

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:19 pm

I've seen that one also, but all can recall is Harris being mauled by the bear at the beginning. I'll stick with Jeremiah Johnson. Brought Ya a Griz! :lol: :lol: :lol:

chuck

Postby chuck » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:10 am

"Knives Out". It's available on Amazon Prime, as a member you can watch for free. I love murder mysteries and this is an exceptionally well written/well made one. It isn't about who or what or how or when (although those are all important). It turns on why.

Great cast, Daniel Craig (007) as the private eye, Christopher Plummer as the family patriarch/mystery writer, Jamie Lee Curtiss as his oldest daughter, Don Johnson as her husband, Chris Evans (Captain America) as there ner-do-well son, Toni Collette as the life style guru daughter in law, Michael Shanon (Gen Zod from Man of Steel) as the youngest son Walt, Riki Lindhome (Ramona Nowitzki from Big Bang Theory) and Ana de Armas (Joi from Blade Runner 2049) as Christopher Plummer'r nurse/friend Marta. A family with a lot of secrets. There is not a wasted scene or minute of throw away dialog. Anytime someone speaks or you are shown something, it's important. From the opening of the film with the dogs running at the camera to the final shot a closeup of a coffee mug nothing is hidden. The surprises are in the way the pieces fit together.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:24 am

Been on my list to watch if only for the cast!
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”