Favorite Movies

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Favorite Movies

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:57 am

Not a movie but an episode of NOVA ->> Rebuilding Notre Dame
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:20 pm

Saw an old fav that I have not seen for a few decades, A Boy and His Dog.

Not a particularly good movie, but it was based on one of Harlan's stories and seems timely.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:41 am

Watched “The Blue Max” yesterday for the first time in many years...what a great flick that is.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:09 am

This remains a top favorite: “The Passion of The Christ,” as I left the movie house , I actually had tears in my eyes and had to exercise self-control. The overall point for me was I felt sorry for Him, though I had, of course, known the story for my lifetime .
Last edited by MurphOnMillerAve on Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:41 am

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:“The Passion of The Christ,” as I left the movie house , I actually had tears in my eyes and had to exercise self-control. The overall point for me was I felt sorry for Him, though I had, of course, known the story for my lifetime .

We went to see the movie with our church congregation. The theater was packed that day.

The bible says Jesus Is Scourged. I don't believe a lot of people comprehended what that was actually like until they saw the movie, I noticed many people could not watch that part and it looked like some became ill.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:23 pm

A very big plus in the movie for me was Pilate’s wife (Claudia Procula?) being presented as taking an empathetic and sympathetic viewpoint of Jesus and His Mother , which featured her offering Mary several white towels so that she could capture and remove the Sacred Blood, from the ground, which the storyline of the movie has her doing. For me, that was the first time His Blood had been treated with reverence, which I really appreciated. It gave me plenty to think about and cherish.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:26 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Not a movie but an episode of NOVA ->> Rebuilding Notre Dame

I appreciated that , too.
Did you know that when the fire was first ablaze that a cleric (I’ve also heard it was a devoted parishioner ) correctly and devotedly rescued The Eucharist from the Tabernacle on the main altar.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:13 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Not a movie but an episode of NOVA ->> Rebuilding Notre Dame

I appreciated that , too.
Did you know that when the fire was first ablaze that a cleric (I’ve also heard it was a devoted parishioner ) correctly and devotedly rescued The Eucharist from the Tabernacle on the main altar.

I was more interested in their finding that just how little they really knew about how it was built.

Also, the stained glass production was very interesting; color matching and then making the large sections. Some serious craftsmanship!

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:55 pm

I agree with you fully. Those are amazing elements to the overall story. Mine was simply a very subjective personal viewpoint, about as personally focused as one can get. The larger picture - those elements you mentioned - are fascinating. Have you ever read about how the whole community and all its craftsmen and resources got involved/absorbed into the overall effort(?)

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:15 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Have you ever read about how the whole community and all its craftsmen and resources got involved/absorbed into the overall effort(?)

Not in detail; the story behind the one large stained glass rosette window was interesting how during the one restoration that it was rotated and reinforced, etc.

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:52 pm

Back in the late 60’s , I took a private class of Art History students there to understand Gothic.

I don’t think there could be a normal person who could visit that edifice and, upon approaching the front door on foot, not have one’s attention drawn upward, continuing to gaze until reaching the tops of the two, though unfinished, flanking bell towers, and feel their intention of pointing toward Heaven and The Almighty.

Once inside the Nave , walking forward seemed to demand continuing to look upward , along the Gothic sweep upwards. Like being in a forest , the glimpses among the stone “trees” suggested the light that peeks at a visitor among the vertical elements. Divine light. The whole experience taught well, the parishioners those hundreds of tests ago, who could not read a Bible, but could well read and understand the messages coming thru and among the windows.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:33 pm

MurphOnMillerAve wrote:Back in the late 60’s , I took a private class of Art History students there to understand Gothic.

I wonder then whether anyone realized that the interior was so dark from the centuries of candles, etc, and with no real cleaning, that the interior was originally bright and far closer to white. This rebuilding will result in something that no one has really seen in many hundreds of years. That may change some of what is thought as "Gothic".

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:10 pm

Excellent point, Rufus.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:40 pm

How was it that humans came to the conclusion that it was necessary to build these elaborate massive structures for religion. :?: In the name of Christianity. Did Jesus preach in these structures. :?:

MurphOnMillerAve

Postby MurphOnMillerAve » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:02 am

HONDO74 wrote:How was it that humans came to the conclusion that it was necessary to build these elaborate massive structures for religion. :?: In the name of Christianity. Did Jesus preach in these structures. :?:

He did favor the Jewish temple in Jerusalem.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”