Car Thread

Play nice and have fun...
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Car Thread

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:24 am

E7 wrote:I smell Tesla.....or maybe one of those 1000 horse Vettes! :mrgreen:

Impractical, at the very least. A Ford electric F-150 is more probable.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:52 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Impractical, at the very least. A Ford electric F-150 is more probable.

You didn't actually think I would suggest something reasonable. :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:47 pm

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Impractical, at the very least. A Ford electric F-150 is more probable.

I didn't think about you at all.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:51 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Outback went into the shop today and I'm not sure it's coming back.......this might be its final elbow.

Always sucks when that happens, but I'll bet you got a lot of miles out of it. What's next if it bites the bullet?

Just under 170k miles today - maybe it can be saved for another cycle, but if anything major hits again, it won't be worth the cost of the car to repair it. OTOH, patch & continue beats spending $40k for new.
I have been looking for months. Tons of cars out there. Only real problem is prices are higher than snoop dog. I’m looking for a Honda crv or a Toyota Rav.4. With 115,000 miles they fall into a price range of 12-17,000. I gave up and rode a bicycle to work until it got to dark during my commute. Now it is time to buck up.
Next? No idea. Given there's no inventory, patch & continue might be the future. I hate buying a car; takes me weeks to find something acceptable and then more to actually lay my hands on one.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:56 pm

I must have hit the wrong button.
Plenty of inventory out. Just priced real stupid. I would like a crv or rav4. Prices are through the roof on used 12 years old 120,000 miles or more 12-17,000. Crazy high. I gave up and rode a bicycle to work until it got to dark during my commute. Time now to pay the piper and buck up.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:31 pm

robert. wrote: Plenty of inventory out.

Wish that was true - not around here.......

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:33 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

What are you looking for. New, 3 years old or older?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:10 pm

robert. wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:

What are you looking for. New, 3 years old or older?

New....and I'm going fully active for that until probably next calendar year......figure after this episode to get that far if not further.

RBH29

Postby RBH29 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:00 am

Hi Rufus,
What's wrong with your Outback? I have a 2006 Subaru Forester with 135K on it and hope to get at least 250K. I hate shopping for cars too.
Richard

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:33 am

RBH29 wrote:Hi Rufus,
What's wrong with your Outback? I have a 2006 Subaru Forester with 135K on it and hope to get at least 250K. I hate shopping for cars too.
Richard

Long. long list but it's been ridden hard; 2011 with the 6 cyl engine in it with a shade under 170K on it. I'm hoping to get it over 200K with this patch and run cycle.

2 cars back I hit every dealership brand for 6 weeks testing just about everything there was that I could reasonably afford. Some days I wish I could have kept my old F-250........but it was falling apart.....pieces of it were left on the roads, :mrgreen:

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:33 am

RBH29 wrote:Hi Rufus,
Richard

Your car is the kind i would buy used. 12-15 years old with less than 10,000 miles a year. Most of the time you could find it privately for a good price. You would find out from the owner that he tried to trade it in and the dealer offered $ 4,000. So they would sell it in their front yard for that price. Instead of letting the dealer profit from it they would let somebody have a good deal. Maybe sell it for a few bucks more than the dealer offered. Those days are gone. Now in the northeast a 15 year old car i rusted to death.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:37 am

Rufu, My Dodge Dakota is at that point now. It is a 1996. Runs great. Leaves a trail of parts behind it. I have no idea where my spare tire went. It hung underneath the bed, between the frame rails. Doors are rusted shackles are rusted, rear window leaks and the frame will most likely be rusted through by next year. It only has 175,000 miles on it.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:38 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
E7 wrote:

I didn't think about you at all.

Awwww Doofus I'm crushed!

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:33 am

Congress mandates new car technology to stop drunken driving
https://www.ky3.com/2021/11/09/congress ... n-driving/

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congress has created a new requirement for automakers: Find a high-tech way to keep drunken people from driving cars.

It’s one of the mandates along with a burst of new spending aimed at improving auto safety amid escalating road fatalities in the $1 trillion infrastructure package that President Joe Biden is expected to sign soon.

Under the legislation, monitoring systems to stop intoxicated drivers would roll out in all new vehicles as early as 2026, after the Transportation Department assesses the best form of technology to install in millions of vehicles and automakers are given time to comply.

In all, about $17 billion is allotted to road safety programs, the biggest increase in such funding in decades, according to the Eno Center for Transportation. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said Monday that could mean more protected bike paths and greener spaces built into busy roadways.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:33 pm

HONDO74 wrote:Congress mandates new car technology to stop drunken driving
https://www.ky3.com/2021/11/09/congress ... n-driving/

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congress has created a new requirement for automakers: Find a high-tech way to keep drunken people from driving cars.

Heard that on the radio this morning and that they probably actually already have a pretty good handle on the tech to make this happen - 10K deaths a year related to drinking and driving.....

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”