sleepmac

Re: Car Thread

Postby sleepmac » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:14 pm

Funky!

Dan Weinhold

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:44 pm

John Hunter Nemechek's car catches fire as he celebrates NASCAR Xfinity Series win at Martinsville
John Hunter Nemechek was burning out his tires in front of his team after their win but his wheels caught fire

webenda

Postby webenda » Fri May 05, 2023 12:28 am

The emblem displayed on the 1953 Chevrolet Corvette was going to be a checkered flag crossed with an American flag. Why did General Motors remove the American flag from the new Corvette's emblem at the last minute?

A. According to the official US Government Flag Code, the American flag should not be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever.

B. Chevrolet had not yet decided whether to build the Corvette at the Oshawa assembly plant in Ontario or the Bowling Green assembly plant in Kentucky. Prominently displaying an American flag on a car built in Canada might generate criticism.

C. It proved impossible to cast and paint the tiny American flag on the metal emblem so that it was recognizable.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

up148

Postby up148 » Fri May 05, 2023 7:24 am

(D) To clean up the lines of the car, as owners were removing them after purchase............there are no holes in the body to hold them on and removal left no telltale marks on the body.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri May 05, 2023 9:07 am

(A). After September 11th all that went out the window. An American flag should not be printed on a pizza box lid. It also should not be paint on the side of a U.P. Locomotive.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Fri May 05, 2023 9:14 am

Wayne, do you read "Newsletter@rock Auto? The emblem question was on that this morning!" LOL

Dan Weinhold

up148

Postby up148 » Fri May 05, 2023 11:20 am

Sorry, when the words "new corvette" was stated, I thought that meant the 'new" C8, not the new 1953....my bad. I certainly see (A) as the correct answer, as back in the 50's the flag was respected and meant something.........unlike today. Now you can burn it just to protest something you don't like. We've gone a long way in the wrong direction in this country.

E7

Postby E7 » Fri May 05, 2023 4:55 pm

Easy answer: Don't like the flag? Find someplace that has one you do like. Get out! Give 'em a free one way ticket to somewhere they like, and don't come back!

v8vega

Postby v8vega » Mon May 08, 2023 9:02 pm

Kids spinning donuts in intersections has become very popular here, I hear them all the time. I take a walk with my dogs and in a wide intersection there must have been a street takeover. Many black marks and someone spun so much he completely destroyed a tire. big pieces of rubber all over a big piece of the tire.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Tue May 16, 2023 11:36 am

Collector Cars
Published May 16, 2023
The mysterious 1970 Dodge Challenger 'Black Ghost' is up for auction and worth a fortune
Street racer is a historic muscle car
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/mysterious ... ne-auction

A once-mythical muscle car will be crossing the auction block soon.

The 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE was owned by Detroit police officer and decorated U.S. Army veteran Godfrey "Dennis" Qualls, who used it for illegal street racing on the famed Woodward and Telegraph Avenues.

Qualls kept a low profile because of his profession and didn't mingle much with the other racers.

He'd just show up every once in a while, usually win, and then drive off into the night in the 426 Hemi V8-powered coupe with its gator skin-patterned vinyl top and pistol grip shifter.

t became known as the "Black Ghost," but after a few years Qualls disappeared from the scene and faded into Motown lore, keeping his exploits close to the vest, and the car hidden away.

That was until 2014, when he let his son Gregory in on the story about the car in the garage that he used to ride in as a little boy. A year later, Dennis died from prostate cancer, leaving the Black Ghost to Gregory, who got it fixed up with a few friends and revealed it to the world again. It was considered so significant that when the news got out, it was added to the National Historic Vehicle Registry kept at the Library of Congress in 2020 and displayed on the National Mall.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun May 21, 2023 7:43 pm

Infamous 'Black Ghost' Dodge Challenger street racer sold for over $1 million
Car was owned by a Detroit police officer
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/infamous-b ... ld-million

purchased the muscle car in 1969 for $5,272 specifically to race, ordering it with a pistol grip shifter for its four-speed manual transmission and a 426 four-barrel Hemi V8. It is one of just 23 cars that were built in the configuration that year

webenda

Postby webenda » Sun May 21, 2023 10:49 pm

robert. wrote:(A). After September 11th all that went out the window. An American flag should not be printed on a pizza box lid. It also should not be paint on the side of a U.P. Locomotive.

Correct and yes I saw it in the RockAuto Newsletter on May 4, 2023.
Reference: https://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/94/344.pdf

The U.S. Flag Code, first published in 1923 and adopted by Congress in 1942, is based on the belief that the American flag “represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing.” It proscribes any use of the flag that could be construed as disrespectful, including using it for advertising and to decorate clothing and other goods. While the U.S. Supreme Court struck down flag-protection laws as violations of free speech in 1989, the Flag Code is still maintained as a code of etiquette, enforced not by law but by tradition.
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:47 am

5 new 1960s Shelby 'Dragonsnake' Cobras for sale at a jaw-dropping price
The original was one of the most successful drag racing cars
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/shelby-dra ... ping-price

One of the most legendary American sports cars of the 1960s has returned.

The Shelby "Dragonsnake" Cobra was a version of the iconic roadster that was developed for drag racing.

The V8-powered two-seater first hit the track in 1963 and found great success on the country’s quarter-mile tracks, claiming dozens of victories over the next few years, including titles at the U.S. Nationals and World Championship.

"The 1960s Shelby ‘Dragonsnake’ program began when a small group of young Shelby American production employees developed and drag raced a pair of the roadsters to amazing success," Shelby American president Gary Patterson said.

Pricing starts at a jaw-dropping $750,000, but that’s less than you’d have to pay for one of the original five cars. A yellow one that was built in 1965 was auctioned in 2022 for $1,375,000.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:29 am

Yeah, this was back when drag racing was fun and before corporate influence came in and changed the face of drag racing. Back in the 60's, guys did it for fun and prestige of being more innovative, a faster clutch foot or even faster reaction time off the line.

Prices in the last decade for collector type cars has gone insane. A local corvette friend, with with years of working at the Barrett/Jackson auctions back in the early 2000's, helped a friend sell his completely stock, Baldwin Motion Camaro SS/RS, at the BJ auction in Scottsdale this year. This car had 22,000 original miles, looked like new, all documentations since the owner bought it new and nothing changed but the oil, filters and since he bought it. It sold for almost $600K. These numbers just blow me away.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”