Car Thread

Play nice and have fun...
rex desilets

Re: Car Thread

Postby rex desilets » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:26 pm

re the 1968 Lotus 7: The original version, as shown in the pages of the old "Sports Cars Graphic" ca 1962 or 63, had bicycle fenders. Much nicer. I thinkone version of the Caterham 7.
While we're on the subject of sheerly beautiful cars (we are?) about the Lotus Elite of fond memory. You could buy it as a kit, too.

Then of course, there is the Cisitalia Coupe. Finally saw the real thing at the Peterson Museum here in LA.

Toy trains are a much cheaper hobby, even Lobaugh Challengers.

PS: Why won't this site upload images???
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” – John Adams

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:40 am

Oh, I don't know about the bit where trains are cheaper! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A lot depends on what your hobby is with cars. Although the traditional show/restoration crowd don't seem to realise there is a world outside of the show field, there are very different aspects to this.

Beyond the Barrett Jackson toffs and the over-restorations, there is proper motorsport. You can get a license and prep a car and do vintage racing (which is at least as expensive if you want to be competitive), or you can do autocross (solo trips around a tight track for time; riotous good fun and not too pricey for the laughs) and rallyes (road courses with each leg set to a time; lose points the faster or slower you are than the set time). I remember doing rallyes on a real shoestring budget; my car was in bits and I used my parents Volkswagen bus! It looked dam silly doing the "special stage", a leg of the route where you get points for the speed you can cover rather than the accuracy to a pre-established speed.

Another is one aspect that is actually growing. Where the national clubs like AACA and the Model A Ford Club of America, with their rather blinkered outlook on the car hobby as restoration competition, are losing membership as the nostalgiacs die off, the people interested in history rather than nostalgia are more interested in taking on a survivor. They can be found, and the pastime is to maintain them and drive them as part of their life's journeys. The only younger guys I see are these history-driven folk, and they groove on feeling a living vehicle through their fingers, whether holding wrench or steering wheel, and becoming one with a piece of history. They have little interest in taking them apart, restoring them to better than factory, and losing the life's story in the process. These people are interested in the car itself, not the techniques and finesse of hand-building any handy car to Rolls Royce standard like the restorer/concours/trophy hobby.

It amases me how absolutely out of touch the carshow guys are with survivors and the survivor hobby. In any discussion they can't get out of the competition judging mindset, so they obsess with how do you judge survivors (you can't) on the show-field, when we don't intend to bring them to the show-field and have them judged. It isn't the point of the survivor hobby, but the show-people can't grasp that we just don't care.

In my case, with the two MG's I have here, (getting back to the point) I've got perhaps $7500 in the both initially, insurance costs me about $200 a year, and maintenance and parts are quite swallow-able, depending on what car you might want to "adopt". The goal is to pick a good solid vehicle that has been cared for, has a few dings and scratches and niggles and shows it's age well, and has good basic mechanics. Fix up the things that need to be done to catch up the periodic maintenance (the Midget I just roped in needs a good survey of the running gear, bushings, shocks, perhaps springs, just the attention it is due and hasn't gotten) then drive it. Enjoy it. Best of all, a good project doesn't need to cost five or six figures to play, and the return from the car is unlimited.

We're seeing more of this in the car world. Meets instead of shows, groups of guys meeting at the garage and getting a little dirty, and then going out for a B-road buzz either singly, in groups, or in clubs is back. Meanwhile, the don't-touch trailer crowd is dialling back and dying off.

There is a fundamental shift going on in the car world, and it's great fun to play. Pick a subject that is pretty common and well supported, like BMCs and Brit-Leyland, Mustangs (amazingly enough!), Model A, quite a few of the Corvettes, and you don't have to put your retirement at risk in the process. Best of all, you can actually enjoy the car for what it is, not be afraid of it for what it cost you to show.

Two sayings sum up the survivor hobby, "It's only original once", and "You ain't havin' fun unless you're steering." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:31 am

Sarge,

Seems to me that a lot of the above can also apply to the model railroad hobby also.
At least the O scale/gauge side of it as older modelers and owners are no longer in
the field. Fewer seem to be concerned with keeping a piece in original condition and
do not hesitate to recondition or modify their models.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:39 pm

I'll play. I have two of these, and love them. Nothing dings when I open the door or forget the seatbelt, and I can fix them when they break, which is not all that often.

That Ranger, though, is an engineering debacle, although handsome for a pickup. No more Fords for me, post 1965.

Tramp

Postby Tramp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:59 pm

Okay, car thread guys. What are the 5 cars you would love to drive or own all things being equal. I was asked this question after an art opening by a famous London gallery owner.

Mine:

1956 Maserati 300S
1955 Porsche Spyder in JD silver
1961 Ferrari Sharknose F1
1924 Bugatti Type 35

And to make the English fellow happy:

1956 Jaguar D-type
That a life will be spent gaining inches,
When this distance is read in miles.

rogruth

Postby rogruth » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:47 pm

I am aware that this doesn't fit with most but I always wanted an early Mustang. Not anywhere near the class of the above.
Drove them, the Mustangs, a couple of times but they didn't fit with my family.
roger

I support thread drift.
If God didn't want women to be looked at, He would have made 'em ugly. RAH

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:08 pm

Cars to just drive as an experience would be a much different list than cars to own for me.

To drive?
Emerson Fittipaldi's JPS Lotus 72
Graham Hill's BRM
The LeMans GT40
A rallye prepared Lancia Stratos
A 1920s Bentley racer, such as a 1928 Bentley Vanden Plas (LeMans) or similar

To own (hence to drive, of course, and in addition to the cars I already have 8) )
A Morgan Plus 4 (the faded red one from these pages)
1970 BMW 2002 (My old yellow German one)
An XK120 or E-Coupe
A Willys MB or Ford GPW
A Lotus Seven, Super seven, Caterham, or any of that ilk

All that might change once age and decrepitude set in, then my senilemobile would be, rather than a white Buick, Caddy, or Lincoln with Florida tags, an nice green Jag XJ with walnut and leather interior.

I wouldn't mind driving the London-Brighton race as a dream, in a turn-of-the-20th-century car like my uncle's long-gone Locomobile steam car.

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:14 pm

rogruth wrote:I am aware that this doesn't fit with most but I always wanted an early Mustang. Not anywhere near the class of the above.
Drove them, the Mustangs, a couple of times but they didn't fit with my family.

Sure it fits!

No snobs amongst us petrolheads...

healey36

Postby healey36 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:16 pm

My tastes don't run quite as exotic or lethal...my top five are:

1930 Invicta 4-1/2 Litre Type-S
1936 Dusenberg SJ Speedster
1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB
1957 Mercedes 300 SL "Gullwing"
1971 BMW 2002ti

Put those in my garage and I'm good. Sarge, you can have the Sprite.

Healey

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:59 pm

I only want to have a go at the lethal stuff, and I'd be rubbish at least in the Formula cars, but what a hoot that would be. That's why the I'd-own list is much more down-to-earth than the opportunity-to-drive list.

I hope your list comes to pass, Healey! I'll make room for the Sprite. I don't know why, but I love Spridgets and always have. I've driven 'em and rallyed 'em but only now I own one. No worries, always room for two; they're small! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Jim

Postby Big Jim » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:59 pm

Wish I had this one back...with some good steel in it.

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Bob:

I don't want you thinking we ferners are ignoring the Mustang. That is the very kind of thing I'm talking about when I talk about the survivor hobby. They are easy keepers and pretty easy on the wallet; good choices and a nice car.

Jim:

A Fairlady! Seriously, a 240Z is worth hunting up again. I have no idea how easy they are to find now-a-days. Do you?

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:23 pm

here are 3 i would choose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0u9iRTWyI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VjkazAlsBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnDik2PAeDE
For the fourth i would like to drive the presidential limo. With any sitting president in it.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Big Jim

Postby Big Jim » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:21 pm

sarge wrote:Jim:

A Fairlady! Seriously, a 240Z is worth hunting up again. I have no idea how easy they are to find now-a-days. Do you?

Sarge,
Not near as easy as I would like or I'd have one sitting in my garage now. Out of everything out there, I would rather have a '72 240Z than anything. A lot of memories rusted away in that baby!

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:40 pm

I am one of those lucky dudes who own exactly what he wants to drive, except for the Ranger.

Two convertible Mustangs, a 1988 BMW 635csi (a spectacular automobile), two Piper Cubs, and a Super Decathlon. I would like something that gets better mileage for trips. And a better pickup - maybe back to the small Toyota or Nissan.

Since we are on a train forum, I admit to being missing one piece I want - a sand- cast Erie-Built. Atlas is selling bodies for cheap, and I ordered one. Now I need to find a foundry who can pour the sides. At 30 bucks, I cannot lose.

Return to “The Club Car Lounge”